It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is YouTube trying to bankrupt the Alternative Media?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I know that YouTube began demonitizing certain channels became an issue several months ago, but it seems they have really picked up the pace in this second quarter of 2017.

According to several content providers, they are having most, if not all, of their channel generated revenue taken without reason or the chance to appeal the demonitization.

sou rce

The conspiratorial part of my brain thinks this is a form of censorship, while the rational portion leans towards the 'better for business' type of reason. Which if true, would mean that major advertisers have a new set of standards on which they want their products associated with.
I find that hard to believe considering what passes for Television nowadays.
A few months back, a large number of channels where demonitized based on content considered racist or offensive, which can understand. As far as what is offensive, and why, thats a different topic.
The channels that have most recently been demonitized have stated it was done without an explanation, or a chance to appeal. Just a simple, 'eff you! Give us the money!'
Along with multiple alternative news sources, several other comedic, and 'pseudo-truth' sites have got the ax. (See the last video lol!)
Heres a couple providers explaining what has happened:

I saved the best for last! Another demonitized channel that also happens to be ATS members favorite (excuse me while i lmao) UFO content provider, SecureTeam10.

It appears all of that doubtful footage provided by them has upset someone. While I am not a fan of the channel, i do not condone the demonitization of the channel either.
While they put out extremely shady 'evidence', I do not see it as being offensive, or pushing an agenda aside from the desperation to believe they have 'Genuine Footage' of otherworldly craft.
What do my fellow ATS members think? Another PTB conspiracy to make us follow MSM? Or just another example of corporate greed?
edit on 10/4/2017 by Brian4real because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/4/2017 by Brian4real because: Fixed link

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

Not sure if you seen this but I thought it worth placing in your thread

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Google who own YouTube want major ad revenue from the big companies, these said big companies do not want their "brand" to be associated with anything that is not down the middle none offensive and family friendly..

Planned Parent hood do not want a ad run just before a Paul Joseph Watson piece that tears them a new ass hole proving they are a bunch of greedy psychopaths, or CokeCola having a ad before a Alex Jones show that talks about Pedos in Government murdering children..

So yes YouTube is being censored as by not doing so will limit their market value, they do not give a rat's ass about freedom of expression or freedom of speech..

RA

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Great addition! Thanks!

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Interesting! Thank you for the thread, OP.
Also to 2ofus for the interesting addition.

May I add that I googled "United strike" just a few minutes ago as I was considering adding a picture of workers/customers striking against United Airlines for another thread here on ATS..
.. and there was NO option to view images. I realized that google has a censor that I never knew about-- and that air strikes that the US participate in are not available for us plebs to view.
I added "airlines" into my search and the images option popped back up again. Hmmm.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Wow! That is very interesting!!!
Considering they have those sensors in place, it looks like its going to be up to forums and uncensored social media to get the story out.
Im sure Google wont do anything about it until everyone starts using Bing and Yahoo.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

several Youtube channels I subscribe to for Podcasts are under threat over the "political" content of some of their videos these are self-described Geopolitical and Economic podcasts so obviously they are going to discuss political things!

Just because their topics or details go against the "official stories" (EVEN THOUGH THEY BACK THEM UP WITH LEGIT SOURCES AND FACTS), they are being targeted.

Google, Youtube, Amazon, a bunch of sellout corporations doing the government's dirty work.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

If you really believe in something, why would whether or not you can monetize it matter at all?

I have to question the motivations of these YouTube true right wing believers if this stops them.

The only censorship here is if the person chooses to censor themselves because they aren't getting paid for it.
edit on 10-4-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The worst part about all this is that advertisers who don't care what videos their ads are playing on, are not being allowed to place ads on those videos/channels.

So not only are youtubers being affected, advertisers are too.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

If you really believe in something, why would whether or not you can monetize it matter at all?

I have to question the motivations of these YouTube true right wing believers if this stops them.

The only censorship here is if the person chooses to censor themselves because they aren't getting paid for it.

Because some people live off of YouTube or use the YouTube revenue to pay off expenses from whatever they are doing on YouTube.

For example, the channel South Front. They report news on the Syrian civil war using different narrators and a heavy amount of graphics. This requires a lot of expenses. They rely on donations to keep the channel running.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo

Because some people live off of YouTube or use the YouTube revenue to pay off expenses from whatever they are doing on YouTube.

For example, the channel South Front. They report news on the Syrian civil war using different narrators and a heavy amount of graphics. This requires a lot of expenses. They rely on donations to keep the channel running.

If a person chooses to shut down their YouTube channel because they aren't getting paid for it, then it was a business before anything else.

That's pretty much it. If it's really about spreading the "truth" and these people are serious about their beliefs they won't censor themselves once they stop getting paid. It's not like it takes a business loan to start a YouTube channel and start producing content.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Because not everyone has the luxury of living in their parents basements till they are 20 something. Many of these Youtube content creators rely on this as their only source of revenue. Sure Youtube is a private company and can censor whatever they want. But when you have content deemed offensive on a right leaning channel and the same content on left leaning channel isn't offensive it shows the company plays political favoritism.

You are clearly lacking some critical information here.
Hope this helps.

Though I don't expect you to watch anything that doesn't fit your narrative.
Perhaps you will prove me wrong...

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

"""The conspiratorial part of my brain thinks this is a form of censorship, while the rational portion leans towards the 'better for business' type of reason. Which if true, would mean that major advertisers have a new set of standards on which they want their products associated with. ""

The advertisers went to youtube to grab the attention of all these people not paying attention to mainstream ideas. Now they are trying to weaponize their advertisement power to silence those who gave them a platform. It's not a business decision, it's political. They'll just force many onto a new platform hopefully making them invisible. Than they'll branch out and do the same thing there using the corporate model as an excuse to turn the new platform into what youtube is becoming now. Censored.
edit on 10-4-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

Our Corporate model is a scam. Using profit as an excuse to shut down peoples opinions will only end with the mainstream opinion never allowing a platform or a chance of a normal life to those who object. Eventually it's gets far enough that people will die. Not just yet but we are getting there.
edit on 10-4-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

Because not everyone has the luxury of living in their parents basements till they are 20 something. Many of these Youtube content creators rely on this as their only source of revenue. Sure Youtube is a private company and can censor whatever they want. But when you have content deemed offensive on a right leaning channel and the same content on left leaning channel isn't offensive it shows the company plays political favoritism.

You are clearly lacking some critical information here.
Hope this helps.

Though I don't expect you to watch anything that doesn't fit your narrative.
Perhaps you will prove me wrong...

As someone who gets paid from YouTube videos, I don't see any of these people paying rent with their channels. It's not happening.

And like you said, YouTube is a private company. If YouTube was deleting these people's channels because of what they were saying, you might be on to something.

But they aren't. They're removing monetization at the request of their advertisers. That whole free market thing, you know. It's just about money.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This doesn't particularly surprise me. It was evident when they started they're God awful "copyright" flagging system, a system that flags content without the copyright's owner even being aware it has been flagged, where it was all headed.

I don't suspect it's going to get any better either. As far as businesses not wanting to be affiliated with political or social matters, they might as well take all of their advertisements off of television. You can't watch a program without some political or social "message" being sunk into it.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

That's not even half of it...
I used to be able to download youtube vids no problem.

I don't remember the excuse as to why that has changed.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Google said they were going after "fake news". This is part of that.

FB is rolling out some stuff, too.

The internet is going to end up corporatized.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Time to get real jobs.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

thats the thing: that is supposed to be a real job now. Technology created new real estate which drove the fiat economy into overdrive. Our manufacturing was sent to China to allow for the full use and development of the internet and tech sector.

Now that the domain has been established, it appears the corporations are going to crowd everyone else out. We will be left as nothing more than paying spectators, consuming some products (often make believe electronica)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Best to look for the next gold rush.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join