It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Muscle

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: esteay812

American cars. Big growly engines. Sometimes pretty. Rubbish in absolutely every other way.

This is a muscle car.

That isn't a muscle car. Before trying to slight another persons choice of cars you might want to get the terminology right. A Bugatti Veyron is a hypercar like a Koenigsegg or a Hennessey Venom GT.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Cars have changed haven't they? Imagine that ceramic pipe rolling into a late-model Dart. It'd probably flatten the whole car.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

What sort of muscle cars did the British produce in the 50's, 60's, and 70's?

What's with all this Detroit Junk ?

If you wanted speed and CLASS in the 1950's you had a Jaguar D Type.

Top speed 162 mph

0-60 mph 4.7 seconds.

No U.S. " Muscle Car " could get anywhere near it. The D Type was the fastest road legal car built in the 50's ......anywhere.

edit on 9-4-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

That is an awesome car too. That's built for road racing? It seems like a race car, with only 1 seat. I bet that thing is tiny in real life, probably doesn't come up past my knees too far. Still a great piece of history and really good performance.

Question; Do the performance stats get cut in half since it's a Jaguar and only runs half the time?

edit on 9-4-2017 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

The full spec of the D Type

www.autosnout.com...

They where built for private customers not just for racing.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

great movie, here's two more the first one the cars were the biggest stars, later the most of the actors would be. this is just about as close to the hay day of cruisein as you could in a film.

and this just about one man and his car

think i'm gonna watch the last one now. maybe later i'll come back and tell you folks about my pop, my brothers and my hot rods when i was a kid and after the Corps.
edit on 9-4-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

ETA:
here's another decent cat movie,

and who can forget Bullitt.

all these were before CGI
edit on 9-4-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Woulda been beyond destroyed.

The entire car is a crumple zone these days.

The medical industry is busy with lots of people that were supposed to be dead if not for their safe cars...Now they're just disabled.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Hope you do tell us your stories. I know a lot of you have some really good stories you could tell.

I think I'll go ahead and watch that last movie too.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I do like the engines​ and look's of muscle cars​, especially the Shelby Mustang GT 500 and Corvette Stingray, I'm not a NASCAR fan more a F1 fan.

On the subject of American made car's, was watching Top Gear last weekend and the new Ford GT40 looks pretty cool and fast, probably the only American car that can do more than straight lines lol.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I have some good drunk driving stories from when drunk driving wasn't such a thang as it is now.

Drunk driving laws don't have so much to do with drunk drivers killing people as they have to do with ways to make money in a failing economy by the state and local governments. The economy has been slowly collapsing for a long, long time.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I think Drunk Driving is OK, it used not to be such a big deal though.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Pharmaceutical industry conspiracy? They're more valuable disabled and alive, let's make sure the cars are safer. Ha, wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth to that.

Really though, I am glad they are a lot safer, I've been saved by a late model car more than once. Some of those old cars didn't even have seat belts!

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
american muscle cars killed it for sure. they were and are amazing.
cars have sure come a long way.
my tastes have changed over the years too. i used to be all about old muscle cars. i got turned on to tuners as well but these days i would prefer a sick ass audi or bmw for sure.
just a personal thing

like this....for sure

pictures.topspeed.com...
edit on 9-4-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

The Corvette seems like it has pretty decent performance. There are a few others that handle pretty well. The next gen Corvette will have some serious performance. It's going to be a mid-engine car.

Did you see the orange GT 350 in the video? I'm not sure if it's an original, but it was sharp.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Do a bit of research and you'll realize that automotive safety is about keeping barely alive people alive so they can live out their lives profoundly disabled and feed the medical industry.

Most industries are like that.

To "capitalize" is a PC way of saying "to take advantage of"...

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

i'll be back, one thing i want to mention does anybody remember hertz and their rent a racers, Shebly GT's,AMX Javelins.

. The other hot rods that customers could rent included the AMC AMX, Chevy Corvette, and Jaguar XKE. Whether customers rented the AMC AMX, the Mustang GT350H, or any of the other options, customers did not always return the rental cars with their base engines. If you have ever returned a rental car, you know that they are not thoroughly inspected before you leave the lot. And, if you think about the fact that computers were not used make reservations, it would have been very easy for renters to get away with removing the fast engines for something basic and slow.
Rent-a-Racer: Hertz and the Muscle Car Era

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Yes, the social stigma surrounding drinking and driving has changed a lot. It's a very bad thing to do, I'm sure it was never a good idea, but it's something people didn't used to think a lot about when there wasn't so much awareness regarding the consequences.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I hear you. I got an older 2008 cls 63 amg last year. Can't afford the new ones, but love the way they drive. It looks something like this:

CLS 63

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yeah, I mentioned the Hertz earlier. I couldn't think of the others. My dad used to have a '73 AMC Javelin. I didn't realize it was a rent-a-racer. That was one bad car, I'd love to have it now. I saw 1 javelin at the show. It was on a trailer, rusted out. It was pretty much just a shell that needed tons of work, if repairable at all.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: esteay812
a reply to: TinySickTears

I hear you. I got an older 2008 cls 63 amg last year. Can't afford the new ones, but love the way they drive. It looks something like this:

CLS 63

all day long with that.
you have yourself a nice ride

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

If we're talking car movies, we have to include this one:

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join