It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney Criticized for Attire at Auschwitz Ceremony

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Vice President Dick Cheney raised eyebrows on Friday for wearing an olive-drab parka, hiking boots and knit ski cap to represent the United States at a solemn ceremony remembering the liberation of Auschwitz.

He looked like he was dressed for a football game in the cold. He looked like maybe he was doing a little tail-gating prior to the ceremony. This guy is such a putz....does he have any common sense? Or did one of his heart attacks affect his brain and now he's a mush head like Dubya's Daddy's VP was?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Cold weather and ancient men never really did mix well, hehe...

Still, a suit and trenchcoat would have been the preferred attire for our representative to the world at the occassion...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
Vice President Dick Cheney raised eyebrows on Friday for wearing an olive-drab parka, hiking boots and knit ski cap to represent the United States at a solemn ceremony remembering the liberation of Auschwitz.

Are you sure they weren't jack boots??

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
He looked like he was at a football game here in Philly, instead
of an official State memorial service. I read that his winter stuff
'didn't make it'.
I don't see how his luggage could have
been lost. Isn't there an Air Force 2 for the VP?

If his luggage was lost, I'll give him a pass. BUT ... if he does
travel on Air Force 2 then I've gotta' say his was of dressing
was in very poor taste.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Come on how old is the guy and how many heart attacks did the guy have.

"A study reported to a conference of European Cardiologists shows that sudden drops in temperature bring about an increase in the likelihood of heart attack, especially in those with high blood pressure.''
seniorhealth.about.com...

I doubt Cheney is out in the cold that much. Some people will look for any reason to Criticize him but this is alittle trivial if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I don't care what the man was wearing. It's not a fashion show for God's sake! I'm just glad that he did his job and repersented us. If you're more interested in the man's coture than the actual ceremony, maybe you should pay attention to the BIGGER issues here.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
How we are represented at any gathering anywhere in the world is important and shows what type of character we have as a nation. If I showed up at a company meeting like that, I'd get my butt chewed off and we're talking about the VP of the USA here. I don't care what you say. When he's on official business anywhere, he needs to look the part and represent us properly...otherwise, if he's unable to do that, then we should send someone else. To many nations right now, we are a joke and his outfit in their minds certainly proved their point. I wouldn't be surprised if someone stuck a "kick me" sign on his back.

Are you familiar with the word "dignitary?"....shouldn't one be dignified? He was an embarassment to himself and this whole country...period.

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Zabilgy]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
"A study reported to a conference of European Cardiologists shows that sudden drops in temperature bring about an increase in the likelihood of heart attack, especially in those with high blood pressure.''

C'mon! He is being paid to represent this great nation to the world. He should have dressed the part. He WAS ON DISPLAY...HE IS A PUBLIC FIGURE!
The guy should have on good long underware under a wool suit with a couple pair nice warm socks, long trench coat and gloves and a hat an scarf, for goodness sakes!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Oh yes when your a public figure attire is very important, perhaps he should have dressed more like another person at this event.

How dare Cheney wear a Parka

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
You know what?

Press in Israel did not write a single word because of Cheneys clothes.

Maybe one of his suitcases didn't make it - So what?

This is on Jan 27 (when leaders from 30 countries gather to remember the victims of the Holocaust on the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazis' Auschwitz death camp by Soviet troops in Oswiecim)

The souce says he sits next to his wife. She is dressed for the inclement weather as well as the sobriety and dignity of the event. (That's why I think one of his suitcases maybe did not arrive in time).

And this is on Jan 28 ( the entrance gate of the former Nazi death camp Auschwitz). He wears a dark overcoat .

My personal opinion:

What really counts: your vice president flew thousands of miles and showed up at all to pay his respects to my people and the many other victims of Hitler's terror.

(.... though I do wonder how he dresses when he operates a snow blower....)

Rebekka

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Harry wasn't representing th USA in that pic on the cover of the "Sun".

Cheney's wife appears to be dressed appropriately. No matter what, appearances are very important.

Riwka, the vice-pres of the USA has his own private jet (airforce2) so the suitcase theory not making it doesn't fly.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish

Riwka, the vice-pres of the USA has his own private jet (airforce2)

Yes, just because his wife appears to be dressed appropriately, I thought the suitcase might have gone lost on its way to the hotel.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Attending the event should be treated as if you are attending a funeral. i'm Pretty sure that even if his luggage was lost that he could of worn something More BLACK!He could of out of respect bought the same outfit in black to say the least.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I really think it had more to do with health. He has a heart problem, you can tell from the picture that it is extremely cold. I'd like to see exactly what the temperature was, how long they were out there, etc. Or, if you really want to get down to it, the only people who occupied that camp that wore regalia were the ones running it. The people they were honoring were not. Sometimes dressing down but respectfully so is more respectful then being in high dress. I don't know if this is the case, I'm just saying that he didn't show up in poka dots or with a swashtika (sp?) on his sleeve, he was in respectful colors and appropriately dressed for a man with his health condition.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Regarding his more appropriate garb on Jan 28th....ho probably got a ton of grief over the day before. Dubya probably called him up and said "Listen you shmoe, dress appropriately...you're making me and the whole country look bad. I'd expect this from my dad's VP Dan Quayle-lude, but from you, I'm shocked...now tomorrow wear something appropriate or else clean out your desk when you get home!!!!!!"

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Or maybe that was the case
lol. One way or the other I think the important thing was he was there showing respect for the dead and representing the nation.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
maybe he just finds black too morbid? not everyone wears black at funerals, nor is it required to wear black by any tradition, it was rare to wear black before commercial dye was commonly used anyways.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This thread is pathetic.

Yeah - he was just lazy and had no manners - thats it!

Listen, the guy is human, the men that take care of his bags are human, and to error is human!

Why is it so hard to except the fact that perhaps his bag got misplaced - maybe even *gasp* by someone other then Cheney!!!!!

I mean, do you really think that he carrys his own bag to the luggage storage on the airplane? Gimme a break!

Quit reaching for ANYTHING to criticise the man over. It is really pathetic.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
There is another thread on this that was moved to BTS or PTS as non-ATS worthy.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Let me understand this, Cheney was cold so he wore a heavier parka. Get over it !!!!
The same people that worry about this stupid crap did not seem to have a problem with Clinton getting his Knob polished in the oval office while doing the countries business. Remember try to pretend to deny Ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join