It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
News should be news based on facts....NOT OPINIONS! That is how 'fake news' came about!

No. The term "fake news" came about because there were dubious "news" organizations (mostly right leaning but some exist on the left too) literally inventing news out of thin air during the election. Later on, others muddied this phrase by attaching it to news articles that sensationalize true stories or report opinions as news. Neither of which is technically fake news.
edit on 29-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Canadian PM Steven Harper muzzling the Department of Fisheries was a disaster.

The Altlantic Salmon being farmed in the Pacific Ocean of the coast of BC have a virus they are transmitting to the wild salmon, it's decimating the wild salmon.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
News should be news based on facts....NOT OPINIONS! That is how 'fake news' came about!

No. The term "fake news" came about because there were dubious "news" organizations (mostly right leaning but some exist on the left too)

You are so full of yourself as you side with the DNC...so of course you have to say the right was mostly fake when CLEARLY it was the democrats who were continuously spewing their disgusting agenda and ensuring paid media (CNN, BBC, and others...) attacked the right with vicious lies.

You sir should be ashamed of yourself for siding with the leftist snowflakes.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I did not side with the DNC in that post. I didn't even mention them. Are you high or something? Or do you just suck at reading?
How The Right Co-Opted ‘Fake News’

Far-right media were among the first to weaponize the term, and Trump may have adopted it from them. In December, after the U.S. intelligence community agreed that Russia attempted to hack our election, Breitbart News labeled the charge “left-wing fake news.” Around the same time, Rush Limbaugh said “fake news is the everyday news.” But it wasn’t until Trump’s hammering of Acosta that the term became a conservative talking point. It’s been used widely on social media ever since, and by an increasing number of Republican pols. When hearings were set to debate Trump’s travel ban, Sen. Thom Tillis posted on Facebook: “Dispense with the fake news. Listen live to oral arguments…” Rep. Mo Brooks last week dismissed a Washington Post article about his voter fraud claims as “a fake news hit piece.”

But none of this is actually fake news, of course. Fake news, you might remember from the campaign, is news in which the thrust of the story is intentionally and completely false, written by unknown people for a faux-newspaper site in order to garner page views. It was so ubiquitous before the election that Facebook has since cracked down on it. An analysis of these stories showed that while they were aimed at both right and left, twice as many were designed for a conservative audience. Charlie Sykes, the conservative radio host, has blamed Republicans’ embrace of fake news for polluting the discourse on his show (he eventually quit) as his listeners began assigning greater credibility to unsourced conspiracy theories than to New York Times articles. Sykes said his listeners accused him of being a sellout for not “repeating these stories I know not to be true.”

This is the big irony in the right’s efforts to co-opt the term. Real fake news, if you’ll pardon the oxymoron, has been far more rampant on the right than the left. The most famous fake news story is “PizzaGate,” which claimed Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring out of a D.C. pizzeria. The story caused a man to travel hundreds of miles to “self investigate” and then fire his assault rifle into the kitchen.

Go on. Tell me this is fake news and complete your irony.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join