It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. leads world in STD rates..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Now if this were true you'd think i'd have one, being the slut puppy that i've been. But I don't.

And not counting Africa throws a curve into the equation as well. Here's the link.

www.rednova.com...

What are your thoughts on it? Could it be true?

Wupy

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Looks to me like a geniune website. I doubt it is anything like Rense.

And it quotes some major universities on the studies, at least the universities are real.

So I guess it must be true.

Surf

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It looks legit.
It was reported on many news sites.

Here's the PDF of the report:
press.psprings.co.uk...

I really wish they had included charts to show the STD rates of other countries instead of just saying that "Sexual behaviour attributed DALYs in the United States are threefold higher than that in overall established market economies."

When I read through the report, I thought the figures they gave were really high but I confirmed some of them with data from sites like the CDC.

They said: "45 million people in the United States have genital herpes and 20 million carry the human papillomavirus"

I checked the CDC and they say:
"Results of a nationally representative study show that genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, at least 45 million people ages 12 and older, or one out of five adolescents and adults, have had genital HSV infection."
www.cdc.gov...

45 million out of a population of less than 300 million is exceptionally high.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Dear GOD thats scary!!!! Makes me want to try celibacy again, but then i'd have to remarry my ex......

Still, it pays to protect yourself these days. I'm going to have to send this story along to my children to make sure they get the messege.

Love and light,

wupy

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
well we have a higher birth rate than most developed nations so its not surprising.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
STDs are no joke and the problem is magnified on college campuses, but to leave Africa out of the count and declare the US as the capital of STDs is completely illogical. I would be interested in more epidemiological information for one thing, because who gets tested tells the whole story. If the US keeps good data on the treatment of STDs and some place like Bangladesh lacks adequate treatment, not to mention record keeping the data is going to be heavily skewed.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpottIf the US keeps good data on the treatment of STDs and some place like Bangladesh lacks adequate treatment, not to mention record keeping the data is going to be heavily skewed.

By exluding third world nations in their count, that makes for a more accurate study as the industrialized nations would have better records of STDs.

I'm sure that Africa and places like Haiti have much higher rates of STDs than the US and Europe but a comparison between US and Europe is better as those countries are more similar to one another.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
lol....
makes me wonder what the metods for birth conrol are in other countries. Some European Nation still do the big family thing, which usually has a lower ammount of STDs, for one.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I think the focus can get too much on sex instead of a meaningfull relationships (which usually includes better sex, instead of cheap one night stands). TV keeps pumping out Viagara commercials, when the problem with the relationship isn't really sexually related. A hard penis and better orgasms doesn't really improve our relationships.

My point, focus on connecting with a person, focus on real, honest communication. Focus on long term relationships. The more you sleep around in empty relationships, the bigger the chance you are going to end up with an STD. The connection and love for a person can be a far greater feeling than just getting yourself off with someone you hardly know.

Troy

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
U.S.A.! U.S.A.! We're Number One! U.S.A.! Yay!

Hey, who cares if it's about sexually-transmitted diseases, or if key populations have been carefully and systematically omitted.

It's just refreshing for this American to read the first article in about a hundred years that isn't bitching about the U.S. falling behind in some asinine category or another.

We're Number One! In your face, rest of the world! We have more herpes than YOU do! Neener neener neener!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I watched a show about Siberia Russia and they said the AIDs growth rate is higher then parts of Africa. They were saying it was never a problem but when the Iron Curtain came down AIDs came with it.

Its a very interesting place I cant imagine anyplace like that being built outside the USSR. We have remote cold harsh areas with great resources in the US but we dont build huge cities up there.

One Russian scientist said it would cheaper for Russia to put all the people in Seberia up in 4 star hotels in Moscow then it is to keep them up there.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Could this be a consequence of sex education policies in the US? Not teaching kids to use condoms no matter what other type of contraception their partner is taking is the way to tackle this.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
And yet when the president endorses abstinence based programs it because hes a meglomanical bible thumper.

Notce how few of these STD's condoms will protect you from?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Grady
You make an excellent point about record keeping. The truth is statistics should be labeled a hobby and not a science - That's a fact. There's nothing scientific about surveys - real margin of error is increased to 100% when lies are accounted for. There's certainly nothing scientific in comparing surveys to clinical tests. You can't compare one set of data against a vaccum. I would guess total infections rank highest in Africa and Asia, but I have no real (or fake) data to back me up.

I'm basing my guess on two factors; Relationship patterns and Sexual Honesty.

In many parts of Africa and Asia, it has been custom for tens of thousands of years to sleep with several women in rotation for long periods of time. That is the type of relationship most likely to cause STD transmission.

The continents of Asia and Africa have a historic tradition of personal sexual privacy and multiple partners - secrecy combined with prolific rutting = disease. Adultery and secrecy is of course practiced in western cultures, but not with the same pedigree backing it. Adultery is a dirty word in the west, but many parts of the globe have felt differently historically, and still do feel differently in their small, individualist cultures.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
And yet when the president endorses abstinence based programs it because hes a meglomanical bible thumper.

Notce how few of these STD's condoms will protect you from?

You might want to read up on how (in)effective those programs are:

Texas Teens Increased Sex After Abstinence Program
Despite taking courses emphasizing abstinence-only themes, teenagers in 29 high schools became increasingly sexually active, mirroring the overall state trends, according to the study conducted by researchers at Texas A&M University.......

....The study showed about 23 percent of ninth-grade girls, typically 13 to 14 years old, had sex before receiving abstinence education. After taking the course, 29 percent of the girls in the same group said they had had sex.

Boys in the tenth grade, about 14 to 15 years old, showed a more marked increase, from 24 percent to 39 percent, after receiving abstinence education.

New State Evaluations Show Federally Funded Abstinence-Only Programs Have Little Effect

Advocates for Youth contracted with an independent statistician to analyze data recently released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about sexual behavior among high school students (grades 9 through 12) from 1991 to 2003. Advocates' report on the analysis of the Youth Risk Behavior Surveys (YRBS), Trends in Sexual Risk Behaviors among High School Students—United States, 1991 to 1997 and 1999 to 2003, found that the much-touted improvements in adolescent sexual risk-taking behavior actually took place from 1991 to 1997. These improvements did not continue into the time period between 1999 and 2003—which corresponds to the first years of the abstinence-only initiative.

Abstinence-only programs: dishonest and ineffective
Researchers from Columbia University interviewed a group of 12- to 18-year-olds when they first took the pledge and again six years later. They found that 88 percent of teenagers who had pledged virginity until marriage ended up having premarital sex and that their rates of STD were identical to those of teenagers who had not signed the pledge.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Ace of base - while I agree that abstinence programs do not stop teens from having sex completley, there is much evidence that they delay the start of sexual activity. Now to me that says that those kids are modifying thier sexual behavior to be more low risk. Also that when they do have sex it tends to be within the confines of a relatonship as opposed to "sport #ing"
Sex before marriage will never stop but if we can at least keep 12-16 year olds from being total sluts and mimbo's then it is an improvement.
We need to teach our children that all sex, no matter how "safe" is a huge risk.

top topics

join