It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously Funny

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Despite providing far more benefits to society than detriments, Comedy And Humour (CAH) does have one major shortcoming: there is no way for something to be objectively funny, and not everyone is in on the joke. Is it actually possible to make a joke that does not offend any one of the 7b+ people on this planet? Actually, no it's not possible. EVERY single time a joke is made, somebody or something is being made fun of. Whether you joke about the weather or you joke about the Holocaust, at least one entity is made to either feel offended or ridiculed. Yes, even self-deprecating humour where the person lowers their own self-worth to humour others involves self-harmful behaviour.

So if at least one subject is guaranteed to be negatively impacted by the use of humour, does this mean we should outlaw jokes/humour altogether? Absolutely not! That would be like saying at least one person dies from a car-accident-related injury every day, therefore we should ban driving. Why is this a stupid suggestion? Because the number of benefits that are provided by allowing people to drive far outweigh the number of negative impacts. Just as CAH has been proven to reduce stress, solve conflicts, create jobs, provide entertainment and help evolve language and communication. We must therefore decide that either CAH is permitted without restriction or CAH is fully restricted. There is no grey area.

So what are some of the most taboo topics when it comes to CAH? Racism, religious intolerance, slurs on sexual orientation, making fun of past suffering, rape, paedophilia, incest etc. would probably be high up on most people's list of what they consider to be "don't go there" material. While I assure you that every one of those topics HAS had at least a handful of the 7b+ people on this planet laugh at the subject matter, I will pick one to illustrate the point I am about to make.

Let us examine the topic of rape jokes. The major argument against making rape jokes is this: "rape is always wrong, no matter the context, no matter how little or much the victim suffered as a result, no matter what actions the victim did before it happened, no matter any other circumstances or variables. Therefore, it is not funny: JUST DON'T JOKE ABOUT IT!" Ok, but there are some significant problems with this line of reasoning. Firstly, not everybody has been affected by rape. In fact, the vast majority of human beings have not been affected by rape. How then, can you determine that rape is inherently offensive to everyone? It's not possible. Rape is offensive to those that have been affected (directly or indirectly) by rape. The same way as joking about committing grievous physical harm upon somebody is not inherently offensive, but only offensive to those that have been affected (directly or indirectly) by being the victim or knowing the victim of grievous physical harm.

The second key argument against making rape jokes is this: "what if somebody joked about rape involving your sister, mother, cousin, aunt, grandmother or significant other? Imagine it was somebody YOU love included in the joke! It wouldn't be so funny then, would it? Well, that is reason not to joke about it because it's always somebody's sister, mother or cousin etc.!" The trouble with this argument is that it is purely an appeal to emotion. (sarc) And we all know that when discussing a topic rationally and reasonably, relying on our emotions always helps us discover truth! (/sarc). What I am essentially saying is this: joking about rape does not mean you condone, support, apologise for, excuse or trivialise rape. That is fact. The same way as joking about any form of violence or illegal activity does not mean you condone, support, apologise for, excuse or trivialise that behaviour or activity. It simply means you are either trying to actively reduce the stress level of other people, or you are trying to expose a deeper truth that becomes aparent upon reflection of the joke.

By this stage, I'm sure some people will misconstrue this thread as an attempt by a wannabe comic to be free to tell jokes about taboo topics such as rape without repercussions. No. Just. Stop. I am not doing that. I am not a comedian nor do I want to be one. I don't even want the freedom to cause offence to anybody I wish without fear of consequences. What I do want to do is demonstrate that for us to reap the many benefits afforded to us by CAH, we cannot suppress topics on the basis that they are inherently offensive, because offence IS subjective! Either we are allowed to joke about everybody and everything, or we are not allowed to joke at all. There is no middle ground or grey area. It does not exist. It is either constructive or destructive for society to permit CAH.

In conclusion, I say this: CAH are not meant to be taken literally or seriously. If you are hurt or offended by CAH it does not mean everybody else is. If you do support CAH then you must permit even topics you find personally offensive. If you can dish it out but cannot take it back, then you are an unreasonable hypocrite. If you are against CAH and believe it should be outlawed completely, either campaign for this to happen or simply avoid CAH as best you can. But ultimately, stress is the single largest killer and cause of misery. Therefore, I strongly suggest reducing stress levels by embracing CAH!

edit on 18/3/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
One should consider their audience. Always. "CAH" or not.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
1 cigarette - removes 10 seconds from life; 15 seconds of laughter + adds 48 hours to life.

Smoking + laughing about it = immortality

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

According to the math, that applies even if you smoke.

What happens if you smoke something that makes you laugh?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
One should consider their audience. Always. "CAH" or not.

How does one "consider" their audience exactly? If you are referring to determining whether your expression is context-appropriate before expressing yourself, then I agree.

Does every person that has read a Harry Potter novel believe in sorcery? Does everybody who viewed The Godfather indulge in criminal activity? Does every person that plays Halo believe in aliens? No. The strange thing about the term "audience" in the context you are using it is that this group of people are not united by beliefs, ideals and actions. These groups of people are actually united by a mystery quality that is not discernible at face value.

edit on 18/3/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I saw a marine get high on cannabis at a friends beach house years ago; there was a lull in conversation they had a beagle that dragged out a stuffed beagle out into the middle of the floor and then started seriously having sexual intercourse with it in many varied ways and positions... I thought for sure this fellow was going to have an aneurysm from laughing so hard. I just casually sipped my wine appreciating the dogs technique, yet embarassed not for my friend that owned the dog; but for the fellow that just couldn't seem hold it together.

That sort of smoking something that makes you laugh?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

The strange thing about the term "audience" in the context you are using it is that this group of people are not united by beliefs, ideals and actions.
The strange thing is that you figured it out in your first paragraph.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Beagles are funny.
Just the fact that they are called that is funny.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Pugs likely give beagles a run for their money... cinnamon bun-esk tail snorting and grunting like pigs at the slightest provocation.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

At least "pug" means something (pug nosed, from pugilist).
What does "beagle" mean?

edit on 3/18/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   

To Larry a place to be a wild and crazy guy...

Not only Beagle but Regal

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

So what are some of the most taboo topics when it comes to CAH? Racism, religious intolerance, slurs on sexual orientation, making fun of past suffering, rape, paedophilia, incest etc.

These topics haven't been taboo for years. Daniel Tosh, Ansari, Burr, Schumer and Jefferies are some of the biggest acts around and they all do bits on these things. Crowds love it.

20 year old me would have been offended at the jokes and, now I'm older, they make me laugh. I collect them. Jeselnik counts down his rape jokes in one set and a guy like Stanhope goes pretty far out there. Way, way out there are 'The Aristocrats' which is on YT somewhere and not a minute would be acceptable on ATS.

I agree that people shouldn't be offended by comedy, but it's people right? Many set out to be offended in the same way others set out to watch stand ups live. Flipside is comedy can be awesome without any swearing or taboo stuff. Brian Regan's a good example and Maria Bamford makes me laugh hard too.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   

During all of the politically correct pressure business last year I saw David Cross in stand up and since his act has typically been one of politics he knew it was going to be a tough endeavor to try and get through in such a politically heated year; he appeared nervous and unsure almost as if he could be yanked of the stage and lynched by people carrying torches and pitchforks at any time... a lady walked out in the first five minutes from feeling "offended"

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

It's ridiculous sometimes and Cross isn't someone who's even that offensive. Let 'em walk. Get 'em out and goodbye.

Jim Jefferies still gets hate mail after his gun control bit years ago - offended thousands lol. He's arguably one of the best stand-ups alive and people are still hung up on five minutes of 2015.

@ Phage - earworm alert!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Perhaps, in Hawaii where there really isn't any particular "racial" majority and gender is not much of a concern, the borders of "acceptable" humor can be stretched. When we can't laugh at ourselves and the absurdity of stereotypes...well, hell.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Off the top of my head, the only comedians I avoid are the ones who are focused on being racist. Not so much for being offended, they're boring and clichéd. Little bit of racism? No problem. Mostly racism? GTFO and...yawn.

Skimmed the Ohana vid and the reference points are over my head.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Skimmed the Ohana vid and the reference points are over my head.
I wouldn't expect anything else from anyone not raised here. And that's part of the point, actually.
Context.

The joke is the absurdity of the stereotypes. It is not laughing at a group, it is laughing at those who do so. It's saying, "Brah! Dem guys is guys jes like you, brah. Wise up." The only ones it's making fun of is those who take it seriously. Satire. Pointed humor, not mean humor.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Amen to that. As I was typing out the comments above, it became obvious how the best offensive guys aren't defined by malice. It's satire most of the time, but there's always room for the old observational stuff too.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Did you ever notice pepperoni?

I got nothing. Sorry.

When audiences started applauding comedians instead of laughing... how about that?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join