It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made-in-Mexico Lego Ignores Trump Trade Threat for Now, CEO Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Denmark's foreign minister (lego's home country) feels the world order won't be as radically upended as some of Trump’s pronouncements might suggest. In other words, from his perspective, nothing is going to change.

Lego is not concerned about Trump's threats of a tariff. They see no reason to prepare for a breakdown in trade relations because it's unclear that Trump will actually act on his threat.

Lego A/S sells building blocks made in Mexico to the U.S. And despite the signals coming from the White House, the chief executive officer of the world’s most profitable toymaker says there’s no reason to prepare for a breakdown in trade relations because it’s unclear President Donald Trump will actually act on his threats.

“We don’t see signs that we need to do that at the moment,” Lego CEO Bali Padda told Bloomberg.

www.bloomberg.com...
Other companies are treating Trump's rhetoric with a degree of apprehension. Denmark, lego's home country's foreign minister Anders Samuelsen said Trump's outbursts on Twitter is not a substitute for any law making that would need to take place.

Samuelsen also said that behind the scene diplomacy indicates the world order won't be as radically upended as some of Trump’s pronouncements might suggest.

He’s not alone in treating Trump’s rhetoric with a degree of apprehension. The government of Lego’s home country, Denmark, has voiced a similar view. Danish Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen said Trump’s outbursts on Twitter can’t be seen as a substitute for any legislative process that would need to take place for real changes to occur. Samuelsen has said that behind-the-scenes diplomacy indicates the world order won’t be as radically upended as some of Trump’s pronouncements might suggest.

Lego is adding 3,000 jobs at it's Monterrey facility in Mexico.

Lego’s two biggest global rivals, Hasbro Inc. and Mattel Inc., are both American. To stay competitive in the U.S., the Danish company in 2015 unveiled plans to expand its Monterrey facility in Mexico -- its only production unit in the Americas -- by adding 3,000 jobs there.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Why hasn't somebody come up with a knock-off product to undercut Lego?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I have stepped on mega blocks in the middle of the night. Can't tell the difference.

edit on 12-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

1) Patent and trademark law. ( I know, stupid, right? Do away with 'em. Trump wouldn't like that much I would think, though.)

2) Because of the above, it's pretty hard to make something as cool as Lego. But go for it.

edit on 3/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

They do, just hasn't took off yet, but these are way better than legos, it's like mindstorm and regular legos made sense. ]

Brixio

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Come to think of it, the Lego patent is pretty old.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think it's time to boycott LEGO.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

These are one of the many competitors. They are basically the same.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Lego now enemy #1 to the trumpaholics...
"Lego ceo is a libtard", "lego ceo is part of Obama's shadow government ", "lego always sucked", "lego is overrated ", "lego is a just a ploy used by the U.S. intelligence agencies to undermine trump's legacy"

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Wow, seems like you may have a little more that legos going on right now.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Those aren't LEGO, those are DUPLO.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Neith

And they don't fit nearly as well as Legos!

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Duplo mega blocks, and the kids go nuts for them. And they are fun to build with.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
boycottboycottboycottboycottboycott

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Lego now enemy #1 to the trumpaholics...
"Lego ceo is a libtard", "lego ceo is part of Obama's shadow government ", "lego always sucked", "lego is overrated ", "lego is a just a ploy used by the U.S. intelligence agencies to undermine trump's legacy"

Screw Lego. I just stepped on another one before reading this post and that sh!t hurts. They aren't an American company anyway, so who cares if they're employing people in Mexico?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

i love lego still.
and china makes a TON of lego knockoffs. its so funny, i wish these companies would create their own designs, but the chinese knockoffs are copies of lego sets.

like an x-wing is 70 dollars here, the chinese knockoff is 35 or so.
the knockoffs are somewhat decent, getting better material wise. problem is quality control. when you buy a set, chances are it will be missing pieces.

its called 'adult fan of lego'

lego is MASSIVE. the old sets are extrememly valuable.
the big millenium falcon set sells for 3000-5000 dollars. yes three THOUSAND.
original price was 500 bucks lol.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Adding 3,000 jobs in Mexico could be a good thing,

Means less immigrants having to cross the border to work,right?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Yes i know i have some.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Without Legos how will Trump supporters stimulate themselves intellectually.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

And they don't fit nearly as well as Legos!

Yes i know this too. I prefer Lego because their smaller and well, they're LEGO afterall. (i was joking about boycotting them btw)

For young children Duplo are great, older people, Lego are 'it'.

There's nothing you cannot make with LEGO!

Harry Potters Bestie loves LEGO.

edit on 12-3-2017 by Neith because: they're

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join