It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does this word mean for you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I was doing a bit of a safari with words and I embarked on a word that is Cosmopolitanism, but i dont understand it in a simplified way, so what does it mean for you?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

What that word means to me is, a bunch of hooey, and plastic people with too much money and time on their hands so they can buy more crap they don't need.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Cosmopolitan comes from two Greek words meaning "world" and "city".
So a cosmopolitan is basically someone who treats the whole world as his native city, who feels that he belongs everywhere.

I have also seen it (in a Solzhenitsyn novel, somewhere) as a code-word for "Jew".

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

For me it means a cultural (city) influence on others .

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Wikipedia

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
That figures. The suffix "-ism" implies that something is being erected into a self-conscious theory.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

My meaning is hooked to the original Bablyonianism ...A city states influence on the surrounding others

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It's a drink recipe, but you'll need a cat (I'll explain why later).

The recipe itself is fairly simple:

1 oz vodka
1/2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz Rose's® lime juice
1/2 oz cranberry juice

Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and double strain into large cocktail glass. Garnish with lime wheel.

Now the cat...

After the first sip of your Cosmopolitan, pick up the cat, turn it around, and lick its ___hole to get the taste of Cosmo out of your mouth.

You're welcome.
edit on 12-3-2017 by SBMcG because: Obama loves Cosmos.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Cosmopolitanism? Jet set, city life, where one's feet hardly ever touch the dirt.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
When you wake up with your face in a bucket of that cheap 3 colored ice cream after a night of drinking. ...

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The addiction to the womans magazine cosmopolitan?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I just used it in a post, is that what you read it?

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   

One that survives in the city center...

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   

According to wikipedia, it is someone who believes that humanity is a single community.

It is like saying that we function like pack animals at the highest scale - we all combine to form a super-pack, as in the way that we let outsiders into our communities for trade or for whatever else reason.

I would think this is true of pretty much all animals, but it is not all inclusive. I mean, even "non-pack/non-social" animals have to trade dna, but the fact that communities even exist proves that we are not one with everyone - it's conditional.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Cosmopolitanism does not have a meaning for me personally. It is a word with a dictionary definition, and like all other words in such a position, has the meaning ascribed to it by the definition found within such a tome.

I absolutely refute the idea that words ACTUALLY change meaning over time. I think the case is rather more that people increasingly fail to understand words correctly, using them in the wrong places, or for the wrong things. It is egotistical of them to do so in the belief that they have appropriately used the word, and insane for anyone to suppose that they may have their own definition of these words. They are what they are defined as by the dictionary, not as they are defined by every other Tom, Dick and Harry who happens to have the sub par intelligence required to speak them without understanding them.

As such, the word cosmopolitanism has the same meaning for me as can be found in the dictionary page which contains it, and no other.

If you are actually asking me what I think of the concept, I am in favour of it. I am human before I am anything else, which makes me the kin of every other human, living or dead, or yet to be born for that matter. It would be a grave error to believe otherwise, in my estimation.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

What it means to me, is that some people, somewhere, think that we (humans) all share the same morality, and are part of one big single entity, we would call community.

I'm a hard polytheist, so it is an anathema to me, and how I think

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Hi! Can you do me an awesome favor, and break down the SEED and what they each do exactly ?

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

the seed??

Etymology?

edit on 13-3-2017 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join