It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden Develops Phone Case to Alert Users if Their Data is Being Compromised

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Cambridge, MA — Three years ago, when Edward Snowden fled from the US and met with reporters in Hong Kong to reveal his reasons for leaving — he asked them to put their phones in the hotel room refrigerator. He asked them to do so in order to block the signals sent to and from the phones. Now, three years later, Snowden and Andrew ‘Bunnie’ Huang have used that same principle to design a phone case that warns users when their data is being monitored. Say hello to the Snowden phone case.
Read more at thefreethoughtproject.com...

Technology really is a double edged sword as it is always growing and evolving. The "good guys" make something to catch the "bad guys" then the "bad guys" devise something to hinder the "good guys" and on and on the game of cat and mouse goes. Now the device is not ready for the consumer market but I'd be interested in having one when it is but I'm still not a 100% on if Snowden wasn't controlled opposition in the first place though. It is an interesting concept and one that I'm sure many people would be interested in living in this day and age of Orwellian surveillance.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Depending on cost I would be very interested in having one...Not that I have anything to hide on my phone or from its mic/camera...But more so the curiosity of if anyone tries to access my data. I live in Orlando and I see the whirly birds all the time...I also work down the block from a DHS office. So yea...I am pretty curious to see if blanket data theft goes on and how often.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
A cheaper alternative to guard against tracking and warrantless searches is to wrap it in tin foil. Of course, if you answer incoming calls thats its own location fix...

While you're at it, don't forget to also wrap your 'smart' ID and credit cards in foil to prevent reading by RFID scanners at building thresholds.

In fact leave them at home, throw them away, go off grid, come live under a bridge with me.

"Badges? I donna haf to show you any steeenkeeng batches!" --Bandit , from Treasure of Sierra Madre

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
These are probably a lot cheaper ... and effectively do the same thing.

Item 1
Item 2
Item 3

If you plan to use your cell phone as a cell phone ... you're going to lose. The more apps you allow on your phone ... the greater the likelihood you're going to be compromised.

Good luck!!

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

The more apps you allow on your phone ... the greater the likelihood you're going to be compromised.

Just owning one...

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Just owning one...

hee-hee ... didn't I say that?

If you plan to use your cell phone as a cell phone ... you're going to lose.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Nice idea and good to see someone addressing the issue of data theft. Flag

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have a fail safe way to protect your data on your iPhone..

Don't put anything on it… It astounds me that anybody would set up for email, let alone bank accounts on their iPhone…
I have iTunes and that's it... which is associated with the credit card that I only use for iTunes and PayPal…

Use it as a phone and for apps, pictures and movies but NEVER EVER for anything other than that…

And don't be stupid enough to take pictures of yourself in a compromising position… If you do you're asking for…

There is nothing anybody could steal for me on my iPhone other than about 1000 pictures of my cats and a few of my family...but mostly my 3 beloved kitties

Not judging but if you hook your phone up to Facebook, your bank, email or any of that other stuff somebody is inevitably going to steal it…

-Chris

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

A cheaper alternative to guard against tracking and warrantless searches is to wrap it in tin foil. Of course, if you answer incoming calls thats its own location fix...

you would never even get an incoming call if the device was shielded from RF.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I made a thread about this last year.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

you would never even get an incoming call if the device was shielded from RF.

Theres no point to shielding ourselves from surveillance, either.

Unless you really want their attention, that is.

I'm really rich and powerful, I just pretend to be poor and destitute to throw Big Brother off.

top topics

join