It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senators’ new bill would let ISPs sell your Web browsing data

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Hi Roadgravel,

If it comes to this, and my browsing data is to be captured
and sold to advertisers ....

I can set up a macro to continuously poll between many
Preparation-H oriented websites at all times I'm not using computer.
And, i can set up a website with pictures of my last
colonoscopy and then it goes to advertisers for their
sicko viewing enjoyment.

Then for real internet use, I will proxy VPN thru foreign servers.

And then I'll by stock in companies that develop VPN/Proxy software.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: sunkuong
We already live in a world where the sharing of information is the go. It's the sale of this information that concerns me.

You are right, that was the ideal of the internet from the get go, now it's near disaster proportions, and under attack from online tabloids riven with byte grabbing advertising intrusions that just go on and on, and on. Google is now the worst experience online, along with the tabloids. De facto, they already sell data, your data, while stuffing your face with ads that you have no interest in whatsoever, alongside stuff that you may have had a singular interest at one given time, like a car salesman trying to sell you a car you may have already bought.

The engineer part of me has been trying to solve this all day long. You can keep some of your data from websites by using encryption. They can verify the encrypted data by comparing two encrypted files and seeing if they're the same. Some websites already use this for passwords.

The real problem to me seems to be browsing data. You can't really encrypt the destination for data packets because your ISP, and every other server in the chain needs to be able to read them to send them to their destination. Like the address on a letter, it's your information, but not something you can hide. I don't know how to go about solving that. But, I do think it's wrong for ISP's to be able to harvest information for third parties. What goes over their networks should be confidential.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Adonsa
a reply to: roadgravel

Hi Roadgravel,

If it comes to this, and my browsing data is to be captured
and sold to advertisers ....

I can set up a macro to continuously poll between many
Preparation-H oriented websites at all times I'm not using computer.
And, i can set up a website with pictures of my last
colonoscopy and then it goes to advertisers for their
sicko viewing enjoyment.

Then for real internet use, I will proxy VPN thru foreign servers.

And then I'll by stock in companies that develop VPN/Proxy software.

This doesn't do anything. A VPN rests between the website you're contacting and your ISP. It would go website, VPN, ISP, you. In order to circumvent the ISP from data mining you, you need to use another ISP, with local servers to your area. There's not much in the way of options, short of builing a 56k modem and going over the phone to a foreign server for DNS. But your speeds will then be bad.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'm dismayed that the oligarchy is continuing at such a pace. Though, surely not surprised. Not that some ISPs (probably)and even sites, more, likely have done this for profits. These politician traitors need to be part of a swamp draining, starting with blob fish Cruz.

Here Are 20 Companies Who Sell Your Data (& How To Stop Them)

Data brokers scrape public information like names, home addresses and purchase histories, credit card activity and other such sensitive tidbits. Then they sell it. There is nothing at all to like about this. At best, they’re Spam-as-a-Service companies. At worst, they enable violent criminals.

It’s mostly marketers who are interested in this information, particularly people who do online targeting. But many of them just sell it to whoever wants it. Here’s a horrifying example of what any crazy person with a credit card can do with this information:

“My husband was killed in March 1987. The person who killed him was tried, and convicted in 1992. The defendant went to jail and was released last July after only serving 18 yrs out of a 25-life sentence. The defendant being savvy and enraged at being incarcerated has been using been [been]verified.com to try to find ‘me’.”
Source
If you can still opt now out with some of these.

Ah, great now not only see it in the hands of hackers if not already but a potential for pre crime usage. not only that but putting them on sites such as the one mentioned above where people can look into other's background info(including what's in the new bill) and more. Wonder if such applies to or was snuck into the bill.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
As long as there is no pointer to you or your WAN IP devulged, who cares?
People who do not regularly clean up all their cookie data, have been allowing this since the birth of the WWW.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mike.Ockizard
a reply to: markovian

DNS is important they can see where you go without it. Better to use VPN. CIA can decrypt it but the ISP's most likely can't.

USE browser NET DETECT with a router with Cisco chips, VPN and use a Socket 5 and no one will be able to find you UNLESS you use Hide my Ass or other VPN companies in USA. HMA is a government product! Use VPN from Russia or Singapore with reroute capabilities and NO ONE will find you or see your browser data..... only the data YOU want them to see.

For those who cant afford the above ..... learn SOCK 5 and use Firefox and it has some very interesting addons.
edit on 12-3-2017 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Well corporations are people now so....

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   
We just had a president pushing a bill to sell all your private information... hardly anyone seemed to get upset... so I imagine most people will pay this no mind.

I was pissed then i am pissed now...

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: intrptr

skip is there, your blocking it, i had the same prob.

Skip is going... going... gone, just like 'Commercial Television'. The slow creep into your mind of the infomercial is guaranteed.

Wanna see some internet content? In the future you will have to watch vacuuming, insurance and reverse mortgage commercials first.

By then you won't even remember what it used to be like.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join