It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory Fingerprinting & Mysterious Barcodes on new Oklahoma State Drivers Licenses...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I live in Oklahoma and need to renew my drivers license. The state has started last part of 2004, rather than issuing the standard photo-type card that is lamenated, they are issuing a completely different kind.

Now, they are hard cards (like a credit card), but require mandatory fingerprinting, they have with your regular photo, a "ghost image" of you, they have embedded information about you that you can't see, underneath of the regular "name, D.O.B., expiration date, address, etc..." that I don't know what it says, and I also have no idea what is in the barcodes. The "ghost image" is there because apparently they haven't yet activated it, but things are in place to include face recognition.

I have a feeling that this another example of us giving up our freedoms, or at least a lot of our supposed right to privacy.

If anyone knows anything more about just how much we are giving up by getting one of those cards, I sure would appreciate it if any members could share any information they may have on this. I'd like to know as much as possible before I go and get one.

Thanks very much.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
If you want to know what the barcode sais, simple, SCAN IT!!

:p

The belgian ID cards are of the same kind, without the fingerprints.
Since we have had ID cards for a long time, noone really minds if they are laminated or CC type cards, the advantage with the CC type car is that they'll be able to incorporate our blood card, drivers license, social security card and ID all into 1 card, instead of having to run around with 4 cards all the time.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I would love to scan it. But how?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
I would love to scan it. But how?

Wherever you can find a scanner. Local supermarket is usualy the easyest.
Or scan it in or take a picture of it and put it on your PC, if you want I can give you an app that can read barcodes from images.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Oh yeah, the fingerprinting card, we have those in Bosnia, brand spankin new, courtesy of USA humanitarian aid
(CIPS=citizen identification and protection system)

They are supposed to make identity theft difficult. Our fingerprints are now in police computers, on the card itself and in Interpol computer. The card also contains address, date of birth, and some other info on that barcode.

The pictures were taken with a digicam, and suposedly are so embedded in the card that some face recognition points are visible when scanned.

I think it's kinda cool. I mean, I got nothing to hide and if this helps improve the security in our country, then I'm ok with it.
(This sentence was sponsored by Brainwash Inc
)

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
This looks like Big Brother is really trying to take hold. Here in Va., Im told that they will start something that sounds very similiar to this in the late summer of '05. We are already a Commonwealth (Communist) state and I figure this is just a backdoor step intent on taking away any remaining privacy rights. I read all about Big Brother when I was in High School and have been following it since then and I have noticed that the govt. on the state and fed. level will not stop in their quest to keep people "Under Control" It will not be long that I expect we will have to be home by midnight.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by FLYIN HIGH]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Cybercat - show me where in either the constitution or bill of right it states you have a right to privacy.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Cybercat - show me where in either the constitution or bill of right it states you have a right to privacy.

www.law.cornell.edu...

Not to mention:

www.hrweb.org...

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which the US helped establish ...

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Thank you thematrix your first site proved my point.

Distinct from the right of publicity protected by state common or statutory law, a broader right of privacy has been inferred in the Constitution. Although not explicity stated in the text of the Constitution, in 1890 then to be Justice Louis Brandeis extolled 'a right to be left alone.'

The right to privacy is inferred not guaranteed.

In addition the government having basic information for the purpose of insuring that you are who you say you are is not a violaton of the inferred right in the first place.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Now I am glad NY changed their fee structure....increased the fee, gave us more years before renewal....my liscense doesn't expirt until 2012!!!
Maybe I should stay in NY afterall...

I'm serious...what are they gonna do about people like me who have changing fingerprints? Every time my hands break out, there are a few more lines added... Will the computers detect the difference and say it isn't me?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
They are supposed to make identity theft difficult. Our fingerprints are now in police computers, on the card itself and in Interpol computer. The card also contains address, date of birth, and some other info on that barcode.
I tend to think that's more the reasoning behind it. I live in OK as well and am due for a new card here soon. Identity theft is pretty nasty...someone I know had his used and was a severe PITA to deal with.

I can't really see that the informtaion on it would be all that bad. Doesn't make much sense to me that they'd be storing other info on us rather than insuring out identity. If they placed more on out card than that they'd probably be a little heisitant to give it to us...

I don't really see it as any invasion of my privacy.

Cameron

top topics

join