It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Effect - Andromeda - Offical Computer Specs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
So finally a week or so ago, they came out with the official specs for playing this game. Prior to this it has been nothing but speculation and good guesses.

Why the delay in announcing this is beyond me, when they were leaking and putting out all sorts of game play and story line information to hype up sales. I mean, you'd think they'd want fans of the game to be ready to be able to play it.

Here's the official specs:

Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-6350
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 2 GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2 GB
Hard Drive: At least 55 GB of free space
DirectX: DirectX 11

Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 3 GB, AMD RX 480 4 GB
Hard Drive: At least 55 GB of free space
DirectX: DirectX 11

Mass Effect Andromeda Specs

Prior to release, it looked like all of us here at my house (Me, Wife and son) were ready for it, except I needed to upgrade my wife's video card, which she needed an upgrade anyways, and I've since done that.

But: turns out we all need new brains, hehehehe.

All 3 of us are using FX6300 CPUs. And it fails the minimum specs. Sigh.

I'd already pre-ordered my copy of the game, and was sitting down to do it for my wife and son when I noticed that they'd released the specs finally.

Soooooo....I just got done ordering all new CPUs for us. FX8300s. Newegg has them on sale right now for $109.00 each, and for the next 16 hours.

Best bang for my dollars.

Here is a web site that has updated the specs with the official specs for ME4, that allows you to plug in info about your computer system to see if it can handle playing the game:

Mass Effect Andromeda - Can I Run It?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
*sigh* so I'll be alright CPU-wise, but my R9 280x is going to be an issue... which means, in a graphics intensive game like mass effect, I'll probably be hurting considerably framerate wise.

I'll just have to go down the list of enhancements that take up more processing power than they return graphics wise.

Blur off,

SSAO ambient occlusion

fxaa anisotropic filtering...

and crank down the shadows.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
lol i know this feeling all to well.
I remember another video game costing me a lot more than it should have on a couple occasions.

First, I had the original PS2. When GTA Los Santos came out, it wouldnt run on the old PS2 version. So i had to buy a new PS2 the same day.
Then when I wanted to play Battlefield 4 on the 360 it did nothing but crash.
So we were told that when the XB1 comes out, it will play perfect because the game is meant for next gen..blah blah blah.
Unfortunately with BF4, the XB1 did little to nothing to assist in its stability. It was EA's fault for pushing a game out as complete when it was barely in Alpha stage.

So I feel your pain when it comes to upgrades when you want to play a game

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I surpass the minimum, but don't hit all the recommended. So hopefully that means I can play at medium settings.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Loved the first 3, looking forward to this one.

I meet the recommended so I can't use this game as a reason to upgrade anything.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I went though this with the Myst games.

I had to upgrade to play the sequel to Myst, Riven.

Then I had to upgrade to play Myst 3.

By the time I got around to getting Myst 4 and 5, my computer was pretty upgraded by then and when I looked at the specs, I knew I was good to go....until I went to install the game....which was on DVDs....and all I had was a internal CD ROM.....sooooo.....had to "upgrade" again.

Cyan Worlds got me to spend a LOT of money on computer components, hehehehehe.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Ummm...I just got done playing a marathon with Mass Effect 1-3...it took me weeks and weeks...(Xbox 360)

Now I have to buy an Xbox 1s or play on my desktop...(I HATE comp games)...I used to play a lot of comp games...but I fell out of that pattern when consoles were all the rage...(I hate keyboard gaming)...give me a controller or joysticks and I'm just fine...

I just got a wireless game controller for my desktop...maybe I'll go that route again...

It looks like my 27" imac with the quad core I7 16 Gig ram invidia graphics card....meets all the specs for the game...(Parallels emulated windows 10 pro running as well as OS Sierra)...

Think I'll have any problems with that setup...?

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Can't stand game controllers myself. Been using a keyboard for games for over 20 years now, so.

Also: I love the modding one can do with PC games.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

you could beef up your system, ,or pay 250 for a counsole and not be able to notice any real differences when things are in motion.

still pics yea, you will see invariably a difference. but a nice 4K tv set nice sound system, you will not notice any differences worth noting.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I fall easily in the middle on my specs, so I should be good to go. My CPU is also overclockable with plenty of room in the case to pack extra cooling, so if I decide to upgrade my graphics, I still should be able to get some good bang for my buck out of it.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I get where you're coming from. I started out as a PC gamer but couldn't afford a good PC when I was a poor college student so I ended up getting an Xbox, and then an xbox 360. Then I decided to go back to PC gaming and made myself a good gaming PC... and then realized that I now sucked at mouse-and-keyboard gaming.

After much practice I've developed a system. FPS games (COD, battlefield, etc) require mouse-and-keyboard to be even remotely competitive on PC, the same with 3rd person shooters.
Action games (like Mad Max, assassins creed, witcher) tend to be considerably better with a controller than mouse-and-keyboard.
same with most casual games, it's just easier with a controller.

There's a few small caveats, vehicle control with a mouse-and-keyboard has always been bull#. Driving a car, flying an airplane or helicopter... all these are easier with a controller. So in games like battlefield I have a 360 controller sitting next to me for when I get i'm driving a vehicle.

Now, because i'm a glutton for punishment, I've thrown a steam controller in the mix as well. The steam controller helps combine the two somewhat (using the gyroscope for aim) but It takes a lot of practice.

I haven't decided if I'm going to play mass effect with the controller... I'd probably use the steam controller, but since it's an EA game that's not going to be very feasible. I'll probably use the controller, since when I was playing the original 3 I was still an xbox gamer.

By the way, if you've got an old broken 360 around you can take the wireless transmitter card off the front (it's the little board that has the "4 rings" lights built into it) you can solder a USB cable into the plug contacts on the front and plug it directly into your computer. Bam, cheap 360 controller PC transmitter.

edit on 6-3-2017 by Slanter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

Ummm...The only online games I've played are Destiny...(used to be big into that)...and Overwatch...with a small smattering of Titanfall and some Halo...

I guess what I mean to say is I really like the games and playing...just not so much the Social aspect of online gaming...
It's hard for me to justify swearing it up with eight year olds...cause some of them have some real dirty mouths donch kno...
Hell...I can barely bring myself to hold these mock conversations on ATS...where most everyone can hardly take a joke...or recognize playful sarcasm...People on this site are WAY too serious for me...for the most part...
They act like they're on some crusade to right all the perceived wrongs of life...and got no time to just chill...

I'm more laid back...I like to treat ATS and the people I interact with as I would people I interact with in the for reals...But that seems to get me in trouble on a fairly regular basis...
I suppose because of the format...there's no real interaction anyway...You all out there might as well be bots...

Anyhow...sorry for the mini rant...I do appreciate the thoughts...I likey when I can come away from a chat learning something new...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I used to play a couple of MMOs. One was MOUL (Myst Online: Uru Live), the other was EVE Online.

There were many things I enjoyed with both of them, but over all, I don't really do MMOs anymore.

Diablo 3 in co-op mode with my wife and son, but I don't see that as a MMO, just the 3 of us hanging out.

Now, I do game with a group of friends, but it ain't online. Instead we have to use our imaginations and roll dice, normally after I've fixed them all dinner.
edit on 3/6/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I miss tabletop gaming ...

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Going to enjoy this game immensely ...
My only concern is ram, I have 8gb 3000mhz, but 8gb pagefile on both my ssd's...

The time for an extra 8gb is looming..

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

edit on 7-3-2017 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

RAM is one thing I don't have to worry about. I went nuts last year and I have 24 GB, heh.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I am going to be playing on Xbox 1, dont judge me, so my specs are xbox 1, 55" samsung and 5.1 surround sound

top topics

join