It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing bids MH-139 for UH-1N replacement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Boeing is partnering with Leonardo to offer the MH-139 version of the AW139. The AW139 is built in Philadelphia at the AW facility. So far, Sikorsky is offering the UH-60U. The UH-1N replacement hit a recent snag when the manufacturers approached the Air Force saying that there are no existing airframes that match the requirements in the RFP. There are several that can be made to fit the parameters with minor modifications, however, but it will push the program back probably a year or more.

Boeing announced Thursday that they intend to enter the competition to replace the Air Force’s venerable Huey helicopter with a MH-139 variant of the Leonardo AW139. Leonardo, an Italian aerospace company says there are about 900 AW139s in service around the world in many countries including Ireland, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Qatar and Thailand according to Boeing.

fightersweep.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Nice rescue footage. They always show that to sell the benign aspect. Benign Boeing has another purpose in mind...

Boeing MH-139

Military variant based on the American-built AW139, a contender as a replacement for the United States Air Force UH-1N fleet.

wiki

Factories for war churning away...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Not trying to be a wise guy but that MH-139 looks like a Blackhawk UH-60. Is that done intentionally? What gives??

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Form follows function. Both are troop transports, which means they're going to have a fairly large cabin. That limits the shape that you can use for the mission. The UH-60L carries 11 troops, the AW139 carries 15 passengers, which will come down a little with the MH139.
edit on 3/3/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have always wondered ........

Why do rescue through a side door .... when a door opening in the middle of the floor would keep the machine balanced and allow better handling once inside.

Why?

As for the helicopters, nice!

P

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

They actually did that once upon a time. Now they put cargo slings under the centerline to carry external cargo. If they put a door there, they couldn't put the sling in place, as the door wouldn't be as strong as the frame currently is.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks.

P

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Replacement?
As in, "Soon to be in development"
Then what's been flying over here on this side of the state north of Pittsburgh? Many have been spotting a Sikorsky style helicopter flying the tree lines around the Gibsonia area. Claims are that it's pretty quiet until it's right over you.

There is another member here that has inquired your expertise in the matter. This member lives in that area. I put that info asside in my mind for future reference. Because Sikorsky I thought was near Bridgeport Conn. This new info put them in eastern pa now. My father has seen it, I had to listen as he's spent 22 years in the Pennsylvania Air National Guard. So he's a pretty good observer of what flys in this area. Lol.. and this he claims is highly unusual.

S and F good sir.

edit on 4-3-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

The AW169 has been flying for years. The MH169 needs to be developed though.

That would most likely be the AW609 that has been heard. Airframe #2 came over from Italy after #1 crashed. The third airframe was built in PA and was going to go to Italy for modification.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

AW169 is similar to this style helicopter.

Lifeflight 5, it's unmistakable to me and my dad. In fact I use to be assigned to this vary helicopter out of Butler County Airport North of here in the sightings location. It is now at the Rostraver Airport southeast of Pittsburgh.

And it's definitely not an Osprey disign being sighted either. But I will make a phone call here shortly to my dad to get more details.😊👍

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Life flight also flies a Dauphin in Western PA.

Where do you live? I'm in Butler.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I'm in Kennedy now. But I was living in Cranberry TWP when I was assigned some ten years ago.
Lifeflight 5 rotated out of Butler County Airport shortly after to Rostraver. From there it was supposed to be replaced due to aging flight hours.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Yeah, I need more than "it sounds weird".

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

MSA is a big employer in the area. The make all kinds of goodies. SCBA's for firefighters. To carbon fiber materials. I completely caught off guard to find out they had a facility here.
msa.com...

This is were my dad and many others have been seeing this helicopter quietly buzzing the tree lines during the day and especially at night.

I just called my dad. His many sightings plus the guys he works with (5 are former Airforce and Army). Are stating that it is definitely a BlackHawk but slightly different. Painted either very dark grey or straight black matte. Key Word here is "Qiet" during flight. I find this odd because when Blackhawks fly over my house headed to Pittsburgh Intl Airport, I hear them 5 minutes before they get here. They are noisy. ☺

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

MH-60M with noise reduction technology. They've been working on ways to quiet them down for SOCOM for a few years. That's one of the big "stealth" things. You can't really reduce the RCS of that main rotor, so you reduce other features that give it away, such as noise.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

They're all saying the same thing. "If I hadn't looked up as it flew over, I would've not seen it at all"
You can't hear it till it's right over you. Me personally would need new pants if that happened to me.
From where they work not far from Pittsburgh Northeast Airport, they can watch it fly around.
If they look at the right times. But most of it's flight time seems to be at night.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

That's when the MH-60s are most at home. The one drawback to the helicopter is that you can usually hear it coming from miles. In many cases, not long enough for *you* to respond, but long enough out that *other* people can respond. Reducing the noise of one has been a high priority for years. That's one of several reasons the NOTAR came about.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Very familiar with NOTAR. But that's not going to reduce the main rotor. I'm going to admit I'm perplexed. Big or small, I can hear them coming from miles away. There are Apache's east of here in WV. Sometimes they will fly in formation with a Chinook following the ohio river going right to The Point. That sound resonates for 15 to 20 minutes.

My dad is retired now and delivers School Busses with his former 112th Security Police/TFW and 171rst ARW buddies. LoL, they're convinced that they are targets because of a Big Yellow School Bus.😅

Edit: Sorry I should have said Russellton Pa. You'll find Pittsburgh Northeast Airport there.

I also want the mention that the MSA you see listed at the airport is just a Paper Shredding Company.

This Is the other Company on the property.
www.msasafety.com...

So in other words. The msa atvthe airport (the Shredding Company) wasshowing as the MSA (Mine Safety) Company
Not long ago. It was changed🤔

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Something like 90% of the noise you hear is from the tail rotor. That's why the NOTAR was so quiet.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Heads up! Wings Over Pittsburgh is back this year. May 13th & 14th at the 911. F-22 Demonstration Team will be there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join