It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about writing a book...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
So I'm thinking of writing a book. I've been thinking about it for years actually. Years and years even. I've seen so many things.

My challenge has always been how to capture the thoughts, the things emotional and the sights unspeakable. The emotions and visions are just unimaginable. Yet I stood there and witnessed them all. Some were magnificent beyond description, and others were horrific beyond comprehension, but at the end of the day, collectively, they all make the person. Good or bad, it is what it is, and nothing can change it.

To walk to the edge, and off into the darkness and leave it all behind, would be a shame. So many lessons lost, just a shame.

To the book...there are many. And, I've started so many of them, never to finish. Perhaps one day I should just sit down and write in all of them until they have a finish. Thousands of pages, seemingly never to finish. Volumes upon volumes of "stuff". Boxes and boxes of manuscripts, written in pencil (and some pen).

Perhaps it's not so much about the story, but the way it's told. Always too shy to share those things, but with those I have, they say they're great. In some respects it's like singing a song in front of an audience (it seems embarrassing). In the end though, what to do with all that stuff?

Perhaps sharing it, perhaps finishing some of it...and sharing it with people would be so rewarding.

Oh, the things I've seen. The things I've seen.

edit on 2/13/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Having read your posts over the past year or so I vote yes. Just the stories and musings. I'd read it in a minute.

If you worry about structure, pacing, and such I'd be happy to read and offer advice. I've been doing rewrites and helping people write for years and enjoy it. The hard part is spilling it all out on the page. The easy part is to edit and move things.

I'd imagine you'd have an excellent collection of short essays, perhaps a bit longer than your usual posts. I hope you decide to do it. Feel free to send a pm and I can provide email details for more discussion.
edit on 2/13/17 by Ksihkehe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Can you provide us with any subtle or minor details as to the subject matter? Nothing that will give it away entirely, but I'm genuinely interested and want to know more

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Having read your posts over the past year or so I vote yes. Just the stories and musings. I'd read it in a minute.

I agree with this post. You have a unique and interesting voice. Reading always helps your writing as well so I'd suggest pulling out all those classics asap!

I'll buy your book

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Read his post history. It's a wealth of great stories and musings.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

See, he's already pulled you in!

You have your back cover written already Flyingclaydisk

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
A quote from Pablo Picasso comes to mind.
"If you want to be a painter, paint."

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So here is just an example...posted in "Short Stories" just now...

LInk to Story

But there are so many, just so, so, many.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Thanks, all.

To me, trying to bridge the gap between the spoken word and the written one is golden. That little bit of emotion, the inflection, the expression...it's so hard to capture. It's a quest and an art. To me, writing a story the same way it would be told is the ultimate quest, because a really good story, told, never goes to waste.

If I could leave something behind, it would be to capture that moment, that essence. Forever told.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
On a side note, I am also an 'amateur' photographer too. My philosophy with pictures is the same as that of my writing, trying to capture an emotion, a spirit and a thought...in a picture. On the best day, it's a picture that doesn't require a caption, or an explanation, if you can get it just right. It's my quest.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You need an angle, something different that is done rarely.

For my books it is psychology, that is what is different.

Fiction / non-fiction? A choice to be made.

A book of short stories perhaps. Easier for you as your writing already tends to this.

Do you wish to simply write ... or do you want to make money?

First, find out what are your own motivations.

I write simply for the pleasure it brings me.

P

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I have no real belief any of this will make me any money to speak of, but as for subject; it's all non-fiction. It's just about sharing the moment, a moment many will never see or experience. Wouldn't be a loss not to?

In photography, I call it the "mind's eye". It's that one emotion everyone feels at some point in their lives, but just can't put their finger on. Just can't describe. If you can share it, capture it and convey it to others it's magical. It's lasting and means something. It's something people can take away, something of value.

No, it's not about money; it's just about the moment. You see, I remember all these things, all these events. I stored them all up for some reason, but to share them; that's the end-game. If not that, then what?

Thanks, and God Bless.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Relating to your comment about my apparent ability for short stories, yes, those are what I share here. I think something longer would not be appreciated. And, I like to get to the point, but I have much longer works, both non-fiction and fiction. Ironically, even the fiction is based on non-fiction events and images. Anyway, just thought I'd fill in that blank.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk just, please write something amazing . We've had enough of boring books already 📚

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I have enjoyed many of the stories you have shared with us and I think it would be a shame if you did not pursue having some of them put into a book and published. You have a natural talent for story telling and much to tell...so why not ?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Go for it. I like the stories you've shared here. The ones featuring your adventures with your old friend Ward would be funny.
edit on 14-2-2017 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You have a real talent. Your imagery is wonderful.

Have you ever thought about translating your stories to a visual medium.

www.celtx.com...

top topics

join