It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New T-X Compeitor :) (note smiley face)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Stavatti Aerospace has thrown its hat – or Javelin – into the ring to replace the US Air Force's jet trainer fleet. Coming in the wake of two major contestants withdrawing from the USAF Advanced Pilot Training Program (T-X) competition, the Javelin's entry shows that the contest to succeed the Air Force's fleet of 400 T-38 aircraft that have been in service for over half a century is still very much open.

According to Stavatti, the twin-engine, two-seater Javelin began life in 1998 as the Javelin Mk-30 – a two-seat civil jet sport plane developed by the Aviation Technology Group (ATG) starting in 1998. Despite drawing orders for 151 aircraft and a 2004 partnership with Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) to develop a military version, the Javelin Mk-30 only reached the prototype phase before the company declared bankruptcy in 2008.

On November 14, 2016, Minnesota-based Stavatti was awarded a license to develop, prototype, certify, manufacture, sell, and support the Javelin. The company then began redesign work before announcing its entry into the T-X competition.

newatlas.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A sportier looking Tweet that looks like a fighter.

Knowing nothing else about it I can see the top brass wanting it for that reason alone.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

It looks remarkably like Scorpion. I don't see them getting it honestly. It's going to be Boeing's to lose, unless Lockheed gets the T-50 cost down.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yes, St. Louis needs aircraft to build or its likely to close. The last Hornets and Eagles are making their way out the doors very soon. I know our military doesn't like to be political, but there's no way they would let this plant close.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

From what I'm hearing industrial protection doesn't have anything to do with it. They're coming in lower than expected.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

That's good to hear, but I'm sure folks will speculate once Boeing wins.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I only could find 4 pictures through a quick google search and 2 where photo shopped, but this is a nice looking bird, and definitely seems like a good trainer.

There isn't all the information on it quite yet but I did find some specs.

The Javelin Mk-30 trainer has a maximum speed of Mach 0.95 and a design load factor of +6g to -3g. The stall landing weight speed is less than 100kt and landing weight approach speed around 130kt.Ceiling: 45,000 foot (13,716 meter)
Max Range: 1,000 nautical mile (1,852 kilometer)

I love how they get the trainers right at the edge of the sound barrier without passing it. It definitely has my vote.

Thanks OP for this thread.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Boeing is one of the reasons that the number of entries has dropped precipitously. They're apparently under $20M flyaway cost on their bid.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Would a hush-hush manufacturing technology have something to do withe the cost of the Boeing bird?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgermole42

Almost certainly. It's supposed to bring their costs down.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Badgermole42

Almost certainly. It's supposed to bring their costs down.

Yeah Black Diamond which did not make a difference in the LSRB may in this contest because of the numbers. I'm skeptical of this bid because they simply do not have a large enough industrial base to make the bid realistic given how late in the game it is. Even the last minute addition of a prime that has dropped out would still make this bid significantly riskier than the others still in the competition.

Full disclosure I am a Boeing shareholder, but I think they may be willing to take a significant loss on the USAF bid because of all of the after work and foreign bid potential.

Its a cool looking plane. Almost like the offspring of a F-20 and F-18

edit on 2/7/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They'll take a hit if they have to to keep St Louis open. This isn't an insubstantial order, but has much potential for follow ons.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: FredT

They'll take a hit if they have to to keep St Louis open. This isn't an insubstantial order, but has much potential for follow ons.

Yep I think they are banking on the long play for this. Many AF's will follow the USAF lead once a plane is selected. Its the same strategy as the Pegasus.

top topics

join