It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will you handle friends that did not prepare?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Purely hypothetical obviously at this point and time..

But if you are like me, you have reached out to people that you know and trust to try and form a group that will get together if the SHTF.

More time than not I have been met with, that will never happen no need to prepare... on occasion I have been told I will come to your place if it happens since I know you are preparing.

while talking with the wife I realized I do not know how I would deal with people I have known for years... I know the spouses and the kids... showing up at my door step with hat in hand looking for help.

To be perfectly honest I am counting on my wifes protective streak of family first, because I would have a hard time saying no to the kids... So at this moment we do not have a plan for this issue.

So the question is how will you handle people showing up looking for a handout because they knew you prepared and they didn't bother to?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Purely hypothetical obviously at this point and time..

But if you are like me, you have reached out to people that you know and trust to try and form a group that will get together if the SHTF.

More time than not I have been met with, that will never happen no need to prepare... on occasion I have been told I will come to your place if it happens since I know you are preparing.

while talking with the wife I realized I do not know how I would deal with people I have known for years... I know the spouses and the kids... showing up at my door step with hat in hand looking for help.

To be perfectly honest I am counting on my wifes protective streak of family first, because I would have a hard time saying no to the kids... So at this moment we do not have a plan for this issue.

So the question is how will you handle people showing up looking for a handout because they knew you prepared and they didn't bother to?

Sadly, due to my inability to form normal human relationships, I'm looking at a pretty bleak lone wolf type of scenario with regard to post apocalyptic life.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

They will turn into my slave.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

The old post apocalypse ruler scenario, that never turns out bad.

Probably going to be a pretty short run for you.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If skillful, take them in.
If useless. Eat them i guess.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

The old post apocalypse ruler scenario, that never turns out bad.

Probably going to be a pretty short run for you.

My friends and I would stand our grounds and only allow those with special skills or knowledge to be part of the team.

If this was a zombie apocalypse then it would work out for no one.

edit on 1-2-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Oh, you failed to make any preparations for the "just in case" scenarios? Too bad for you.

"See ya!
"

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I've put a lot of thought into this, and also don't have an answer.

Currently I live on the outer edge of the biggest city in the state, so if things go sideways I'm hitting the road and heading north. I could walk to my brothers in a few days, if I had to- but not with most of my supplies.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Also a nice philosophical question, since it's only hypothetical.

The logical me would say, does their skill set enable me to access new resources? Or else no.
Defence and "nest building", improvements and so on, would start to get relevant if you can take a further eater in and still sustain for at least a year.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

This is question that has been pondered before. Rod Sterling had an episode that addressed this issue.

If they know about it and you don't let them in, they will become the bigger monster to fear.

edit on 1-2-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Bad format.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I say f*ck ur friends just stick with your direct family because you know if things go down like you think they will, your so called friends will be there to leech off you and use up your supplies, if I were you tell your friends not to go to u for help because they were already warned and told to prepare but they decided not to listen.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I know all the preppers in my village. Totally hunkered down and totally unprepared when the real desperate bad asses come a calling. They brag about their guns and beans and rice. stupid.

There will be signs when the Sh!t is about to hit the fan, and I'll be long gone. Blessed to not have any kids.
edit on 1-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
family first, friends only allowed if they can contribute and keep contributing. i have a plan that includes my family and a few very trusted friends. everyone else even other ""friends" are subject to extreme vetting.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Well, if you have spiritually prepped you'd help anyone asking.

God is empathetic but trying to get into the next world without helping others when you are able isn't going to happen. Also, God can take from you and your family at any time. Turn down a needy neighbor with you acting out of selfishness and you just let the devil in to plunder your preps. Better to share with scared physical beings like people than the bad jewjew spiritual, you may wind up like Jack Nickleson in the Shinniing trying to ax your family bc you got possessed, but you're all set because you have a roomful of beans and TP. Go mad then knowing you earned that and tell it to God on judgement day.

We've been warned to love our neighbors as ourselves with out any buts: but only if they do this or are that.

Don't stress your self out here. Love ALWAYS finda a way.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
BTW I am going to assume that the ltimate trading tool next to matches would be toilet paper. Get used to wiping your butts with your fingers! Go green or go home

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I am not against bringing in more mouths to feed if they have a useful skill set, but some have no training beyond what the military gave them and they have not practiced them in a few years.

As mentioned, I am afraid that any I turn away will whip some others into a frenzy and come back either killing us, or forcing us to bug out before we wanted to (like say the dead of winter when we were trying to bug in till spring).. or also just forcing us to kill people we know to defend our supplies. (mental trauma of the act, me and the missus were not combat MOS)

I understand sooner or later even if I plan well, killing may not be avoidable... but I would prefer to put it off as long as possible.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

There are plenty of law books that will work as a substitute; may be a little scratchy, but beats using a stick or corn cob...

I'm hoping the knowledge I have in my noggin, plus a supply of heirloom seeds for various vegetables (and a certain herb) would buy me passage into a compound.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Teach them to fish,hunt, gather herbs and build shelters…and defend. If apocalypse is anything like Walking Dead, more people in a clan will actually be good in the future.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteWingedMonolith

Well, if you have spiritually prepped you'd help anyone asking.

That is the route I have opted for.

A find it difficult enough to live in this world that we have created. I hate the thought of what is to come when the SHTF post apocalyptic world rises up.

I will do whatever I can to make what world we have left the best it can be. If I can no longer contribute and become a burden, I will take the long walk. If I get taken out, well, we all got go some time.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: waftist
Teach them to fish,hunt, gather herbs and build shelters…and defend. If apocalypse is anything like Walking Dead, more people in a clan will actually be good in the future.

Teach them critical thinking and how to wing it. Make McGuyver their hero.

There is no way that we will know everything that could go awry. As far as we know the above ground land and water may be unusable for years after. They will need to know how to survive on the fly, without stores, electricity and cell phones.

Please teach them one of the most important things my grandmother taught me. "Being poor and being without, is never an excuse for being filthy." Teaching them always be clean, to keep their environment clean; avoid clutter and to keep garbage and waste away from where you eat and live, will go a long way towards survival.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join