It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An exploration of "white privilege".

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'm a white male too.

I have never been admitted entry to educational institutions based on anything other than the merit of my own mind and work ethic.

I have never been given work preference based on the color of my skin.

I have never received welfare or free healthcare.

I have never complained of inequality or prejudice despite living in abject poverty for many years but instead taught myself skills.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Newt22

So in saying that, because I don't see it ever changing without alien contact (then we all become Earthlings), I feel the only thing sane is understanding and acceptance. Embrace the differences and celebrate where we meet. Everyone 100% valid until proven otherwise - which usually happens because you become an a$$ clown.

Interesting point. I don't know about you but I was born an Earthling and to the best of my knowledge there was no alien intervention. Just saying.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
White guilt got us an unqualified black president,
So why don't I feel privileged?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

Brutus61. Good point!

Perception accepted and thank you...
edit on 31-1-2017 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSensible

It does not exist. Everything you listed above...end the white guilt already. Those aren't anything. Those are based on statistics. There is no privilege. In my experience it seems the most privileged are the most persecuted, just look at the news media and other forms. Whites are ok to hate. We aren't protected like the rest, not white men.
edit on 31-1-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Its a load of bull# . There is no damn white priveledge .

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSensible
This is just the way it should be.

Yes...and they are not, not because of some contrived term 'white privilege' (that is an utterly meaningless phrase), but because of prejudice.

That phrase only exists because some WANT to blame the whiteness of your skin as the reason those things aren't true.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If you want to hear some racial slurs directed towards Whites I can point you in the direction of some streets in South Philly.
edit on 31-1-2017 by Throes because: Didn't mean to quote

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Where do you live?

This is a load of crap. I've experienced most of your list. One time when I was young I went to Baltimore, got lost and wound up in a really bad area, asked a cop directions. He said you found your way in you can find your way out. Where was my privilege that day? That's just one small example.

There are so many cases where a very qualified white person doesn't get a job because a lower qualified person is of a different race. Where is the white privilege there?

The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that white firefighters in New Haven were subjected to race discrimination when the city threw out a promotional examination on which they had done well and black firefighters poorly.

“The city rejected the test results solely because the higher scoring candidates were white,”

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I take "white priviledge" to mean that whites think they legally deserve more rights than others, for example...they can marry, but gays cannot.

or they can strut cake bakery row and choose whatever baker they want, but gays can only go to the few that serve gays.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Why is it that when someone does something wrong, it is the individual that does it and not the ideology??

Like Islam, like rioters and violent protestors who damage people and property?

The leftists will say that it is the individual and not a reflection of the group.

Except when it comes to white people. Because all white people are the same and have had the same upbringing and the same privileges.

So all white people are the same, according to the thought of "white privilege".

To a degree, they also think that all black people are the same and have suffered the same aspects of racism and prejudice.

If we are going to accept that individual actions are not a reflection of the whole, then that should apply across the board, shouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

I take "white priviledge" to mean that whites think they legally deserve more rights than others, for example...they can marry, but gays cannot.

or they can strut cake bakery row and choose whatever baker they want, but gays can only go to the few that serve gays.

So there are no homosexual white people now?

Your posts get more nonsensical each passing day.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Lol nothing to do with whites...
edit on 31-1-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
originally posted by: redhorse

I have a difficult time believing that your white "mid-low class" experience is so different from my poor working class (A.K.A. Poor White Trash) experience, but well maybe so. Carry on with your virtue signaling though.

Did it occur to you that, while you may be white, you may also suffer from a different bias based on your economic class and general demeanor?
edit on 31-1-2017 by MrSensible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Yes...and they are not, not because of some contrived term 'white privilege' (that is an utterly meaningless phrase), but because of prejudice.

Well, okay... but isn't that just symantics? Can't white privilege be a type of prejudice? As I mentioned, I think it is a horrible misnomer.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: swedy13

I have never been admitted entry to educational institutions based on anything other than the merit of my own mind and work ethic.

I have never been given work preference based on the color of my skin.

I have never received welfare or free healthcare.

I have never complained of inequality or prejudice despite living in abject poverty for many years but instead taught myself skills.

im non-white and i can unequivocally attest to those you listed.

-------

but opinions are like 'rocks'.

i rather prefer controlled experiments.

maybe in order to deny ignorance thats what is needed to refute the OP or the mindless 'rocks'.

how about a few minority and non minority ATS members put their money where their opinions are and do an experiment by going to your local 7-11 and all wear a hoodie, as you do, its winter time. and one person call the police for a suspiciously behaving male without giving skin color description and each person stand at either end of the 7-11 store, and see whom gets approached first.
for accuracy, this experiment should be repeated in predominantly non minority and minority neighborhoods.
because a good sampling size is key to accurate statistical returns.

then and only then OP can draw to conclusions or the other 'opinions' can back their claims as well.
-solved.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
white privilege example one

white privilege example two

White Privelege example three

No one wants to make anyone feel `guilty`, but when a subset of the population repeatedly disregards an overwhelming amount of evidence and maintains that it simply cannot exists, you have to question their motives.

This thread triggered a few people and I wonder why.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Hey, what about my black privilege?

Women always assume I more endowed.

People automatically think I can dance.

I always get picked first for basketball games.

I can seemingly run faster.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I think it supposed to mean Rich White Privilege.

One thing I noticed, it is rich whites vs working class whites.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Minorities are often bewildered when the supermarket manager ushers me to the front of the line and gives me all my groceries for free. Most of the time it's automatic, but sometimes they check my white privilege card first.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join