It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil Liberties Groups to Donald Trump: ‘See You in Court’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   

One order threatens to strip federal funding to so-called sanctuary cities, where local law enforcement declines to arrest and detain undocumented immigrants on behalf of federal authorities.

Opponents were ready. "Cutting off funds for cities that refuse destructive deportation programs is unconstitutional. See you in court," tweeted Kevin de Leόn, the Democratic leader of the state Senate in California, which recently retained former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.

Throughout the day, Democratic mayors of major cities echoed the calls for litigation, eager to show their opposition to Trump and support immigrants.

Civil Liberties Groups to Donald Trump: ‘See You in Court’

Being forced to follow immigration laws is being labeled "destructive deportation." Whom is it "destructive" toward? Is it "destructive" toward the local businesses who rely on illegal immigrants?

It certainly isn't destructive toward the innocent law-abiding American citizens who are victimized daily by illegal aliens. No, the destructive thing is allowing the illegal immigration to continue.

I'll be very interested to see what kind of arguments are used in court to attempt to justify illegal behavior on the part of sanctuary cities. I don't even think the O.J. Simpson "Dream Team" of attorneys would have a chance with this.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 26-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

It already went to court when Obama sued Arizona for trying to enforce immigration laws. Obama won with the argument "Immigration is under federal control". So once again we see the left trying to change the rules AGAIN to suit their agenda.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Lol cya in Mexico.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

It already went to court when Obama sued Arizona for trying to enforce immigration laws. Obama won with the argument "Immigration is under federal control". So once again we see the left trying to change the rules AGAIN to suit their agenda.

I don't think you are making an apt comparison.

It is true that the federal government's laws on immigration overrule state immigration law, through the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution, but I believe the Federal government cannot deny states federal funds unless the program that is being funded specifically states that immigration status is a condition of the program.

If it's not, the states would have a case.
edit on 26-1-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Surely ignoring federal laws is also against the constitution?!?

I really dont understand the Lefty SWJ mindset, it is so full of contradictions and holes its amazing it functions at all

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
If you were to remove the term "illegal immigrant" and insert any other remotely comparable crime, would the story remain the same?

Are sanctuary cities legal under state and/or federal law?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This is one of those situations that makes me think WTF has happened in the western world and in this case the US??,

People are free then to gain access illegally and will be given immunity? is that correct?..

It makes a total mockery of people that migrate in the legal manner, why do law abiding people have to jump through vetting hoops such as making sure they are not wanted by insisting on that person submitting detailed Police reports, then to have them medically screened so as to make sure there are no Illnesses etc, to then want a financial bond to make sure that person will not rely on the state whilst they are there. Also to make sure they have adequate English with a education along with a guarantee of a job ideally in a key worker position before a Visa/Green card will be issued??...

Serious f#cking alarm bells should be ringing,

RA

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

From the article you posted:

an aggressive new director hired from the office of former Sen. Harry Reid.

Tells you a lot right there.

The threat that the ACLU and other groups have been preparing came into view Wednesday when Trump signed executive orders cracking down on undocumented immigration.

Undocumented is a code word for illegal. Why is the ACLU defending illegal actions? "American" is the first word in ACLU, what do illegal immigrants have to do with AMERICAN civil liberties?

Opponents were ready. "Cutting off funds for cities that refuse destructive deportation programs is unconstitutional. See you in court,"

No, no it is not.The federal government is in charge of immigration, and the house controls the money. So how is it unconstitutional for the federal government to decide where funds go and enforce the laws that are already on the books?

If they don't like it, they should win elections and change the law.
edit on 26-1-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
My 2 cents: when the City of Bell was corrupt, the state took over. Why? Because a city files its incorporation paperwork with the state, and the state can determine if a community is a self governing city or not.

Trump needs to go after the state governments, too. Its their job to deal with cities, not Uncle Sams. And it would be VERY nice to see rural areas pushing the cities around for a change. I doubt rural folks are going to appreciate having their roads flling apart....and maybe the folks inside California but not in the cities will do something about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

I really dont understand the Lefty SWJ mindset, it is so full of contradictions and holes its amazing it functions at all

I can only say from what I have viewed it is a Blag...

Make it all up as you go along seat of your pants rants that will make sense to some people for a short time but will be looked at by someone with even half a brain as bat #e f#cking crazy lunatic speak from a deluded fool.

Break the law and in this case a serious one of gaining access to a country totally illegally to then allow said people to head to a sanctuary city???!!!!!...

The lunatics are running the asylum again...

So what is the best way to gain access illegally then?, do I just say to the Department of homeland security that I will not be submitting a return date on my entry card as I hope to live the rest of my life in a Sanctuary city??.. Or do I just lie and given a return date knowing full well I will not turn up??..

Just walk in via Mexico?

Back of a lorry and refuse to answer any questions if I get caught?, "no english, no english", I ask as I have a idea for a Youtube series

RA

edit on 26-1-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Emma Lazarusa reply to: IkNOwSTuff

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

How about you show where that is stated in the constitution....

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

How about you show where that is stated in the constitution....

Mate Im not even American, other than the 1st 2 I have no idea what it contains.
Youll notice inline with that what you highlighted in my post was a question and not a statement.

How about you show me and everyone else the part of the constitution where it says the POTUS can be sued for telling a state to apply its laws?
edit on 26/1/2017 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I don't believe the new Fed are set out to punish "legal" migrants. They are trying to curb "illegal" migrants, specially those who also happens to be violent criminals. The doors will still remain open for those who want to migrate here legally and assimilate into productive members of our society.
edit on 26-1-2017 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

As long as you come through here first.
I doubt that was intended to mean, sneak in tucked inside a spare tire access hole, then run like hell when the border guard searches the vehicle. Folks were much smarter back then.

(post by hellobruce removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

The Supremacy Clause

This was settled when Lincoln freed the slaves: the states cannot violate federal law

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Good luck on those court cases.

They're going to need it, because they'll never win a case against Trump if he's only enforcing the pre existing federal immigration laws.

Nope, rather these locally elected officials who are making this public outcry are doing so at the cost of liberty and justice in their own districts.

They're not going to get the memo for at least another two years. Our only hope is that the most of them finally wake up when they lose even more democratic seats in the house & senate in 2018.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Im fairly certain that is the quote from the Statue of Liberty and not a phrase from the constitution.

Ideals that are 200 years old sadly dont apply like they used to, America is no longer an untamed wilderness looking for brave souls to go out and colonise the empty plains or needing a huge in flux of manpower to help feed teeming industries.

The world has changed and any country that actually decided to follow the ideals (although admirable and the way it should be) on the Statue would be committing suicide.

This isnt about wanting your country to get rid of immigration or being discriminatory to any particular racial or minority group, this is about knowing who is in your country, making sure that person is able to contribute but also to make sure they are safe and arent being abused.
Almost all illegal immigrants have been robbed or beaten at some stage, a sickening and alarming number of women are sexually assaulted, add to that the number who just go missing which is impossible to guess and to top it off these people are funding cartels and people smugglers to the tune of millions if not billions of dollars every year.

In a perfect world it would be great if people everywhere had complete freedom of movement and we didnt need passports and lines on maps didnt exist but sadly again this isnt that world, the quicker you and all those who seem to think its is wake up the quicker we can fix this world and that world will come about.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

"Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see,
One chance out between two worlds,
Fire walk with me."

Seriously though we have immigration laws that should be followed. While I normally am all for state sovereignty over federal control, immigration is a federal issue. If it were left up to the states we would have a patchwork of various solutions that don't see eye to eye and even more miles of red tape to get in.

If a state cannot follow the law then there should be repercussions otherwise we would descend into anarchy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join