It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three minutes to Armageddon....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Raggedyman

Wait...what? Take the batteries out.? The clock is a metaphor. Not an actual rock.
This is priceless.

I hope this is a joke.

What???
It's a metaphor, silly me

So Armageddon won't actually happen when it hits zero, the world won't end when the clock reaches midnight...seriously.
Then how does it work, the Armageddon clock, is that like an Armageddon cloak like Andre the giant wore in princess bride

Yeah thanks
The clock is a metaphor a stupid metaphor that people for no apparent reason change as they see fit and foolish people believe it has any significance

I am so sorry my sarcasm was not a little more obvious for you

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elvis_Is_Dead
You could be right about the clock being changed to two minutes to midnight (Wasn't there a song about that?). I can't see it being put back either. I believe we are in a world more divided than anytime before world war 2.

We are living in a time where technology has in many ways brought the world closer together. But for many middle aged dinasours, programmed by a lifetime of Daily Mail headlines and who want to believe the planet begins and ends at their country's border - this is a very scary prospect. Hopefully the dinasours will die out soon before they can cause too much damage and we can begin to progress again.

We are indeed more divided than ever. Europe has never been so peaceful but Brexit has caused changes and it's sad to see the old right wing populism get bigger again, just like before WWII.

The Daily Mail, Sun, Express etc have spread so much hate in the last few months it's unbelievable. I despise tabloids as the gullible (and those with lower self esteem) believe everything they print.

Let's see what happens today...... and let's hope progress can really begin again.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Elvis_Is_Dead
Two minutes to midnite sounds coooler...
These guys were warning us back in the 80's

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Sounds like a load of tosh to me.

I was a teen in the 80s and we are a million bloody miles away from that level of impending doom.

Half the kids I was at school with had dads who were serving with the BAOR, there were cruise missile convoys on our motorways, constant drills and exercises, the Red army was a behemoth straining to pour into the West and we even had leaflets about how to survive the nuclear war that seemed almost inevitable.

This is the safest I've ever felt.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I've never understood nuclear war ... and the doomsday clock is just another sign that shows humanity still hasn't evolved into a clever species we would rather bomb ourselves back to the Stone Age than work together to solve problems with each other

Are world government willing to sit there and watch this clock strike 12 and then say 'that's it nuclear war it is' instead of thinking .. wait nuclear war will completely destroy civilisations everywhere.

I understand the use for nukes (just about) its to act as a deterrent against other nations who have them. But don't we have enough ordinary bombs and missiles to kill each other with?

I don't believe the world will ever come to nuclear war, I see no advantages for government to wipe everything out as by the end of it all there wouldn't be a planet left to rule.

If it did come to nuclear then I hope I get vapourised pretty quickly, because if government are hell bent on killing so many innocent people then quite frankly I don't want to live with the destruction afterwards nor do I want to live and get run by a government that obviously has no interest in looking after people
edit on 26-1-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It moved from 3 to 2 1/2 minutes to midnight.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Here is the PDF if anyone wants to have a read :

PDF File

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Who really cares? It will be closer than ever not based on any reason, but political bias.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Don't worry, it's not the end of the world.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheProphetMark
It moved from 3 to 2 1/2 minutes to midnight.

Wow we lost 30 seconds, next time we should run a sweep stake. A minute here or there maybe...but I never saw 30 seconds coming

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Y3K89
Here is the PDF if anyone wants to have a read :

PDF File

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Whatever helps you through the night.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ya that clock is basicly pointless, I think Dr. Manhattan says it best:

Janet Black: Doctor Manhattan as you know the Doomsday Clock is a symbolic clock face analogizing humankind's proximity to extinction, midnight representing the threat of nuclear war. As of now it stands at four minutes to midnight. Would you agree that we are that close to annihilation?

Jon Osterman: My father was a watch maker. He abandoned it when Einstein discovered time is relative. I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
They may be scientists, but they are offering their judgement on political issues, where their scientific authority has no relevance.

Ultimately, this is just another clique of the politically correct, denouncing the end of the world because "populism" is turning against them.

edit on 26-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Darn, I like to go on the computer after midnight, now they say I have to go to sleep at midnight.

I'm not a kid anymore, I don't have to listen to them, we can stay past midnight.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
So basically if it moves closer or further from midnight depends on if these scientists think potus is good or bad.

am I reading this correctly?

edit:

from the pdf:

But wavering public confidence in the democratic institutions required to deal with major world threats do affect the board’s decisions. And this year, events surrounding the US presidential campaign—including cyber offensives and deception campaigns apparently directed by the Russian government and aimed at disrupting the US election—have brought American democracy and Russian intentions into question and thereby The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board takes a broad and international view of existential threats to humanity, focusing on long-term trends. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists § 2 made the world more dangerous than was the case a year ago.

Yep, I'm reading it correctly.

Looks like the doomsday clock might as well go into the hoax bin
edit on 26-1-2017 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

OK, Big Liberal Cities are likely targets. I'm not seeing a downside here.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

So are secondary cities. I'm in one of those. The refugees from the primary cities will come here first; even if there isn't a bullseye on us, do you want a semi sane county like mine to be filled up with the snowflakes who can't handle being told 'no' by their parents after their whole life just went up in flames, wind, and radiation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join