It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: The Right To Die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
In Ottawa yesterday, a frail, 78-year-old man took his own life last night with the hope his death would spark public debate and help to make assisted suicide legal. Marcel Tremblay, who suffered from chronic health problems, including a fatal lung disease, had said he also hoped his public death would show others with terminal illnesses and sound minds that there is a way to "die with dignity." Tremblay was pronounced dead at 11:51 p.m last night.

Yesterday, the retired rooming house owner held a news conference and then enjoyed a final supper of filet mignon with his family at his Kanata bungalow before heading out to a hotel to host a "living wake." When he returned home, he planned to sit in his recliner chair, place a turkey basting bag over his head and fill the bag with helium from a hose attached to a rented tank. He said the trapped gas would kill him painlessly within five minutes.

His lawyer, Lawrence Greenspon, said the suicide was completely legal. An individual has no legal duty to prevent a suicide, he said. Therefore, as long as family members are simply present, but are not assisting, they are not breaking the law, said Greenspon, who said that Ottawa police assured him they would not stop the suicide.

"If you spend any time with the man, you see his suffering," his son Dean, 37, said earlier this week. "Selfishly, we could say, 'Well jeez, we really don't want to lose our father and it would be nice if he could hang around and see my daughter's next birthday.' But really that's a selfish thought. That's about what we want. That's not what he wants."

"I'm establishing that you can have your family with you (during a suicide)," Tremblay mentioned before he took his own life. Tremblay's family supports his decision.

A 20-year member of Dying With Dignity, Tremblay thought people should have a right to decide when they die and if they are of sound mind, to have assistance if they need it.

Tremblay hoped to spark a debate with his death and so he did. Many questions are currently being asked and very little are being answered. A comment Tremblay made before his death stated that people could be with their loved ones while they die in a hospital bed, why not in the comfort of their own homes.

People are asking questions about assisted suicide. Should be be legalized? People who want to die, but to not have the will or strength to take their own lives still need or want a way out. In my opinion, as long as there is solid proof and written documents, assisted suicide should be allowed

"This is a highly articulate individual who has really thought this through," said Kathy St. John, executive director of Dying With Dignity.

It was his choice, he had the right to die.

The Star.com

[edit on 29/1/05 by MacKiller]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
An excellent post MacKiller. I said much the same in a similar OP/ED on the Terri Schiavo case which will hopefull come to an end soon. This man lived and died on his own terms with a large measure of dignity.

At the heart of the battle is the rights of individuals to determine their ultimate fate. With all sympathy to the parents of Terri who are currently trying to get control of her and remove the husband as her guardian, are they keeping her alive for her well being or theirs?. Having spent over 10 years as a Registered Nurse in both the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Pediatric Critical Care Transport, I have seen more children die that I care to admit. I have seen parents grieve, parents cry, and most importantly I have seen the relief that their loved one no longer suffers. I have also have been the consequences of life at all costs as well. The decisions are often made not in the best interests of the one that is afflicted rather the people left behind. These people know nothing but a life of pain and suffering. The very essence of their life is gone and the family is simply trying to preserve a hollow shell. When her brain was deprived of oxygen, everything that made Terri a unique special person was lost. While we get great press over the miracle comatose that awaken after a 10 year sleep, the reality is not so warm and fuzzy. Despite round the clock care, they will develop bed sores, painful contractures that require surgery to repair, pneumonia and the like. Terri did not ask for this life. Her parents did. Well meaning as it may be, is it in her best interests?

As a society we have established great institutions around the creating of life. From baby showers to birthdays we celebrate our own very creation. Our constitution guarantees our individual rights and the right to chose how and when we die if we are afflicted with a terminal disease, or if we are in Terri?s condition. Terri made her decision and her husband is trying to respect his wife and carry out her wishes. The citizens of Oregon have taken the first steps towards allowing our ailing to die with a little dignity and respect. Terri would have had their opportunity but for a religiously motivated grandstand by the Florida legislature.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I saw M. Tremblay on tv the day before he died. He seemed highly rational, knew exactly what he wanted, when, where and how. He was brave and now he suffers no more. Glad his family was with with at the end.

[edit on 29/1/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well taking in consideration that once someone takes its own life is nobody to be blame for the death, I feel that like many other things that politicians and religious groups want to monitor and make decisions for us, is our personal choice.

Now, is also a moral issue here, how many people will take the easy way out and take their own life because they cannot cope with living in this world and learning to take responsibilities.

When somebody is suffering of a terminal ill ailment and is not a cure I feel that the person should be given the choice as what to do and others should respect the decision.

Now people and the law will not see it the same way if the person is younger as with a child, even if the child is terminal.

We will always have to deal with the moralities of issues because that is what our society dictate.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Short of being in Terry's position, where you are unable to perform the act, if you are truly intent on killing yourself, there is nothing that can stop you. Now, the only thing I could see from legislation would be that there could be no steps taken against you if you failed while attempting it...which right now, in most states it is a chargable crime to attempt suicide.

I don't like the idea of legislation on this, because it can be used in bad ways. I think any laws on the books that prevent some one from dying with dignity (and in this case I'm talking about terminally ill people, people who can only be kept alive through ventilators, etc.) should be stricken. But you start getting into shark-infested waters if you put a law on the book that starts saying a doctor can assist with a suicide...I'm scared of that.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Personally according to my beliefs I think think any form of suicide is wrong. But this is certainly better then suicide by cop, throwing youself in front of a semi, or stopping your car on the tracks when there is an on coming train.

But I certainly don't think there should be any laws agaisnt suicide, and strongly recommed everyone either to have a living will, or let the ones closet to you know what you would want in the event of a major accident.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Personnally I think this man made a clever poltical statement, but stil it's bad, as it could encourage other people doing the same thing, and for reasons that are a little bit less legitimate... Suicide is a 100% legitimate in the case that your health/physical conditions make you unable to enjoy life. Only in that way it is acceptable. But it's still a MURDER, no matter what.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Still murder?

If you wanted me to steal your car, and I took it, is it still theft?

[edit on 30/1/05 by MacKiller]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
Still murder?

No, because that person asked you to steal their car. That would be collusion.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Those that bring up Terri Schiavo, the controversy in that is that we do not know what her wishes were. It is one thing to want to end your own life in times of suffering, it is another when society, courts and family members try to impose it. There is a danger when we as a culture, society start to decide who is worthy and who is not. When in doubt, erring on the side of life is the right thing to do. On the other hand if is your wish then ones wishes should be followed through.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum

Originally posted by MacKiller
Still murder?

No, because that person asked you to steal their car. That would be collusion.

So if I asked you to kill me and you did, it is murder?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The right to die is not yours, it is God's. Suicide under any terms is just that, murder. Yes it is horrible that people have to suffer with illness but many suffer with depression as well that feel their pain is just as great. We many not understand why we must sometimes suffer and I know that raises questions as to why does God allow it. But it is not for us to judge nor to determine life and death. Abortion is murder and suicide is murder. Trust me, I also would want to take my life if I suffered like that man but my faith is strong and I believe when it is my time, no matter whether painful or not, God will be with me and free me in the end. Trust in your faith....if you have it.

new topics

top topics

join