It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC gone mad.. school employee fired for correcting students spelling on twitter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Doesn't look like the end of the world for her anyways.

But But she is just trying to get famous.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

While that might be the case, I have a few concerns about how this article is reported. I'm a little leery of the fact she ran and reported this to a right wing blog site instead of the local news affiliate. Did they not want to run this story for some reason? Local stations tend to be pretty gung-ho about running possible corruption stories. Why didn't they pick up this story? Is there any status on a pending lawsuit? The article doesn't even mention if she has a lawyer, let alone a pending lawsuit. Where is the school's side of the story?

So much about this reporting stinks of propaganda that I can't trust its narrative. Plus the glossing over of the probationary thing just isn't sitting right with me.

Oh yeah. She wasn't a teacher either. Her position was as a staff member.
edit on 16-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Ok. At least now there is a local affiliate. Still don't see the school's side of the story though. Lot's of online social justice going on though with people assuming this article is true.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

So a teacher follows his/her class on twitter?

Looks like someone is putting extra hours in in little Tommy's homework assignments to me.
A teacher that desires success in his/her students would be OK in my book.

edit on (1/16/1717 by loveguy because: sleepy time for me... hgn

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: goou111

originally posted by: Annee
More to the story . . .

There always is.

I'm sure there is, and Im sure someone will be along to say the school says that is not why she was terminated.

Oh, I just find jumping on these little negative "Gotcha" stories quite the phenomenon.

Who cares what the facts are: "Gotcha".

Who cares if it's one sided opinion: "Gotcha".

Is it like a "Gotcha" adrenaline pumping thrill ride?

Others have already posted "more to the story", . . .

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
GOOD! now she can get a job in a school district that actually cares about their students.

if the Fredrick Maryland school district wants to give diplomas to students who can`t read or write, and the parents are fine with that then they will have to live with all the unemployed illiterates that they are dumping into the community.
I wonder what the crime rate in Fredrick Maryland is like?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
GOOD! now she can get a job in a school district that actually cares about their students.

if the Fredrick Maryland school district wants to give diplomas to students who can`t read or write, and the parents are fine with that then they will have to live with all the unemployed illiterates that they are dumping into the community.
I wonder what the crime rate in Fredrick Maryland is like?

Its high

www.neighborhoodscout.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well duh! Because these accusations are stupid and blown out of proportion. First off. She wasn't fired. She was let go. That's what happens when a probationary period ends and they don't hire you on as a full employee. Or have you never worked at a job before?

ETA: This lady is just looking for some quick fame and you are giving it to her.

Seriously? Being let go, is a polite way of saying you are fired.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

wow, Gee who would have thunk it, a bunch of unemployed illiterates roaming the streets, commit crimes.obviously the Fredrick school board hasn`t figured that out yet DOH!

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Maryland is an "at will" state. She can say all day long that she was "fired" for being childish and petty enough to correct a spelling error on Twitter, but the fact is, she wasn't fired at all...and even if she had been, they have every legal right to do so...and they don't even have to give her warning or a reason.

Maryland at will

However, the source very clearly states that her employer was courteous enough to not only have a discussion with her about declining to extend her contract, they were also thorough enough to follow through with a letter. And in that letter, it very clearly states that it was the end of her probationary period and that they decided not to extend her further employment, which is always a possibility when a trial period is dependent upon same.

She reached the end of her trial period, heard the bad news that she was not selected, decided it was because she stalked a student's Twitter and spell-checked said student publicly, and decided to run with it. This is not even remotely newsworthy. More garbage, as per usual.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
Maryland is an "at will" state. She can say all day long that she was "fired" for being childish and petty enough to correct a spelling error on Twitter, but the fact is, she wasn't fired at all...and even if she had been, they have every legal right to do so...and they don't even have to give her warning or a reason.

Maryland at will

However, the source very clearly states that her employer was courteous enough to not only have a discussion with her about declining to extend her contract, they were also thorough enough to follow through with a letter. And in that letter, it very clearly states that it was the end of her probationary period and that they decided not to extend her further employment, which is always a possibility when a trial period is dependent upon same.

She reached the end of her trial period, heard the bad news that she was not selected, decided it was because she stalked a student's Twitter and spell-checked said student publicly, and decided to run with it. This is not even remotely newsworthy. More garbage, as per usual.

Then why are so many sites reporting it? Guess what its not up to you what is news worthy and what is not.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I laughed a bit at the tweet, and more at the response. I have to also speculate there were greater reasons they did not extend her employment beyond the probationary period. In many states, there is no real reason needed for an employer to terminate employment at the end of a probationary period.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well duh! Because these accusations are stupid and blown out of proportion. First off. She wasn't fired. She was let go. That's what happens when a probationary period ends and they don't hire you on as a full employee. Or have you never worked at a job before?

ETA: This lady is just looking for some quick fame and you are giving it to her.

Actually it says two things. The first is that her probationary period will not be extended. The second is that she is terminated from 13th Jan.

If not for this incident, when was the probationary period actually supposed to expire? Or was it just a happy coincidence that it expired on the day they wanted to fire her?

As for the PTA, did it mention in what capacity? 34 years old - she could easily have a child at the school and be there as a parent.

I do think it was stupid for her to make that tweet. Yes, a school is a place to have your errors corrected, but teachers don't generally do it by openly taking the piss out of you on a social media platform shared with millions of other users.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
this isnt news, its a premonition of how in the future is going to feed off our attention span. its always advertising camouflaged as something else. it will be the need for a 'propaganda' or 'scandal' constantly as we become more "social-media- like" in our society.

they're all pushing for global internet.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth
I have to also speculate there were greater reasons they did not extend her employment beyond the probationary period.

It seems, after reading several sites, she was strictly administrative. It seems her job was to post information, dates, etc.

She is not a teacher and should not have been interacting with students.

I'm guessing it wasn't the only time.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy

So a teacher follows his/her class on twitter?

Looks like someone is putting extra hours in in little Tommy's homework assignments to me.
A teacher that desires success in his/her students would be OK in my book.

Not quite. As a few other posters already pointed out this woman wasn't a teacher, she was merely a school official. Going by the article her job was "Web experience coordinator" or something like that. I don't know if you know what those jobs entail, but it's basically maintaining a social media presence, posting school closings, and so on.

The job had a probationary period, and given the PTA mention and the job duties it was most likely a part time thing because it doesn't take much time to update a website. This is supposition on my part, but given the PTA mention my guess is that this position sprung out of the PTA wanting a better system to inform parents of school closings, the woman volunteered, and the school actually had to pay her for it.

Once the time was up, the school wasn't happy with how things were going and was going to do something else instead. This may or may not have had anything to do with what can be perceived as a school official stalking a students twitter account. But either way, it has nothing to do with PC, it wasn't a teacher, she wasn't fired, and the article and especially it's title is just a bunch of clickbait nonsense.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Except in a sense it was.

Had she not tweeted this ... would she still have been terminated?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

The lady in the cab "you privileged pos." like, b$tch you just called a car to drive your drunk ass somewhere. Wtf

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is a good example of why some people who normally would go above and beyond in daily activities, or professional aspects, no longer are as willing as they once were.

You make the wrong call, or you think you're being light, and fun about a situation, when you're intentions were good, and BAM you're punished for it.

Sad to say it, but these days, you just gotta teach (or w/e you do) from 7am-3pm and then mind your own business for the rest of the night.

SHAME ON THAT SCHOOL DISTRICT.

PS. Not everything is always so black and white, I could see this being an issue had the student complained that they felt they were being bullied by a school administrator publicly online, but the kid laughed about it. Typos happen. They were having a bit of fun online

-Alee
edit on 1/17/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join