It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Senator Call for New "Manhattan Project" to Fight Bioterror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist called for a world wide effort on a scale larger than the Manhattan Project to fight bio-terrorism. Calling the threat the greatest in the world, Frist pointed to the global consequences of an outbreak.

story.news.yahoo.com
DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - The world needs an effort similar to that behind the creation of the atomic bomb to tackle the multi-faceted threat of biowarfare, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said Thursday.

"We need to do something that even dwarfs the Manhattan project," Frist told the World Economic Forum in Davos. The Manhattan project was the codename for the United States's World War II effort to devise an atomic weapon.

"The greatest existential threat we have in the world today is biological. Why? Because unlike any other threat it has the power of panic and paralysis to be global."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its not a bad idea on the surface. Given the jet age and rapid travel we are all accustomed too, the ability of a pathogen with a long incubation period to disburse is pretty good. With a concerted efforts, most countries would be hit by an outbreak before any quarantine measures could be put in place. Smallpox has a 21 day incubation period. Thats a chain letter of deadly potential

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I think its a great idea. Its the first time in a while that our tax dollars are being out to good use

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hmmm, this and all of the dead microbiologists.......

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
Hmmm, this and all of the dead microbiologists.......

Good Point................how do you conduct a project of that magnitude with the intent expressed? You create a whole bunch of stuff that is deadly and then try to cure it...........

"The greatest existential threat we have in the world today is biological. Why? Because unlike any other threat it has the power of panic and paralysis to be global."

That says it right there..........the problem is panic and "global paralysis." I contend that the very concept set forth in this article is what is accomplishing the "global paralysis." Constantly worrying about doom is only going to result in tighter laws meant to combat the impending doom.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Hey started this link yesterday, it has some good related data

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Very nice idea. It is refreashing to know that our tax dollars would actually be going to be used for the citizens of the U.S. for a change instead of floating to any other country that coughs or burps.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The USA - and the world - is already under biological attack. The attack started in the early 1900's, in the USA. A horrible new disease called fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) suddenly appeared, probably spread in the military's mass-vaccinations for WWI.

FMD already exists. It:

* Incubates silently in the body for decades.

* Eventually causes death from heart attack, cancer or stroke.

* Infects nearly 100% of Americans by the time they reach adulthood.

* Causes a range of early physical disabilities and/or mental dysfunctions, which may last for decades before death comes.

....FMD starts when actin proteins mis-fold into "a-smooth muscle actin" (a-SMA) - which means it's probably caused by an infectious prion like Mad Cow disease.

Numerous preventive measures were identified and developed by 2000 - but their implementation has been blocked by this adminsistration.

Instead, trillions of taxpayer dollars have been funneled directly into corporate accounts, to develop vaccines and treatments for diseases that don't even exist.

Time to cut the bs. Stop the sham. End the tax grabs.

Fix the real problem.

Background highlights:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
* Infects nearly 100% of Americans by the time they reach adulthood.

Do you really believe this stuff? 100% of americans will be infected?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think what he is saying is that this FMD is a genetic thing passed down congenitally to all decendants... and persists like a prion disease...
I don't agree with the 100% estimate though... even the articles that he pointed to said that only a little over 1% have it upon autopsie. Basically in other words... heart disese and arteroscholorsis [sic] is congenital, and perhaps caused by vaccines from WW1

It does seem like a very bad thing... but no more so than the other effects of genetically damaged people breeding... the chance is always there for passing on genetic abnormalities, it just seems more likely for these prion based flaws to persevere...

the only thing that can be done in any of these cases, including BIOWEAPONS is to be prepared medically to repair human DNA on a genetic level... Since finding a vaccine for any bioweapons would take a long time. It seems the key os the complete understanding and ability to manipulate DNA.

and yes, that then leads to the question of abuses to form a superhuman/superimmune species... but when we all lead such easy lives where nature doesn't cull the weak of the species, then there has to be allowances made for the results of our corrupted evolution... I am not a "uberhumanist" or any such... actually the opposite... a rather sickly thing that hopes that only my best DNA is preserved in any future offspring, and that maybe all my allergies can be repaired genetically someday...

no easy answers... but i would feel a whole lot better knowing my government was studing how to repair DNA errors, rather than playing with viruses that can wipe us out with the smallest mistake...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
How Many in the US are Already Infected?

Fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) appears to be the original infectious prion strain introduced into the human population. FMD involves actin proteins mis-folding into "a-smooth muscle actin" (a-SMA) - so FMD is almost certainly caused by an infectious prion.

FMD is seldom diagnosed before a life threatening "event" and 65% of reported cases in the USA are diagnosed in autopsy, with an incidence rate of 1.1% in adults.

www.emedicine.com...

“FMD frequency in the USA: incidence of new cases in adults diagnosed by angiography – 0.6%; diagnosed in autopsy – 1.1%.”

NOTE: Incidence means new cases found yearly, presented as a % of the total population.
Also see Puri, PMID: 10334397.

Here's a table that puts together the stats for FMD incidence in autopsy with reported death stats:

YEAR - DEATHS - TOTAL POP - EST ADULT POP (75%) - 1.1% ADULT POP: FMD incid in autopsy

1999 - 2,391,399 - 279,295,000 - 209,471,250 - 2,304,184
1998 - 2,337,256 - 276,115,000 - 207,086,250 - 2,277,949
1997 - 2,314,245 - 272,912,000 - 204,684,000 - 2,251,524
1996 - 2,314,690 - 269,667,000 - 202,250,250 - 2,224,750
1995 - 2,312,132 - 266,557,000 - 199,917,750 - 2,199,095

Source: Population: Census; Reported Deaths; World Health Organization.

As you can see, most reported deaths include findings of FMD; therefor, nearly 100% of the American population is infected with FMD by adulthood.

RE: Congenital transmission: Prion diseases are about 10% familial and 90% 'sporadic' or acquired - as is FMD.
[See orphanet]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
FMD - like all recognized prion diseases - is transmitted congenitally about 10% of the time; otherwise it is 'sporadic' or acquired.

Ie., See:
www.orpha.net...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

no easy answers... but i would feel a whole lot better knowing my government was studing how to repair DNA errors, rather than playing with viruses that can wipe us out with the smallest mistake...

Your desire to "feel a whole lot better" about your government is what is played on.............I would advocate a healthy bit of skepticism and continuing education............they aren't all good and some of them are down right bad...............of course they're playing with the dangerous stuff..........that is what the money is interested in, the next big thing

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
We wiped out the Osama bio terror threat that didn't exist.
The same people from Japan's bio terror generation must be in need of funding.
What else could it be as the name of Manhattan Project must be given great
awe again for some propaganda initiative. It was not all that. And neither is
bio terror from the outside looking in.

new topics

top topics

join