It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden in Contact with Russian Intelligence, House Claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden "has had and continues to have contact" with Russian intelligence services, according to newly declassified portions of a House Intelligence Committee report released on Thursday.

The Pentagon found 13 undisclosed "high risk" security issues caused by Snowden's disclosure to media outlets of tens of thousands of the U.S. eavesdropping agency's most sensitive documents, according to the new material.

Edward Snowden in Contact with Russian Intelligence, House Claims

I think it was important for Snowden to blow the whistle on the NSA and the kinds of surveillance activities that were going on in the U.S. (although they will probably come back, with more oversight). I thought Wikileaks did a good job, even when they were leaking Hillary's emails because she was doing corrupt things.

But now both Snowden and Assange are working for Russia. What do people think about that? Despite Trump (initially) being friendly with Putin, Russia certainly seems like it is ready to flex its muscle.
edit on 23amFri, 23 Dec 2016 09:16:15 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Trump and Putin seem poised to be in a nuclear arms race with each other just like old times. Will liberals still support Assange and Snowden?
edit on 23amFri, 23 Dec 2016 09:33:11 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Is this really news to anyone? Given that Snowden is living in exile in Russia, the only place that has offered him asylum, this comes as no surprise. Was the FSB just going to let him go about his business as a free agent in Russia? An American, former NSA security analyst free agent? It really seems like asking him a few questions is not only the obvious, but also the prudent thing to do, wouldn't you agree?

This seems to me to be a reminder to those who don't know any better, "Hey Remember Snowden? He's a traitor! He is talking to Russia, they are also bad, remember?". Also, as to you're Assange assertion, care to provide anything to back that up, or did you just slip that in there?

Russia's bad m'kay.
edit on 23-12-2016 by Orwells Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I have always thought that Snowden would have to be involved with the Russian intelligence services given the nature of his asylum. It might not be a matter of choice for him. Who can say? His original plan was to go to South America.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

All the US government has to do is pardon him. Bring him back and make him sign a non-disclosure agreement and boom Snowden and his apparent contact with Russia is finished. It's that simple. The only reason he is in Russia is because the United States will treat him like a terrorist and more than likely make it impossible for him to get a fair trial and even if he did he'd be found guilty anyway.

What Snowden did has showed how bad spying has got, him running and hiding then going to Russia was his only option because he knew and we know what would happen. So blame no one but the US government as to Wikileaks, the more that I learn about them the more it seems that they are no longer what they set out to be and instead are looking to keep themselves in the papers that they often despise.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
He's not a 'real' whistle blower, lol. He went over the gubments head, to the people.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Yeah, spying on the world covertly, obliterating Middle Eastern countries for oil, gold and other assets and destabilizing other governments in order to place puppet dictators in, is not, and I repeat NOT the fault of the U.S. government

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Excellent use of sarcasm.

The US and the USSR and then Russia have been playing the Cold War for a long time and have no intent of stopping. Before Russia it was the European colonialists we did this with. Any great powers will fight like this; what a glowing review of great world powers.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I see nothing conclusive in the link, it is a claim contained in a HIC report, that itself has been declassified.
Anyone could say that when there is a need to reserve the actual content they refer to, Indeed it looks to me that they don't even know if the Russians...or Chinese have seen the articles in question,

"If the Chinese or Russians obtained access to materials related to these issues, "American troops will be at greater risk in any future conflict," the report said.
So in fact the headline at the link, is not quite what the content says, While the lawyer thinks it a load of childish bull

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NotEntirelyEvilSpock

The US and the USSR and then Russia have been playing the Cold War for a long time and have no intent of stopping. Before Russia it was the European colonialists we did this with. Any great powers will fight like this; what a glowing review of great world powers.

That makes it ok then, and I haven't noticed anything 'great' about it.

Excellent use of pointlessness also

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Isn't Snowden in f$cking Russia DUMB A$$? (referring to Congress) Obviously "Intelligence" and "House" are oxymoronic! They imbeciles just now came to that riveting conclusion?

edit on 23-12-2016 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Um, no offence.
Until it has been proven otherwise...
Assange is still held in captivity...not in Russia but in britain

As far as my eyes are open?

Here's the link you may not have followed.

A walk backwards
edit on (12/23/1616 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So now that the Assange anomaly remains an anomaly...

I'm heading back to read the OP...

About the nuclear arms race...

We failed to stop an underground coalmine fire...used to boil water for electric generating turbines...still in use today in harder to live and survive places around the world.

So we with our brilliance and resiliency began using nuclear fuel to boil water for electric generating turbines...all around the world.
We now know that is a bad idea as well...

Do we think it's a bad idea to generate electricity using the generator manufactured in our automobiles?
OK.

So nobody with a name and title of office representation wants to stand by this claim the HOUSE is making?

Who are the people on public dole that comprise this house intelligence committee, why the anonymity?
State your name and the title of your office-your salary depends on the tax-payers who choose to support you.

edit on (12/23/1616 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Yes, I was also thinking that it would be obvious that Snowden would be in contact with state agents if they let him stay in Russia. I guess this just proves it.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Yes, I was also thinking that it would be obvious that Snowden would be in contact with state agents if they let him stay in Russia. I guess this just proves it.

Wasn't he in Hong Kong? Well add the Peoples Republic of China too!

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Why not, Snowden can be helpful.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

top topics

join