It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Lawmaker Trolling Trump By Introducing "Drain The Swamp Act"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Washington, D.C. – An Oregon congressman is introducing a bill to make sure that President-elect Donald Trump follows through with his promise to “Drain The Swamp”.

Congressman Peter DeFazio represents Oregon’s 4th District. He introduced The DRAIN the SWAMP Act (Deter Revolving-Door Appointments in Our Nation; Stop Washington Appointees from becoming Manipulative Petitioners, H.R. 647) on Thursday. The legislation would require a five-year ban on lobbying for anyone leaving the Executive Branch. It would also bar any appointed Trump Administration employees from lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.
kobi5.com...

DeFazio’s measure would reflect that proposal with a five-year lobbying ban after leaving the White House, as well as a permanent prohibition on any lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

The bill would also impose penalties for violating Trump's proposed lobbying restrictions to a maximum of five years in prison. Current administration appointees can’t lobby for two years after leaving the executive branch, or else face up to five years in prison or a maximum $50,000 fine. DeFazio's bill would apply the same penalties to Trump's five-year ban and lobbying for foreign governments.

The House is expected to adjourn for the year later Thursday, meaning DeFazio’s legislation will expire with the end of the current session of Congress. But he plans to re-introduce it in January and present it to Trump’s transition team for support.
thehill.com...

The Democratic congressman is brilliantly forcing Trump to put his money where his mouth is. If he genuinely wants to stop the revolving door, Trump will step up and pressure the Republican-controlled Congress to support the bill. If not, he is going to be forced to explain why he doesn't believe he should keep his word to his supporters. What do you think he'll do? We're betting that Trump will pretend DeFazio's bill doesn't even exist.
thedailybanter.com...

I am not sure if he is trolling Trump or not. He may even say he is trolling to cover himself.

Do you think DeFazio is Trolling Trump? Will Trump still "Drain The Swamp"?

edit on 11-12-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

I guess you could call it Trolling but it seems like he's putting Trump in a position of "Put up or Shut up".

Seems like a good call too. It puts Trump in a position where he either does what is right and what he promised or explain why it is that he's breaking that promise.

Either way it's good for the people in that they will see their Pres. do what he said he'd do or they'll reveal that he's been lying to them.

With his cabinet picks I'd say it's a good time for everyone to know if he's going to walk the talk or not.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

"Still Drain The Swamp"..? surely you jest, you unfamilliar with his pick's? he is filling it with the same sewage as before.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

It puts Trump in a position where he either does what is right

Naw , some Democrat (read Liberal) Loon is trying to make Trump do what he wants Trump to do
Aint gonna happen
Drain the Swamp would mean to get rid of the water. To Dredge the Swamp would mean getting rid of sludge like this guy....

edit on 12/11/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But it's just a bill which will put in place policies that Trump himself also called for.

So they're Trumps ideas, only it will actually make them official.

So why wouldn't he want to do them???

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I am a Trump supporter and I believe the Bill is a good idea.

I believe Trump will support this Bill, let's hope it passes.

Trump made a promise to drain the swamp.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I have to say that it's this kind of attitude that is the problem.

Right away you dismiss what this guy is doing because he's a Dem. and automatically allow Trump an easy out without even understanding what's being said here.

I mean don't you want to hold Trump accountable for what he said he'll do???

Personally we should have bills like this for everyone going into office. Call it the "Keep your Promises Bill" or something and list the things they said they'll do which got them elected in the first place.

For far too long we let these people just skip out on the things they say they'll do and we do nothing about it.

Hold their feet to the fire. It's a win win really. You either expose them as a fraud or you get what they promised.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I have to say that it's this kind of attitude that is the problem.

Right away you dismiss what this guy is doing because he's a Dem. and automatically allow Trump an easy out without even understanding what's being said here.

I mean don't you want to hold Trump accountable for what he said he'll do???

Personally we should have bills like this for everyone going into office. Call it the "Keep your Promises Bill" or something and list the things they said they'll do which got them elected in the first place.

For far too long we let these people just skip out on the things they say they'll do and we do nothing about it.

Hold their feet to the fire. It's a win win really. You either expose them as a fraud or you get what they promised.

Ok , but what does drain the swamp mean ?
No one knows , only Trump
You can let your imagination run wild long with that Loon if you like
Me , I look at things logically , reasonably , and intellectually . Wish everyone did

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

No, you're not looking at this logically at all. You're just ignoring it.

It says exactly what "Draining the Swamp" means.

"It's a five-year lobbying ban after leaving the White House, as well as a permanent prohibition on any lobbying on behalf of a foreign government."

Which is exactly what Trump said he was going to do multiple times.

Again, your dismissal of this is very disturbing. You should be loving this idea. Unless of course you have no intention of holding Trump to the promises he's been making.

Are you just following him based on your faith???

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
Trump made a promise to drain the swamp.

Trump made a promise to release his tax returns.....

We have all seen how worthless a promise from Trump actually is!

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

And that ends our discussion,. You assume (and you know what that does to a person) that I follow Trump ?
Buh-bye now

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Trump promised my steak was going to be the best steak ever, but it wasn't all that great.

Look, Trump promised all kinds of things and he's got a proven track record for lying and screwing people over to get ahead.

I think this is brilliant. I'd love to see Trump not support this...

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I'm not assuming anything. I'm asking you flat out.

Whether your a Trump supporter or not doesn't matter.

Why won't you answer the question??

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Exactly. Which is probably why you'll see most Trump Cult Followers avoid this topic like the Plague.

Genuine Supporters who honestly believe Trump will help them will comment, but the Fanboys and Cult Sheep I think will avoid it for multiple reasons.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Don't hold your breath. Just stay focused on the actual issue, which is the lawmaker's idea to put forth lobbying bans.

I think this is a far better/effective solution than term limits. I'd actually make it 10 years after leaving the Senate/Congress that one cannot work in a lobbying capacity.

And I'd define "lobbying capacity" very, very broadly.

That's where a lot of politicians go after they leave office. They get cushy jobs as lobbyists or "consultants" for the very companies they supported and pushed legislation for.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   

No, it's a great bill, I'm not trying to take focus off of that.

But within the spirit of this thread and whether he's being trolled I think it should be interesting to see how this plays out and the support from his side of the isle it actually gets.

It will separate those who want to truly drain the swamp and those who are still living in it.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

It's the "Oh look a mob! I should join, that looks fun!" effect.

Meh.

I'm glad a politician is actually saying, "Hey, I'll even help by introducing some legislation to get you started Mr. Trump!"

Can't say the Dems didn't try to reach across the aisle...

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Right. But let's face it. This isn't exactly just an attempt to reach across the isle. It's calling a bluff. That is the motivation behind this.

I don't think for one second this is being introduced because he knows it will benefit the people of this country by regulating the revolving door of Gov. Officials and Lobbying. It's just a Dem. attempting to make a point that also happens to be a good move on behalf of the People.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Wasn't this Trumps campaign promise instead of trolling looks like hes taking care of one of Trumps promises for him. I guess he liked the idea when Trump said it agreed and is moving on it. Just because hes a democrat doesn't mean he cant do whats right. We may find many democrat's agree with Trump on lots of issues we wont know until he takes office. But if Trump is reasonable there will be democrats that agree. Now if he goes bat s*** crazy which kind of worries me than they wont. Then we have to hope republicans don't follow blindly and pass it. there is checks and balances for a reason so keep your fingers crossed buckle up and keep your hands and feet in the cart were approaching the start of the coaster,

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

That's what I'm saying. However, that doesn't seem to be happening. At least not here so far. Aside from Informer there doesn't seem to be much support from the Trump supporters.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join