It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind of Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Many have traveled (I know I have). We've traveled the World. We've seen many things. Perhaps to each of us these things seem unique, like things no one has ever seen before. I will admit, I think this sometimes.

There was a time when I was maybe somewhat insecure. I didn't believe. I wasn't sure. I doubted myself. Maybe, in some dark way I was even afraid.

I always believed in taking the highest risk. I lived on the edge. I wanted to go higher, further, faster and just come back with mud on my face. I wanted blood streaked across my face. I wasn't happy unless I was beaten, bruised and tired. I was always the one who walked into the proverbial "fire".

It was almost as if I had something to prove...I don't know who I was trying to prove it to, but it was something.

I always wanted to go harder than anyone else.

But we get old (at least I do). That "take no prisoners" attitude is painful anymore.

That "anywhere, anytime" attitude is getting tamed. You know what, -30F is COLD now (never used to be). Getting knocked down by a steer hurts a lot more than it used to.

They say "LIVE your life"...."NEVER be afraid"...it's a mantra, but you know...we get old.

We get old.

My mind is still there, but even though I command the respect and still show no fear, I feel not as capable. I feel more mortal now.

It's a skeery thought...this "mortality" thing.

Just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's even worse when you get old while young.

Thank every lucky star you have!

edit on 10-12-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Thankfully, I can still ride and rope a steer or two, but I feel like I'm chipping away at those "stars" you refer to.

At 54 (well, almost 54), I look back on what I've done and it seems like a thousand years. I guess I should be happy for that, but it takes a toll.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
It all boils down to taking risks and the apparent fun we derive from that. Something we start young the pleasure of pushing boundaries and knowing we have a will. All that happens as you age it you realize it wasn’t all what we believed it to be. Its all a big balloon of air we pumped in to our life, that is all. If and when we become addicted to playing that game eventually we suffer the end of that game. Like a sportsman who no longer can kick the ball, it can be sad if you don’t flick over your view. The winds of change always point to a change of view, if we allow that to happen all is good.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientthunder

Indeed, I've always told my wife, and all my friends; I never want to sit in some old-folks home and say "I wish we would have....", but instead rather; "Do you remember when we..."

I've lived by this mantra.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Love your posts. I wish you could churn these out daily.

What we lose in hutzpah as we get older we usually make up for in wisdom. As we get older we start to see what battles are worth fighting and we know better ways to fight them. Can't fight the aching bones, but can do things smarter to make them ache less.

It's aging with grace.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Crumbs you've got some profound replies here

I'll just add that in age or ill health one adapts. There's always something else that can be done or enjoyed instead.

Just keep things interesting and still try to be useful,

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Nobody left to run with anymore
Nobody left to do the crazy things we used to do before
Nobody left to run with anymore
- The Allman Brothers

Getting old can suck. Things hurt a lot worse, too. Don't grow up. It's a trap.

new topics

top topics

join