It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American troops to stay in Iraq until 2006, so much for leaving after elections if asked.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The Pentagon moved yesterday to quash speculation about a swift pullout of American troops after the election in Iraq as a first step towards complete withdrawal.

Lt-Gen James Lovelace, the deputy chief of staff responsible for operations, said there was no plan to reduce troop numbers for at least two years. The army thought it "most probable" that it would need about 120,000 men in Iraq at least until the end of 2006, he said.

Source

So much for the United States Government saying they will honor the request for us to leave after the elections. This sucks nobody will support the war until 2006.

Looks like they'll need to bring back the Draft before we invade Iran.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphetOfYahweh

The Pentagon moved yesterday to quash speculation about a swift pullout of American troops after the election in Iraq as a first step towards complete withdrawal.

So much for the United States Government saying they will honor the request for us to leave after the elections. This sucks nobody will support the war until 2006.

What request to leave after the elections? Are you aware that the interim PM has asked us to stay, saying that he supports event-based timetables instead of chronological ones.

From the very article you posted as a reference:

Iraq's interim prime minister, Iyad Allawi, said yesterday that now was not the time to talk of an American and British troop withdrawal and that his country must first build up its security forces to confront the insurgents.

Of those speaking about withdrawal, he said: "I will not deal with the security matter under political pretexts and exaggerations that do not serve Iraq and its people.

"I will not set final dates," he said, "because setting final dates will be futile and dangerous."

Please get your facts straight instead of constantly portraying the US in a bad light.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
America will never leave Iraq. They plan to use it as their base of operations against Muslims and Islam across the globe.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProphetOfYahweh
Looks like they'll need to bring back the Draft before we invade Iran.

I don't think there will be an invasion, if any military action is taken against Iran, I think it would be more like a possible incitement of the the internal reformists with some ground assistance and a $hitload of our airpower, which is not stretched thin at all. Meanwhile taking out all the nuclear facilities we can. We would gain air superiority in a matter of about a week. If that.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by 27jd]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
What request to leave after the elections? Are you aware that the interim PM has asked us to stay, saying that he supports event-based timetables instead of chronological ones.

What makes you think Allawi is going to be in power after Sunday?
If there's no voter fraud to alter the election results, it seem as if Allawi's party is going to come in second.

Seattle Times
Most expect the Alliance list to grab the lion's share of votes in the country's Shiite-dominated south, with the slate led by interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, a secular Shiite, coming second. Few in Najaf can even think who might come third.

The leading person of the party expected to win, Ayatollah Abdul Aziz al Hakim, has said he does want foreign troops out as soon as possible. (link)

An article written after the one I linked to says Hakim might not be appointed as Prime Minister but I'm sure he'll still have a great deal of influence. Polls conducted by the International Republican Institute show that he's more popular than Allawi.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrRobertCamp
America will never leave Iraq. They plan to use it as their base of operations against Muslims and Islam across the globe.

Why do you think this, Dr?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrRobertCamp

are you DRharocid?

new topics

top topics

join