It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A week with Canadians

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
You're being very quiet about who or what you managed to purloin for your basement.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Everyone needs a souvenir!

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

So did you ask them Canadians what Canadian bacon is called in Canada?

We call it ham...

or possibly peameal bacon which is ham

lol

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Mais oui, un souvenir est tres essential:

L'embrasser moi vite chapeau

Le baton du rock

Un bon, sharp whip

Les cuffs de mains

La jeune et desirable...

edit on 3-12-2016 by berenike because: Wretched spell checker. You do not know better than I do.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

You're lucky no punches were thrown. French Canadians aren't like the French. I've known a couple dozen men from Quebec, and they all had thick black beards and could stomp the crap outta you if they desired.

Sounds like great conversation. I, too, laugh at Trump and jeer at Hillary. :up;

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Canadians say Back Bacon because of their Rivals. They skin them alive and Throw back their bacon. Grrrr like an angry Grizzly.

Back bacon is called that because.... It's a Canadian Secret. You can't just give a Canucks info out without as much as a penalty for it. Crap... Aint' gonna happen.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

But anyways! So did you ask them Canadians what Canadian bacon is called in Canada? I mean do they just call it Bacon? Since you know technically it comes from there. That would be bizarre would it not? If Canadians called Canadian bacon, Canadian bacon as well. Would it not just be called round bacon. Makes more sense.

We have regular bacon in strips, some maple cured 😋 , but our round bacon (back bacon) is the perfect shape for egg muffins. Although bacon burgers use long strips of bacon 🤔

Maybe we've patented the idea of round bacon, therefore if it's round, it's Cdn?
I really have no idea.....

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
In this clip: two venerated Canadian edumacators explain nothing too much about back-bacon.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
- Bacon
- Backbacon (what you Americans call Canadian bacon)
- Peameal bacon
- Ham

All different.

We love to spoil ourselves by chowing down on Miss Piggy in various different delectable smoked or cured culinary treats.

Why limit yourself to just one ?

Pig....Nom nom nom.

edit on 3-12-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

what gets packaged as Canadian bacon here is noting more than ham. I bet the real deal is good, though.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Its just ham guys...

seriously... lol

Regular bacon comes from the belly of the animal... "canadian" bacon comes from the loin...

its ham

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

ham is usually a butt or picnic roast in my experience. The loin never gets cured, although we do smoke it from time to time.

To me, a good ham is quite fatty. If im being frank, i love everything from the oink to the tail.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I agree.

The fat is what gives everything flavour.

The perfectly round stuff here in Canada is just simply the loin cut (same as the fatty backbacon loin cuts) but without all the fat. It's just yet another way to have some pig but without all the fat. I've only ever eaten the perfectly round fatless stuff on pizzas and egg muffins and the odd burger here and there.

I'll take the regular fatty backbacon or the fatty side belly bacon any day.

As far as I'm concerned the perfectly round fatless stuff is just plain old ham (and tastes like it too).

But backbacon is a whole other ballgame (way more flavour in terms of curing).

You should give peameal bacon a try one day. It's just regular fatty loin cut backbacon but the outside around the fat is coated in peameal or cornmeal. The coating helps to hold in all the fatty juices, which makes for a nice juicy chunk of backbacon. It was my fav as a kid (second to strip bacon of course).

edit on 4-12-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Bacon????

Did somebody say...BACON?????

I came to this thread for....BACON!!!

BACON...BACON...BACON...BACON!!!!!!!

edit on 12/4/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

In the south we have "fatback". Its the subcuteanous fat from the back.

Really....just plain porkfat fried crispy and fully rendered of all moisture is the second greatest thing on Earth. The best thing on Earth is the same with duckfat. Fois Gras, maybe.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Are you talking about cracklins ?

Mmmm, cracklins.

We call them pork rinds up here.

But they're pretty much the same thing, fried crispy chunks of pig fat.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Yes, central Quebec is very beautiful country where nobody speaks English (or so they let on) and I especially love visiting Quebec City. I can't understand why the people there think our medical system is so great when the wait times are quite unacceptable - to me. Unless their populations are lower than elsewhere in Canada, such as Ontario (where I reside), I dunno, but, I would not have let that comment slide without further explanation.

And you are so right, being seasoned or matured through experience allows us to laugh at our differences, most of the time. And it was big of you to let us mock your political leaders because we have only just begun.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Cracklins are awesome. We call them chicharron's here (a nickname also shared by dried cicada skins). Same thing.

But when I think "fatback"....i think this:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
Is that what you Canadians call it. You know, I never actually got a straight answer before.

Though not as fancy a name as I hoped. Maybe round pork bits, or canapork, the whole thing makes very little sense either way. Maybe we should ask why does the rest of the world call it Canadian bacon, when obviously its just ham bits.

Anyways...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join