It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to ban smoking in Public Housing

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: grainofsand
We should be more concerned with getting people out of subsidized housing instead of worrying what they are doing IN subsidized housing.

Agreed, but the trouble is when people get their subsidised homes there is no incentive to move to full self sufficiency so they stay there for life.
That's how it rolls in the UK at least.
Public housing winds me the # up here, cheap rent and they even get their lawns cut on the taxpayer coin.

*Edit*
I used to work for the state and believe it or not but some entitled bastards even phone to complain if their lawn hasn't been mowed.

I'm in a council house and nobody comes and cuts my lawn, are you sure about that one mate?

As to the smoking if they banned it in my house then I could see that it makes sense but I'm still not going to stand outside in the rain when I have a perfectly good utility room to stand in.

I pay my own way though so do not worry your tax money is not paying my 98 quid a week rent for a 4 bed semi...

Yep, the housing association in my area cuts peoples lawns.
And no, you don't 'pay your own way' at all, your home is subsidised by the local taxpayer. You will not find a 4 bed semi for 98 quid in your area and you know it.

Why should the taxpayer subsidise your cheap rented home when you have no disabilities?
What, so you were 'lucky' enough to turn up at the housing office with a couple of kids crying 'vulnerable' when say a single male such as myself is told to # off.
Yeah, nice, I prefer to pay my way as I always have. You do not pay your way.

easy tiger it's technically my other halfs, and yes I was being ironic saying that I paid the rent when it is about a third of what it would be if it was private but that is not the problem with social housing as it is supposed to be affordable for people on lower incomes, it is private rentals that are driving up the cost of rental and given that a lot of those private rental payers are claiming benefits it's sucking money straight out of the system and into the pockets of those already rich enough, how many politicians do you recon don't have a property portfolio?

A lot of people with equity or cash simply buy a house, do as much as they legaly need to do to make it habitable and then move in people claiming benefits knowing that the mortgage is actually getting paid by the taxpayers, then when there is enough equity they release the funds to buy another property and so on and so on......

As to me when I looked into it as a single male with no dependants I was told it would be about 13 years wait.

Genuinely shocked about the lawn mowing though, the only thing our housing association does is major structural work and a yearly boiler check/service but any landlord would do that anyway.

And having thought about it given that the house is 70 years old surely it must have been paid off by now and given that it is maintained by a not for profit housing association I am not convinced that any tax payers cash is subsidising my rent is it?
edit on 4/12/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

So you are on the electoral roll there and your partner isn't claiming as a single parent then?
Very good

You know exactly my point, my taxes fund subsidised public housing as well as the mortgages of private landlords who rent to people on housing benefit.

And on topic if a landlord, be it the state or otherwise, wishes to prohibit smoking in the property then tough suit, don't sign the tenancy agreement.

*edit*
I saw your edit, housing associations get grants off central and local government, check it out, it is publicly available information in the UK.
edit on 4.12.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

So you are on the electoral roll there and your partner isn't claiming as a single parent then?
Very good

You know exactly my point, my taxes fund subsidised public housing as well as the mortgages of private landlords who rent to people on housing benefit.

And on topic if a landlord, be it the state or otherwise, wishes to prohibit smoking in the property then tough suit, don't sign the tenancy agreement.

On topic I agree that a landlord either the state or private has the right to anything legal in the tennancy agreement, if I had a rental property I would prohibit smoking myself and I am a smoker, even though i am permitted to smoke at home I only do so on occasion.

slightly off topic, yes all legit mate, not a fraudster never have been but just had a quick look and a 4 bed round here(5 kids between us so yes it's justifiable before you ask) would cost around 14k per annum private, not that many people have that kind of cash do they or am I just poorer than I thought(which was pretty poor)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Very good

Are the grants not for new developments though? going even more off topic I saw that over 40% of all social housing sold under the right to buy scheme has now been sold by the origonal tennant and ended up in the private rental sector at a far higer rental than it's council neighbours, whoda thunk it eh?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Don't have kids if you can't afford to house them without relying on the taxpayer then.
I have one (now adult) child. I have a two bedroom house. I have always provided without a penny from the taxpayer.

The mother of my child didn't have any more either to her respect and has always worked full time as have I.
It would have been easy for her to have popped out a couple more kids for the extra 70 quid or so a week tax credits blah etc...I know loads of people like that and yeah it winds me the # up.

Again on topic, if you rent off the state then you choose to sign the tenancy agreement, or choose to pay your own way in the commercial market like everyone else.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

well since you are such a strong proponent of fairness, I demand a rebate for taxes I pay to fund social housing. If you are going to evict smokers and deny them rights as a tenant, let the anti-smokers pay their own way without being subsidized by smokers.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Oh behave with your silliness, nobody is forced to sign a tenancy agreement for public housing.
The day they are you might have something to whine about, right now not so much.

Tired of Whining Control Freaks
edit on 4.12.2016 by grainofsand because: stupid auto correct

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I have every right to protest paying for government services that are not available to all but only intended for some. What is the matter - can't non-smokers afford their own subsized housing? What if the government decided that any acts of homosexuality were banned from public housing? I wonder what the reaction would be?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Again you're being silly.
Smokers are free to rent off the state but the state is making its rented properties smoke free as do many private landlords.
Don't rent off the state if it causes you trauma, nobody is forcing you to sign the tenancy agreement.

Tired of Whining Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I think imposing your will and your choices in your neighbours home SHOULD cost you. After all, if its free there is no end of demands but if it costs you....well you tend to be just a little more moderate.

I think smokers should get a discount on their rent for their inconvenience in having to go outside.

Tired of Control Freaks (and also Control Freaks that Whine)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Oh dear, your argument is poor.
Don't sign the tenancy agreement if you disagree with it's terms.

Tired of whining types with a poor argument who are tired of control freaks

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Tired of control freaks who want to impose rules and regulations but not pay for the priviledge!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Don't sign the tenancy agreement, you know that legal document commonly used by private landlords.
Rent somewhere else if you disagree with the tenancy rules.

Plenty of landlords out there if you can't afford to buy your own, you choose the tenancies you sign.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
I don't think many commenters are understanding. Obama isn't banning smoking. He is banning indoor smoking.

We all know how safe it is to go outside every hour in public housing the get a smoke, especially late at night.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Don't you know that if smokers follow the rules, separate themselves from the herd, to stand in allies beside the dumpster, they are already subject to rape, muggings and shooting? It happens outside every bar and restaurant in every town with smoking bans.

And it doesn't matter. A dead smoker is one who has "chosen" to quit.

People who can evict a 90 year old veteran with alzeimer's an his wife, after living in the same apartment for 20 years, because he couldn't make it far enough away to comply with anti-smoking policies, have NO compassion.

Its about power and control. Its always been about power and control.

Ask non-smokers to pay more for their rent in order to compensate smokers for loss of their right to smoke in their own home - watch and see how many actually think its worth the money.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

Agreed...if you cared "ban it". Just another tax cow to be milked

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaIron

I agree with this if these ghetto rats want to smoke they should buy their own house and not stink up one I pay for

Are you as intolerant of your tax dollars killing millions of innocents around the world....

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

They ought to ban smoking in cars too. I was at a stop light, and the guy next to me let out a giant puff of smoke. It blew right into my truck

Never mind about the diesel and carbon monoxide you're breathing in...why because they are odourless? Maybe they should ban the truck you drive in?

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Americans lose their mind over the concept of a dude on welfare buying a pack of cigarettes and a Snickers yet have no quarrel with illegal and high-level activity existing in governments and corporations, te military-industrial complex - it just absolutely blows my mind.

This boggle's my mind as well

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

You are such a drama queen.
Why can your alzeimers example not go outside?
I'm a smoker but I imagine if I was unable to move or be moved then smoking would be the last thing on my mind.
Tough # anyway, rent somewhere else.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join