It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something that always bugged me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
When a thread is closed for staff review, the stars disappear.

I tend to skim very long threads, and yes admittedly, tend to look to the stars for an indication of where the thread is going, and what importance has been derived from the discussion. It also is a good way to spot the best jokes in the thread!

I think it would be more helpful to the reader that when a thread is still viewable, the stars continue to be viewable as well. There could be a hault on new stars being applied, but I'd like to know where the thread was upon closing.

From one of the little people, I would like to submit a suggestion that the stars be left untouched when a thread is closed for review. I realize this would require some rewritten code or something for the site.

Maybe something to consider for the next site reconfoobling?

--NB

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I think a warning at the beginning that a thread has been closed would be helpful.

It's disappointing to read through and get into a thread only to find it's been closed while the participants are still 'up for it'.

It's just different than when a thread comes to a 'natural' end.

The lack of stars don't give me much of a clue. I read posts out of interest, I don't take much notice of the stars.

But, I think you're right - where's the harm in keeping them?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

The stars do at least point to what other members found of interest and to what degree. That's a valuable measurement in my opinion.

Maybe the missing stars is our warning that the thread is closed

edit on 26-11-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
All of the above ^^^^^^

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Second this 1,000%

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I am usually looking at new topic, so stars are not of real intrest to me at this point. I will put out there that when I was looking through the site some years ago, I enjoyed seeing how many stars a post had and that was how I decided is they were worth a read. If others are doing what I did, then some very good threads may go unread.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
I think a warning at the beginning that a thread has been closed would be helpful.

When the "reply" button is missing, that gives it away.
Except when the thread is closed while you're in the middle of reading it.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I think it would be more helpful to the reader that when a thread is still viewable, the stars continue to be viewable as well. There could be a hault on new stars being applied, but I'd like to know where the thread was upon closing.

^^^

What he said....

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I agree the threads should still be viewable, especially when you come back later and are halfway through it, it's just gone. not fair.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I understand what you mean, but as a member, I think that makes sense.

If the thread is closed then it means that interaction with that thread is suspended, so the ability to add stars is removed.

Apparently, the ability to remove stars is connected to the ability to show the stars, so when we lose one we lose the other.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I think we've established that my powers of observation are negligible

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I think just reading the posts with the most stars lead to a sheeple type membership..... sometimes i see posts with one or no stars and they make total sense although against the OP's narrative, hence defing this sites motto

DENY IGNORANCE.

ETA. i could be wrong, doubt it.

new topics

top topics

join