It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing 9,500 year old statue discovered 2015 near Kirovograd, Ukraine-- Shigir Idol.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Good evening ATS!

The Shigir Idol, found a couple of years ago in the Ukraine is considered one of the most important historical finds yet.. incredible!

Just read about an exciting discovery of a gorgeous, 2.8 meter wooden statue covered in Mesolithic symbols in an open gold mine in the Ukraine unlike anything that has been found in Europe.

Scientists have yet to decipher the carvings, but have great expectations about what they will find. While I'm not convinced it "holds a coded message about the origins of mankind" as researchers believe, it's fascinating and lovely nonetheless.

Take a look at the accompanying article and video-- it's really magnificent!

Have a great evening. Look forward to hearing what you think!

siberiantimes.com...

edit on 24-11-2016 by zosimov because: date was off, added source

edit on 25-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

this must be some of that fake news going around.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Color me skeptic, but how does a piece of wood survive 10,000 years?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Just looked up the museum it's housed in.. Here's trip advisor's site about the museum--Yekaterinburg
www.tripadvisor.com... l

siberiantimes.com...

An excerpt:

The Idol is the oldest wooden statue in the world, estimated as having been constructed approximately 9,500 years ago, and preserved as if in a time capsule in a peat bog on the western fringe of Siberian. Expert Svetlana Savchenko, chief keeper of Shigir Idol, believes that the structure's faces carry encoded information from ancient man in the Mesolithic era of the Stone Age concerning their understanding of 'the creation of the world'. German scientists are now close to a precise dating - within five decades - of the remarkable artifact, which is a stunning example of ancient man's creativity. The results are likely to be known in late February or early March, The Siberian Times can reveal. Now the question is turning among academics to a better understanding of the symbols and pictograms on this majestic larch Idol, one of Russia's great treasures, which is now on display a special glass sarcophagus at its permanent home, Yekaterinburg History Museum, where Savchenko is senior researcher.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Well that's a valid question. And a healthy dose of scepticism is good.

According to vid, it was encased in peat somehow as a result of the conditions of the open air gold mine?

That's if I read the video properly
edit on 24-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1
Color me skeptic, but how does a piece of wood survive 10,000 years?

How does a mammoth nearly fully intact , last longer ?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

this must be some of that fake news going around.

Where? I don't see MSNBC or CNN's logo on that piece of artifact. You said there was fake news

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy

That would be a depressing find (CNN logo on a gorgous old statue)..

edit on 24-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I love the catchphrase Mesolithic

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Great find S&F

That said I do find the over the top guesswork a bit much.
They admit they have no idea what the symbols mean or even if theyre more than decoration.

I speculate its Neanderthal grannies special recipe for roast mammoth, at this stage my recipe hypothesis is as likely as their creation myth one

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
A possible attempt of Ukraine trying to boost their tourism maybe . You would think that carbon dating might be do-able and the cost shouldn't be that costly .Its probably just a old totem pole .

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
For anyone doubting the story....a thread on ATS from last year on it being dated to 11kbp

www.abovetopsecret.com...

an amazing find of a rather ugly statue.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Aha. I thought it wouldn't have fallen through the cracks here! I searched for 10,000 year old statue before I saw the "name" of the statue and didn't get any hits (for the obvious reason that the date was off).

Thanks for the added info

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

It has been known for decades that peat can do a good job of preserving the remains of humans and their clothing. Decades ago I saw in National Geographic images of perfectly preserved human remains that were dumped into bogs.

The details suggest that the column will tell us about the creation of the world and humanity. That is a bit of a stretch, however. But will tell us about beliefs at that time, and what sort of implements they used to carve it and their understanding of geometric design. What else can be determined may be shocking, hoax or the real thing.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

The details suggest that the column will tell us about the creation of the world and humanity. That is a bit of a stretch, however. But will tell us about beliefs at that time, and what sort of implements they used to carve it and their understanding of geometric design. What else can be determined may be shocking, hoax or the real thing.

Great point. I, too, am very doubtful that we will find any answers about our creation from this statue.. but there is so much we can get out of such an ancient artifact!

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

a healthy dose of scepticism is good

Why are you all so skepitcal of scientists and reporters, but you unquestioningly believe all the scam artists in business, politics and religion?

And you wonder why people think Americans are crazy and stupid?

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Why are you all so skepitcal of scientists and reporters, but you unquestioningly believe all the scam artists in business, politics and religion?

Ha, as if human intelligence or stupidity would be limited to a geographical location!

Here's the etymology of the word sceptic from the Oxford Online Etymology Dictionary:

skeptic (n.) Look up skeptic at Dictionary.com also sceptic, 1580s, "member of an ancient Greek school that doubted the possibility of real knowledge," from Middle French sceptique and directly from Latin scepticus "the sect of the Skeptics," from Greek skeptikos (plural Skeptikoi "the Skeptics, followers of Pyrrho"), noun use of adjective meaning "inquiring, reflective" (the name taken by the disciples of the Greek philosopher Pyrrho, who lived c. 360-c. 270 B.C.E.), related to skeptesthai "to reflect, look, view" (see scope (n.1)). Skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found. [Miguel de Unamuno, "Essays and Soliloquies," 1924] The extended sense of "one with a doubting attitude" first recorded 1610s. The sk- spelling is an early 17c. Greek revival and is preferred in U.S. As a verb, scepticize (1690s) failed to catch on.

But I do find the dismissive reaction (out of hand, without any cross-checking) to this thread kind of funny!

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

In all fairness, we've seen a lot of reports from sites that looked legit and quoted scientists that didn't exist.

(I was also skeptical of this when it first appeared on the news but later found more convincing sources.

For those asking, any organic thing that falls into an anaerobic environment (a brine pit, peat, etc) can be preserved. It's fairly rare for animals and insects and birds but more common for woo.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
S&F nice find.

An old "totem" pole is a great discovery to share what is lost of the ancient hedonistic culture aspects of the area.

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
A possible attempt of Ukraine trying to boost their tourism maybe . You would think that carbon dating might be do-able and the cost shouldn't be that costly .Its probably just a old totem pole .

Doubtful as to tourism as the country has been and still escalating in being torn apart.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
S&F nice find.

An old "totem" pole is a great discovery to share what is lost of the ancient hedonistic culture aspects of the area.

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Doubtful as to tourism as the country has been and still escalating in being torn apart.

Thanks, I am especially amazed by the age.. it pre-dates any of the pyramids by thousands of years!

I don't think it's an attempt to boost Ukrainian tourism. Especially since it's being housed in a museum in Russia.

Can't wait till they decipher the glyphs

join