It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian city and graveyard dating back more than 7000 years uncovered by archaeologists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
www.news.com.au... rchaeologists/news-story/2b6bf593c84f2a9e1c6b2007b7f3f707

AN ANCIENT Egyptian city and graveyard dating back more than 7000 years has been uncovered by archaeologists.

The discovery was made in the ancient city of Abydos in southern Egypt, located around 400 metres from the Temple of Seti I.
Believed to date back to 5316BC, excavators working on the site claimed to have uncovered huts, pottery and stone instruments.

Archaeologists also claim to have discovered 15 large graves, with some of them notably larger than the royal graves in Abydos.

As the city of Abydos was founded by predynastic rulers and is famed for its temples such as that of Seti I and its graves, researchers believe the city and cemetery were likely home to high-ranking officials and grave builders.

The antiquities ministry made the announcement about the lost civilisation on Wednesday.

“This discovery can shed light on a lot of information on the history of Abydos,” a ministry statement said.

The find could be a much-needed boost for Egypt’s struggling tourism industry, which dropped from 14.7 million tourists in 2010 to 9.8 million in 2011 following the uprising that toppled the autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno
Link is broken, this one works
www.swissinfo.ch...

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This link to news.com.au should work....

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Egypt is one place i wish to see some day it's an amazed testimony of life and when it began. I like your post.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: T0rMenT0R

I spent 6 months there in college studying abroad. I had a wonderful experience, the people were very nice and accommodating, and seeing all of those ancient monuments is truly humbling.

I hope you get the chance to go.

For the record, I NEVER felt like I was in danger. The tourist police carry AK-47s and are EVERYWHERE.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tman2135
a reply to: T0rMenT0R

For the record, I NEVER felt like I was in danger. The tourist police carry AK-47s and are EVERYWHERE.

If people need to carry AK47's EVERYWHERE, so someone can sightsee......and that doesnt clue you in that danger is around you..... I dont even know what to say.

Maybe growing up in Detroit gave me some street smarts that suburban kids didnt get

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Thanks mate!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

Or, maybe the Egyptians are just fiercly protective of their much coveted tourism dollars and want to show the tourists that they are sparing no expense in protecting them. In other words, it could just be a display of power, for show, mainly for the tourists themselves to be impressed and feel important, and safe, but also as a secondary effect to show anyone thinking of trying anything that they had better think twice before they step up, cause the police are definitely not short on firepower, and they will not hesitate in the least to protect their livelihood (tourism dollars.

Basically, it might just be overkill and not really necessary, but if it makes the tourists feel safe, and tells the criminals/terrorists "dont F with our money!" then its a pretty cost effective tool.

Then again, I don't know anything about the statistics of the safety of tourists in Egypt as related to the display and/or use of those AK47s... maybe they are used on a near daily basis and tourists are being picked off left and right and youd have to have a death wish to go near the place...

edit on 11/24/2016 by 3n19m470 because: Not to mention the priceless treasures they have to protect from religious fanatics. Id have guys with AKs guarding the pyramids, temples, tombs, museums, etc, too! Maybe some of the overkill/display of power is for that, too, and not just Only for protecting human life. But yes, of course, it is in the Middle East/North Africa and is a Muslim region so of course there is an elevated level of danger there and ISIS has a presence in EGYPT as well. That doesn't mean I'd be afraid to visit. That's how the terrorists win, by instilling a sense of terror which prohibits you from doing what you would normally do otherwise.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: Zimnydran

Or, maybe the Egyptians are just fiercly protective of their much coveted tourism dollars and want to show the tourists that they are sparing no expense in protecting them. In other words, it could just be a display of power, for show, mainly for the tourists themselves to be impressed and feel important, and safe, but also as a secondary effect to show anyone thinking of trying anything that they had better think twice before they step up, cause the police are definitely not short on firepower, and they will not hesitate in the least to protect their livelihood (tourism dollars.

Basically, it might just be overkill and not really necessary, but if it makes the tourists feel safe, and tells the criminals/terrorists "dont F with our money!" then its a pretty cost effective tool.

Then again, I don't know anything about the statistics of the safety of tourists in Egypt as related to the display and/or use of those AK47s... maybe they are used on a near daily basis and tourists are being picked off left and right and youd have to have a death wish to go near the place...

Wow dude...and your edit note, all very well said!

Had to give u a *

top topics

join