It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 Year Old World Map Found In 1907 Newspaper Shows More Land Beyond The Antarctica Edge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vechthaan

The only people that believe in flat earth are people who have never been on big water. Any body of water over 20 miles in width shows the earth's curvature.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Vechthaan

Been listening these guys a awhile and it just makes Sense...

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'd be more impressed if they were actually accurate.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

Thank you for taking what I wanted to say to that guy and putting it more nicely than I ever could've

Have we finally reached the point of no return where even the fringe sites like ATS get troll traffic? Because while I can believe flat earthers are as dumb as the guys post was trolling makes way more sense

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Let's see

Map made over 100 years ago

or

Current maps based on knowledge through tech advances including satellites.

Yeah, it is a difficult choice.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
I'm going with "hoax" from a Flat Earther of the 1900's. The map is wildly inaccurate, and is inconsistent with the way Japanese drew maps. The "found by a relative in an ancient temple where it was hidden to protect it from government that would destroy it" is a common fiction told when bringing out this kind of thing.

A real item would have included verifiable data. (the border decoration on the map is also not Chinese or Japanese or even Asian.)

I would believe, however, that it's a map someone painted inside a bowl.

A blog comment that might be of interest from back in 2016.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I'd be more impressed if they were actually accurate.

This is an interesting observation. The map is actually surprisingly accurate in my opinion, it is just skewed more as if it was accounting for the curvature of a larger sphere than what we accept as the size of earth, being plotted on flat paper.

Just to be clear, I am conceptually arguing the idea that the earth is larger than TPTB will admit, and we have been surrounded by an ice mass (natural or otherwise) that we consider as Antarctica. Beyond the ice barrier could be other intelligent life, a breakaway civilization, etc. They may look at us the way we look at a tribe in the Amazon. They just leave us be. Maybe that’s where UFO’s come from. Who knows. I’m floating this as an interesting concept because it’s been on my mind since I saw the map.

In support of this theory, I think one possibility if the map is legitimate, is that it doesn’t show a flat earth, but a larger earth where the continents we are familiar with are completely surrounded by this large ice mass. We may know this ice ring as Antarctica. The flat earth theory of being encircled by an ice wall could be just a misinterpretation of the observation that the circumference of Antarctica is many times what we admit it to be on maps. They think we’re on flat earth surrounded by an ice wall. I propose a larger globe where the continents we are familiar with are actually all in the norther hemisphere. So instead of a wall it just becomes an ice mass encircling the entire globe at that norther latitude.

Then below that ice mass you have the other continents we can see on the map. Some close to the edge would be near the actual South Pole. Other near the ring may be near or at the actual equator. Also the landmasses outside of the ice ring would be much smaller than represented on the map as they are distorted by nature of the map being centered on the North Pole and them being in the Southern Hemisphere mostly.

I don’t buy the idea that these continents are all just Antarctica from different approaches. They are mapped much too precisely, some even with water bodies within shown. Based on the accuracy of the inner map I would assume the same accuracy of the rest of the land masses. Again, if this is a real map.

Some other notable properties of this theory are that all of the typical flat earth anti arguments fall short. The earth is still round, Antarctica would still be a place you could travel to (assuming you are prevented from attempting to circumnavigate it, and you are not allowed to cross it while flying over it, both of which happen to be somewhat true). There would still be a round horizon, and none of the do at home tests really have the precision to say wether the earth is 2x as large as claimed. Sure I’ve ridden in an airplane, but can I really extrapolate the size of the earth from my view out the window? Also, isn’t it strange that we have the largest ratio of moon size to planet size that we have ever observed? Wouldn’t it make more sense if the earth were actually larger? GPS satellites could compensate for the actual size, and programmers building software that use them would be none the wiser. It wouldn’t be the most difficult thing to keep secret. Even the video you see from the ISS isn’t far enough out to see entire size of earth, just the relative area it is over.

So I challenge someone to convince me that my baseless theory is wrong. I am aware we have to write off all of the images from DSCOVR as altered or fake, as well as the original blue pearl from 1973.

edit on 19-10-2019 by NewPerspectiveHomie because: More

edit on 19-10-2019 by NewPerspectiveHomie because: Clarification

edit on 19-10-2019 by NewPerspectiveHomie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

From the Hawaiian Gazette, Friday, January 11, 1907

This map is very interesting because it is very similar to a Dymaxion/Fuller Projection Map not invented until the 1940's by Buckminster Fuller except it shows much more land which is not visible on other world maps.

www.newspapers.com...

Great find! Thanks to whomever resurrected this thread.

I have a very keen interest in antique maps and have been collecting them for over 15 years. I have a few beauties including a hand colored map of the US done in 1773. It's stunningly beautiful and only depicts the eastern US before the US was even a country. It was hand drawn and hand colored in France. If I can find a pic of it, I'll post it if anyone is interested.

In any event, this does resemble an early mercator projection map. Whoever did it, had an awful lot of information - especially knowing it was completed 1000 years ago.

I never cease to marvel at the intelligence, resourcefulness and ingenuity that people can demonstrate.

I'd love to know where this Japanese map maker got his information. Wouldn't you?

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Interesting old thread 👍
I'm going with flat earther fake from guy in the early 1900's, made local newspaper, then forgotten about.
Aristotle nailed it when he noticed different stars after crossing the equator way back in the day though ffs lmao 😂😂😂

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
" A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder " is reference to a scifi story from the 1888, it's on Gutenberg press for free.

it's a story about a world in the antartic, much like "The land time forgot". 1918 ERB I read it about 8 months ago.

this theme was popular in the 1900's, so yeah I think this was someone trying to write a novel.

ETA: I've been reading the Gutenberg press ever since it came online, I'm about halfway thru all the books there.

My wife says I have read well past a million books in the last 27 years we have been married, on average I read about 3 hours a day, that is just books, not news or anything else.
edit on 20-10-2019 by thedigirati because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
" A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder " is reference to a scifi story from the 1888, it's on Gutenberg press for free.

it's a story about a world in the antartic, much like "The land time forgot". 1918 ERB I read it about 8 months ago.

this theme was popular in the 1900's, so yeah I think this was someone trying to write a novel.

ETA: I've been reading the Gutenberg press ever since it came online, I'm about halfway thru all the books there.

My wife says I have read well past a million books in the last 27 years we have been married, on average I read about 3 hours a day, that is just books, not news or anything else.

Its not a bad book at all read it a few years ago

www.gutenberg.org...

Yeah Gutenberg is great as are all the free old books on Google play. Maps, illustrations, and diagrams from those books, magazines and other materials may be 'found' by believers who will take them as real when they are fictional or written by people who believe they were true.

An example: there is a book with maps and extensive details about a "lost civilization" (in this case a survival of one of Alexander 's colonies set up in Bactria) hidden under a desert in Central Asia. Will some one next year or a century from now read it and declare the Perrioe - the name of the colony - as having existed and having been found in 1838 by a British officer? I hope not!

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Great ATS thread

We could sure use more research like this on the boards and stuff like this should be more front page than Politics , Admiral Byrd was a interesting fellow with his choice of words in a documentary i watched about him and his awareness of the camera , When worldly well travelled and educated men like him speak we should listen carefully to those words and syntax

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

Wow i am impressed with your dedication to the book G-D ,

I have read a few thousand myself which is nothing especially when you get Dementia and forget what book that thing was in

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

My Grandmother was a libriarian, for my 10th b-day she gave me "I, Robot" by Issac Asimov (not the movie version)

My sophomore years I skipped class and read the entire libirary, like 10,000 books in that year.

I am addicted to reading. I only sleep 4-5 hours a day. the rest is reading, (i'm 58 and retired)

I wish I could get paid to read LOL

Some of the older material is fun to read, and very racist by todays standards but fun none the less.

Hollywood could have a lot of free material for little to no effort. it's a shame...

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

You sound so much like me it is scary , i used to date a girl decades ago that had a teacher as a mother no television or anything her home was like a library with every inch of it filled with books , Super intelligent clean living people vegetarian , non smoking drinking and dating me for 2 years WTF .

I must be a really slow reader a few thousand is my max and that was me like you reading in bed in my 40-50 non stop , i read the side of food packets and i am needing to finish a book i am on tonight but i will forget 99% by the end of the week , but hey it keeps me off Ebay
and here ,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join