It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I'm glad you liked it.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that my son introduced me to it, that seems to have thrown the conversation into an unintended loop...I just didn't want to pretend that I am 'hip to the kids'

It was through that episode of Film Theory that I, and my son, were first introduced to it. Matthew Patrick is one of my favourite of my son's favourite youtubers. He was watching a Game Theory this morning explaining hypnotism in the context of Mario Bros Luigi. It was really rather well done.

Thanks for linking that, I can confirm the explanation given in Film Theory helps a great deal but some of the cultural nuances, as TNMockingbird points out, mean I disagree in some places with him...but that is all part and parcel of art appreciation.

Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
Well, *rubs eyes*

What a creative and wonderfully wacky show!

I think Anaana that when you mentioned Film Theory, that it is absolutely 100% essential to watch it after you have watched the six episodes, which I implore ATS to do.

I had so many Ah-Ha! moments at the amazingly deep and complex story, which I'm not ashamed to admit I missed most off. So If I might be able to Anaana I will post their brilliant analysis of the show which really tied everything together for me.

I was wrong, that wasn't the Film Theory that I had seen, sorry. This is the one I had seen...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

Gah!

Don't tell me there's a completely new way to look at it now! XD

I'll take a watch of this new one you posted and see what they took from it, I guess everyone will take this in various ways. All I know is this thread way a really nice breather from the US elections and I wish more people would take a few minutes to watch this really interesting series. Thanks again for posting it

Edit,
Ahhh, The video you posted is actually like a part 1 of the video I posted which is like a part 2. Fills in a few more blanks for me.

edit on 24-11-2016 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
Edit,
Ahhh, The video you posted is actually like a part 1 of the video I posted which is like a part 2. Fills in a few more blanks for me.

Likewise with the one you posted.

I'm just sorry that I scuppered myself and somehow made the thread about my parenting...not what I intended but I should've known better, I'm in knee-jerk central.

It really is an excellent series and well worth watching, as is Matt Patrick's dissection (both of them) on it. There are some very, very bright buttons out there doing great work full of integrity and wisdom. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Look, now that I think about it when I was a about 8 I saw the original Charlie and the Chocolate factory and the part where they go into that tunnel was freaking scary. But we all survived. So yeah, parenting always depends on the kid and every one of them are different in their intelligence and maturity. A parent knows either way if something they are watching has made them uncomfortable and they will console their child. Kids have to be scared, bored, excited, etc. to come out balanced and understanding of the world. Otherwise they reach 'adulthood' and their safe space bubbles prevent any critical thinking.

Turned out my daughters had both already seen it (16 and 18). Which I'm cool with, they are arty, creative (lol) types. One was really into the background story of it all and excitedly asked if I knew 'this and that' about all the hidden things. They both really dug it.

I have a couple of nephews, (11 and 13). I would watch it with the 13 year old and in fact if I had known I probably would have watched it with him when he was 9-10. But his younger brother is another story. I don't think he would be capable of processing it even when he's 16-17....

So yeah, I think bringing up children in this thread is certainly not putting a step wrong Anaana! It is after all a 'kids' show so that subject is bound to come up. Oh and by the way, you mentioned your child wasn't south park ready yet, however, this season and in particular last season were really amazing. I hadn't watched the previous 10 or so seasons before it, but was advised it was really different. The entire season is now a continuing story and they really deal with current issues really well. So yeah, when they are ready to deal with a few d@#k and fart jokes they will learn heaps. They have really stepped up South Park and actually provide believe it or not a sensible look at safe spaces, bullying, social networks and antidisestablishmentarianism which I can't believe I've now actually used in a sentence for the first time in my life!
(Or, just bugger off the kid for now and enjoy them yourself
but start at last season before this current one)

I just wish some of ATS would jump into this thread and watch this incredible set of short series about don't hug me I'm scared.
edit on 25-11-2016 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Thanks Qumulys

My parenting 'style' can be a little laid back but then the boy makes it so damn easy, it is difficult not to get relaxed. He has, naturally enough, developed a taste for conspiracies and he engaged with DHMIS at that level through Matt Patrick and Film Theory, he isn't though particularly creatively inclined, so he didn't feel the same way about it as I did. Plus, when I first watched it, I was fresh from a psychotic episode which left me very sensitive to symbolic imagery, especially when associated with colours. I watch it slightly differently, now that I am fully recovered and less sensitive, as it were, but it still gets under my skin in a really funny way.

South Park...errr...maybe, sometimes I don't know whether I am preserving his innocence or mine, or that I am just plain confused. Probably all of the above. I usually just watch what he watches, or vice versa, it is only in the past couple of years that we have been watching more things independently on a regular basis. I don't know that I have an issue with South Park or that I just need to have a boundary point for the time being. Live action stuff is easier to an extent, it is more definable. I let him watch Terminator, but he's a while off appreciating the Hateful 8, know what I mean? Either way, I will perhaps consider suggesting South Park to him and change the boundary...as you do.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Either way, since you're not too familiar with how it is, I'd certainly watch it yourself first before getting the young one in. But they really tackle issues stunningly well compared to what else is on tv (if you ignore the flamboyant bits that is). But its the underlying messages and themes that they are somehow nailing better in a 'cartoon' than anything else on tv with live actors.

Anyway, best of luck with the ongoing recovery

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

The brain is as recovered as it is ever going to be, working my way through the underlying physical issues that caused it, is taking a little more time, but I am definately getting there. Thanks

Recommendation taken. I shall add the last two seasons of South Park to the 'to watch' pile.

All the best.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join