It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Web Police to Fight Pedophiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
In a major initiative involving law enforcement and internet companies from around the world, children and parents will soon be able to report suspected online pedophile activity via the Virtual Global Task Force (VGTF) website. Links are being placed on the main Microsoft and AOL portal pages, and it will even be possible to access the site from Internet-enabled cellular phones.

news.bbc.co.uk
By Neil Bennett
BBC Crime Correspondent

Police and major internet companies around the world have launched a website on which children can report their suspicions about the activities of possible paedophiles.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This initiative is directed, in particular, at online "grooming" activities by pedophiles. Anyone observing questionable activity will be able to visit the VGTF site, where they will be advised on how to determine the offender's IP address and user name. The site will also provide information on how to stay safe online.

The deterrent aspect is being highlighted, and law enforcement officials will have the option to simply warn offenders. They believe this will allow them to concentrate resources on the more serious types of offenses, especially since "grooming" is very difficult to prove.

Some will probably see this as more Big Brother, but I would say that anything that targets pedophile scum should be applauded.

Related News Links:
www.nationalcrimesquad.police.uk

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
If there's any group of people I can't find sympathy for it's pedophiles.

Good for them to introduce this. We have one in Canada, Cybertip.ca, and it has led to 10 individuals being arrested, and over 400 wesites have been shut down.
Anyone in the world can submit a tip to them and they will investigate, and turn it over to the proper authorities.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
At first I wondered what the big deal was because, as you say, there are already other online resources. The difference here, though, is having the two biggest providers place a prominent link on their main portals. Also, as far as I know this is the first effort that will show people how to indentify IP addresses. (These can, of course, be "spoofed", but it's still a major clue, and a starting point for any law enforcement effort...)

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I don't think we are anywhere near 'too many resources' for this problem. Every single tool people have to fight back and protect children is a useful one. The internet has just made it too easy for pedophiles to reach kids, so I think it would be great for a child or parent to have a 'panic button' to press if something makes him/her feel uncomfortable.

Also, having the link visible will help people remember to use it. And that, as Martha would say, is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Though I agree with this law, and have reported a site that had content of that nature, think about this,
Would you rather have them getting off to pictures online or would you rather them go kidnap kids and molest/rape them.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
If those were my only two choices, the answer would be obvious.

But before the advent of the internet, we didn't have seriously disturbed individuals pimping their children on the www. I believe that the internet has played a part in the increase of child abuse of this nature. I realize this was a taboo subject not too long ago, and it may just be that we didn't know the extent of it, but it certainly appears as though it has facilitated communication between the various perverts and degenerates.

But better safe than sorry, if we can catch him while he's at home getting off, then we won't need to worry about him escalating to actual live children. Then we can leave him in General Population overnight, and spread the word what he's in for........

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Though I agree with this law, and have reported a site that had content of that nature, think about this,
Would you rather have them getting off to pictures online or would you rather them go kidnap kids and molest/rape them.

Well, when you can convince me that looking at pictures online keeps them from kidnapping kids offline -

Anyway - being forced to pose in the photos is molesting of a sort. Exploitive, atleast. So where do the pictures come from? Catch 22.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Also, the intent of this particular initiative is to deal with the "grooming" side of things. These are the sickos who lurk around in teenie chat rooms, perhaps pretend to be a teenager themselves, try and establish an online relationship. They can be very patient and cunning, willing to "groom" their targets for months or even longer, hoping for an eventual meeting.

One problem is that this activity may not even be technically "illegal" (perhaps depending on what country the perp is in). The authorities are hoping that a warning will make at least some of them think again.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I wish them luck. They just popped a guy here in the bay area. He flew in from Vegas to meet what the thought was a 12 year old. To bad she was really a 22 year old police officer!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
about time somebody DOES something about this problem!

makes me angry, the minute i hear the word "pedophile".

just cut off his johnson and thats it!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Good ! The problem is especially bad in Indochina where these animals prey on the poor. They should be chemically castrated. Bloody animals !

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
FredT says,

Some will probably see this as more Big Brother, but I would say that anything that targets pedophile scum should be applauded.

So everyone must be under big brothers gaze for the deeds of a few eh?
Selling us all up the river to pay for the misdeeds of a tiny minority.

I totally agree that pedophillia is a disturbing problem that needs to be addressed.
BUT
The "TURN IN YOUR NEIGHBOR" mentality is boarderline paranoia.
We're breeding a nation of distrust, and i fear that this system could also be used to "attack" people with...people that arent pedophiles...using untrained individules that might interpret something and report it where in reality nothing existed.

If every online citizen is to suddenly be charged with police investigative powers,
What criteria is provided the average person to educate/inform them as what constitutes a violation in order to submit? (aside from the obvious, hey little girl, want some candy)

Another problem i see is USA citizens or any citizen of a soverign nation suddenly being subjected to laws in other countries...who appointed a "world police force" Did you elect that sheriff? I sure didnt.
Here are the agencies involved,

It is an international alliance of law enforcement agencies comprising the NCS in the UK, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Australia's Hi-Tech Crime Centre, the US Department of Security and Interpol.
At the least id like to hear about how the legal boundaries work with this crime issue before saying "sure, throw open the legal doors of the world onto our citizenry."

This DOES smack of big brother im sorry to say, right out of george orwells book, computer links to the man, where they can come for you based on an untrained allegation. designed to do what?
Induce FEAR into the populace to control them.
as the man says,

Police hope to deter those they describe as the "curiously deviant" so they can concentrate on the more serious internet paedophiles.
Well meaning, but fear inducing none the less in its intent.

We all know camera's dont stop crime, they barely deter it...how many surveilance video's do you see of people robbing banks and 7-11's when they KNOW they will be on camera? Their level of deturrance is questionable...the level of busts resulting from the evidence left has helped convict criminals, but still people rob banks and places with cameras.
How is this program any different?

I remain very skepticle of giving law enforcement power over citizens that already dont have "internet rights" defined in the first place.
Let alone giving international law enforcement such powers.
And i certantly dont trust the citizens to always use this properly (how about a jealous soon to be ex spouce making false reports or setting the other up by faking the contact themselves, just one example)

AGAIN, pedophilia is a dispicable crime, (yet its not murder which has no such system being implemented for that))
BUT
the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by CazMedia]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
Good ! The problem is especially bad in Indochina where these animals prey on the poor. They should be chemically castrated. Bloody animals !
Chemically castrated for sure or i would only to happy to come around with the Razor Blade and a bit of Tar and Feathers you hold em i fix em. Not only them theres another Breed of people in our society i would like to give a bit of a nick with the old cut-throat but thats another story.
All PEDOPHILES scum of the Earth should be exterminated.

new topics

top topics

join