It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian House Design

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
We could be living on Mars by 2030 – in this house.

Astronomers at the Royal Observatory have come up with a design for what they say Martian homes will have to be like in order to deal with Martian extremes such as cold and radiation. Part of that design includes a layer of Martial soil that's 2 ft thick, and colorful designs on the interior to keep people happy since most of their time will be spent indoors. The Royal Observatory's ambition is to have people travelling to Mars in "cyclic" maybe staying for 2 years at a time to work on the Red planet.

The home – a dome of red imitation Mars rock – was designed with input from Royal Observatory astronomers and Stephen Petranek, the author of How We'll Live on Mars, and launched ahead of National Geographic's docu-drama series MARS. It's intended to be as realistic as possible in terms of dealing with the challenges of the harsh Martian environment.

The dome houses a narrow bunk bed, a 3D printer, a basic exercise machine and a space suit, among other gadgets. The walls of the dome are about two feet thick, but Petranek says that on the Red Planet they would need to be more like 12 or 15 feet thick in order to keep out dangerous levels of cosmic radiation at the planet's surface.

"Mars is a very hostile environment," says Petranek. "Everything on Mars is about the thin atmosphere," he says. "On Mars you have to protect yourself from radiation." Mars is twice as far away from the Sun as Earth. A Martian year is twice as long – 867 days. At the equator in the summer, temperatures can reach 20°C, but are still at least -70°C at night.

Interesting...the race to Mars is on. Admittedly by Stephen Petranek, the author of "How We'll Live on Mars," private Space may get there first but government Space programs are pushing ahead with their own endeavors to explore/colonize Space. Has private Space opened the floodgates? Would government Space programs such as NASA, the ESA, etc even be all that interested if not for private Space? Whatever the case, it looks like humanity will soon be on MARS.....What says ATS?

www.ibtimes.co.uk.../rss/yah oous/news&yptr=yahoo

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Great, a mud Igloo

Count me out, i like squares / rectangles etc, don't think i could live in "round"

ETA: why the red warning light on the tripod, do flying saucers really fly that low?
edit on 2016-11-12T08:11:09-06:002016Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:11:09 -0600bSaturday1111America/Chicago168 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I guess I'm a pessimist when it comes to this, but I don't see humans ever successfully inhabiting mars. It's too hostile to our species. Not much to offer us in terms of surviving.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Red light probably is to find it easier in a sand storm.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing.

i have a feeling that any designs that really make it will be interlocking.
It's pretty incredible to think we may well settle Mars in the not too distant future... It has to have some utility though, like important experimentation, so I think most of the early settlers will be scientists.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

ETA: why the red warning light on the tripod, do flying saucers really fly that low?

Maybe not the saucers but he inhabitants might, I mean if your asking what the red light is for. Rent can't be free.

I wonder if the goal is to get humans off of earth. Kind of the opposite of Elysium.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Red light probably is to find it easier in a sand storm.

never thought of that, however, in a "red sand storm" is a red light the best solution?

2nd

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Great , we're to take stone cladding to Mars.

Here's the video , I prefer the inside to the out.

I'd like to think this could happen by 2030 but I think that is very optimistic , perhaps by 2050.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I guess somebody already stole that idea..

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

LOL
never thought of THAT use of the red light .... hahaha

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

to you for something I can wrap my head around in the more serious educational threads!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be obvious that the house printing CNC technology would be the ideal technology for colonizing space?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

It seems red light affect less low light conditions sight.

But it could also be mars red light district

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It would seem a envelope type ranch, located beneath the Martian surface with view ports of the surface and a subterranean region would be safer for early private sector pioneers...
Pioneers who would have to test the humanoid EA*RTH body on planet ARIES.
1 thinks the direct biological experience - exposure to MARS may bring forth different data then the bot systems or Lander - Rovers.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

I welcome that, considering the recent days.

edit on 12-11-2016 by Arnie123 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
After land is bio - geo surveyed laser cut crust then insert prefabricated ranch modules. Afterwards cover with debris. Keeping in mind no interplanetary relations are being disrupted...

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
You know, I've long pondered about using the MATS on Mars to assist and reinforce the delicate structures we bring. In my opinion, they would be built over whatever housing we bring, built with materials that shield us from radiation. The thick martian walls would simply supplement that.
It would give people plenty to do and people are pretty creative when it comes to building.
There is a lot of dirt on Mars, lets take some catepillers and go ham.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
This isn't a good design.

Building deeply underground would make seriously good sense, in terms of both radiation protection and to mitigate the temperature swings.

The deeper you go into the ground, the more stable the temperature is, regardless of what it is on the surface.

This ball shaped 'house' might be suitable for a kind of porch into the starwell that winds down into the proper house, or as a kind of emergency shelter while the UG house is being built, but IMO that's about it.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

It seems red light affect less low light conditions sight.

But it could also be mars red light district

Keep the Martian one, i'll stick to this one i found in Amsterdam .......... a lot prettier

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If there exists a Shadow govz, they would of already done such direct scientific studies supported with blaq aups and possible joint explorations with non human intelligences.

Compartmentalization -

If said explorations have occurred they could speed up private sector advancements if information was sharable.

But if data retrieved comes back as avoid or study from a distance, 1 can see why they would keep such data away from the masses including private sector. This is to prevent direct exposure in the immediate, giving them more time to evaluate the future.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join