It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silicon Valley Investors Call For California To Secede From the US After Trump Win

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy

Cant use the ocean.

Desalination Plant

Just saying

edit on 11/11/2016 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: LanceCorvette

I know right it is like they aren't even using their brains (not a surprise ofc), they think they can just leave the US like this is their mothers house or something and keep everything their mother payed for, what about all the infrastructure? all the government funded buildings/projects whatever else that was paid by government with taxes from everyone in the US probably? they think they are just going to keep all of that and leave? hahaha California will go bankrupt before they even begin the "exit".

what else can you expect from brainless smartphone zombies, "please sign and share make this happen" hahahaha I almost lose myself when I keep seeing that.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Meh, there was a movement here in the states to do such a thing, actually for a while now.
Won't happen. The way the article is written makes it sound like the whole states wants it, but I suspect only a few rich folks are trying to push the agenda.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The movement's growing at an alarming rate.

This just in from NBC:

YesCalifornia, which is pushing for California to secede and become a separate country, staged a daylong "informational session" Wednesday outside the State Capitol in Sacramento.

Discussion of the idea exploded Wednesday on Twitter, where tweets with the hashtag #calexit rolled in at hundreds per minute all day. Many — often paired with the hashtag #notmypresident, in reference to Donald Trump's election — backed the movement.

YesCalifornia, a political action committee formed in August 2015, is working for a referendum on the 2019 state ballot that would start the long path to legal secession.

"In our view, the United States of America represents so many things that conflict with Californian values, and our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment, and to the detriment of our children," the group says in a 33-page "CalExit Blue Book."

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LanceCorvette
Whenever people bring this up I try to point out how difficult it would actually be.

1. They'd need to create a currency;
2. They'd need a way to value that currency;
3. They'd need foreign countries to recognize that currency;
6. They'd need to create a whole new set of laws;

There are countries outside the US that use the US dollar as a major part of their economy. There is no need for a country to create their own currency. However, doing so isn't hard (we are talking about Silicon Valley here) especially with virtual currencies. Valuation is done on forex markets. The price of something is determined by what someone else is willing to exchange for it. The deeper the order book the more stable the currency. Also it looks like YesCalifornia wants to import the majority of the laws of the United States wholesale. They are just looking for independence from the rest of the states. Calexit has been gaining momentum since 2015. Don't underestimate what's happening.

edit on 11-11-2016 by ThingsThatDontMakeSense because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThingsThatDontMakeSense

originally posted by: Arnie123
Meh, there was a movement here in the states to do such a thing, actually for a while now.
Won't happen. The way the article is written makes it sound like the whole states wants it, but I suspect only a few rich folks are trying to push the agenda.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The movement's growing at an alarming rate.

This just in from NBC:

YesCalifornia, which is pushing for California to secede and become a separate country, staged a daylong "informational session" Wednesday outside the State Capitol in Sacramento.

Discussion of the idea exploded Wednesday on Twitter, where tweets with the hashtag #calexit rolled in at hundreds per minute all day. Many — often paired with the hashtag #notmypresident, in reference to Donald Trump's election — backed the movement.

YesCalifornia, a political action committee formed in August 2015, is working for a referendum on the 2019 state ballot that would start the long path to legal secession.

"In our view, the United States of America represents so many things that conflict with Californian values, and our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment, and to the detriment of our children," the group says in a 33-page "CalExit Blue Book."

www.nbcnews.com...

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you. It's not going to happen.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Calexit will have to deal with the state of Jefferson because we in the rural republician area of calif are going the break off from them and form the state of Jefferson.
www.soj51.net...

the best part is we control the power and water for the part of calif that wants to exit.
and we can charge a high tax on water and power to the part that leaves

edit on 11-11-2016 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I know. I got tired of Rick Perry joke/talk about Texas seceding. WTF I thought, this is the UNITED States. Riling up people with his talk. Bah.... such anti-Americanism coming out of Texas. And don't get me started on criminals....

actually, Perry himself was wrong. Texas can't just opt out. But, like some in Calif, some people take it pretty seriously Texas secede group Don't buy their bumper sticker!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Whenever people bring this up I try to point out how difficult it would actually be.

Also it looks like YesCalifornia wants to import the majority of the laws of the United States wholesale.

Then, uh, why bother?

Point made about the currency, but I don't think it would be that easy.

My point is, as someone else said, it's not like they can just say it and it happens; it's hard and difficult work running a country, let alone setting one up from scratch.

I would also point out that it will be unlikely that the United States would (a) recognize their sovereignty; (b) trade with them; (c) allow the free flow of goods and people back and forth.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Have North Korea annex California, then they won't need to worry anymore about their candidate winning, since their candidate always wins with 100% of the vote.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: Nyiah

Basically the only way out is revolution or being kicked out by the other states.

The Supreme Court has ruled succession is unconstitutional.

No, they ruled that Texas' attempt to secede based on state ordnance was null. The court did concede that revolution or the agreement of other states was still an option.

Of course, by the time a State's populace is ready to secede, I doubt they care much about the Constitution or the opinions of other States.
edit on 11-11-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment,

Well, hell now, they've got a point. Let's see, we become our own country, then the 49 states left in the United States come begging us for Foreign Aid. .... can't win for losing....

Oh, hell, trade wars with foreign countries....

How can a wine made in Georgia be labeled 'Napa Valley'?

Now see, these people don't think things through.... lot of that going around these days....

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I say they give California back to Mexico.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I would vote to allow California to concede, but only if they allow North Cali to split into its own State first.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

Do they honestly think the Fed Gov will continue to give them 400 billion dollars a year? What a bunch of buffoons they are.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: Nyiah

Basically the only way out is revolution or being kicked out by the other states.

The Supreme Court has ruled succession is unconstitutional.

Ah HAH!! thats the out for the Secession. SUpreme court rules it COnstitutional again like i t used to be. Before Lincoln illegally changed it after making sure he south could not object.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Actually, yes. You could probably school me on the subject as I'm not from the area and am not privy to the finer ins and outs of regional affairs. I'm not "pro-rancher" and my feelings won't be hurt, so break it down for me.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Also it looks like YesCalifornia wants to import the majority of the laws of the United States wholesale.

Then, uh, why bother?

I think the idea is to negotiate a better deal for the State of California and to have independence from Federal mandates.

Also, stating the obvious ... Trump.

Point made about the currency, but I don't think it would be that easy.

New virtual currencies popup every couple of days and get integrated into exchanges dependent on how popular they are. Paper money would be harder, but again they could just stick with using the US dollar since it's already in circulation.

My point is, as someone else said, it's not like they can just say it and it happens; it's hard and difficult work running a country, let alone setting one up from scratch.

Sure, and if they try to secede numerous counties in California will probably break off.

I would also point out that it will be unlikely that the United States would (a) recognize their sovereignty; (b) trade with them; (c) allow the free flow of goods and people back and forth.

All likely true. No country is formed without bloodshed.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
a reply to: digital01anarchy

Do they honestly think the Fed Gov will continue to give them 400 billion dollars a year? What a bunch of buffoons they are.

I mentioned in a different thread that the potential for them to have the US government by the short & curlies exists. Bases would be in a foreign country at that point, foreign land leases (rent, in other words) would be up for negotiation. A quick google search shows they're host to 10+ military bases. And there's no denying California is a strategic location on the Pacific rim.
Bargaining chip - check!

I could see them using that to their advantage if the US wishes to keep even a few bases in California. It could become a pretty plush agreement both in terms of money and resources flowing from the US. Probably wouldn't total anywhere as high as your amount, but it would be an advantageous steady income milking, just like the foreign countries that lap up theirs.
edit on 11/12/2016 by Nyiah because: 10+ bases, actually. Double-checked that # because it seemed off. I think I lumped in historical ones.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
I would vote to allow California to concede, but only if they allow North Cali to split into its own State first.

www.washingtonpost.com...

There are some of us that want to split calif and we have another name for the central california part and that is the state of franklin after Ben Franklin

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

I say they give California back to Mexico.

No, no, no. SELL it to Mexico. We did put a lot of $$ into infrastructure ya'know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join