It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada PM says ready to renegotiate NAFTA with Trump------Ready Mexico Here comes Trump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Trump has spurred Canada to take a step toward changing this really bad deal that was a Repud and Dem that made happen.

I hope the the US and Canada does exactly that. NAFTA is much better for Mexico than for the US. Better for the Multi Nationals corps than the US worker too.

Ottawa (AFP) - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday he is willing to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which US President-elect Donald Trump has said he wants to change or scrap.

During the campaign, Trump called NAFTA the worst trade deal the United States has ever signed, while proposing protectionist measures to repatriate American jobs lost to free trade.

"I think it's important that we be open to talking about trade deals," Trudeau -- a fierce defender of free trade, which helps bolster the Canadian economy -- told reporters.

"If the Americans want to talk about NAFTA, I'm more than happy to talk about it," he said, adding that it was important to periodically reassess trade deals to ensure that they continue to be of benefit to Canadians.

Trudeau called the president-elect on Wednesday to congratulate him on his election victory.

The 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) binds 530 million consumers in Canada, the United States and Mexico.

Bilateral trade crossing the US-Canadian border amounts to US$1.8 billion daily.

Thirty-four US states rely on trade with Canada, which supports nine million American jobs, while exports to the United States represents 20 percent of Canada's GD

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

To corporations moving operations out of the US, "free trade" means exploiting foreign slave labor, moving factories and therefore jobs out of the country. NAFTA and TPP are the same in that regard.

Free to exploit foreign countries and let die the workers at home.

Yah, scrap both. Bring jobs home, he already said that closing tax loopholes abroad would cost him a ton of money too. Because he manufacturers abroad and sells here, enjoying cheap profit and tax shelters overseas.

Lets see if he means it.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Obama attacked Hillary hard on NAFTA. Did nothing. It's time to deal with this busted fish tank.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Good! NAFTA does need to be reconsidered and possibly renegotiated -- if not repealed.

"I think it's important that we be open to talking about trade deals," Trudeau -- a fierce defender of free trade, which helps bolster the Canadian economy -- told reporters.

(bolding by me)

I gotta point out though that it's not really free trade when companies are forced by law to provide a certain standard of pay and conditions and benefits in one country... but not in another. Much less when a company can bring in foreigners for a lower standard of pay and benefits, to replace those workers that the govt requires must be provided the higher standard.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

To corporations moving operations out of the US, "free trade" means exploiting foreign slave labor, moving factories and therefore jobs out of the country. NAFTA and TPP are the same in that regard.

Free to exploit foreign countries and let die the workers at home.

Yah, scrap both. Bring jobs home, he already said that closing tax loopholes abroad would cost him a ton of money too. Because he manufacturers abroad and sells here, enjoying cheap profit and tax shelters overseas.

Lets see if he means it.

Yes, Yes Yes

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Good! NAFTA does need to be reconsidered and possibly renegotiated -- if not repealed.

(bolding by me)

I gotta point out though that it's not really free trade when companies are forced by law to provide a certain standard of pay and conditions and benefits in one country... but not in another. Much less when a company can bring in foreigners for a lower standard of pay and benefits, to replace those workers that the govt requires must be provided the higher standard.
a reply to: Boadicea

Nafta is about increasing corp profit.
The fact that there is little worker protection in Mexico, little environmental protection in Mexico, very little inspection and product safety in Mexico. I wonder why oh why the good'ol red white and blue Multi nationals would shoot down to Mexico faster than crap through a goose?

edit on 10-11-2016 by seasonal because: spelling

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Like he is ready to fight the establishment? With the establishment...
Gingrich, Giuliani, Priebus Eyed for Top Jobs in Trump White House: Sources

Like he deleted electoral promises from his website, right after he "won" the elections? Promises like stopping muslims from entering the USA, like stepping back from the Paris climate agreement. A list of potential judges he wanted to put in the Supreme Court, deleted from the page. Like details of his economic- and defense plans, gone.

The US citizens got fooled so hard by The Establishment(TM) with this POTUS election, they had no chance, they only could vote for a king of the caste of the rich!

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The enactment of NAFTA certainly led to some consequences, intentional and unintentional, in the years since.

It is interesting to consider this: "What would the world be like now, if NAFTA had never been passed?"

Hmm ... well, there would be more manufacturing in the United States, and less in Mexico. Would there be differences in illegal immigration from Mexico to the US -- like more of it, since there would be even fewer jobs in Mexico?

With more jobs and people still working in the rust belt, would Hillary Clinton have been elected president just now, instead of Donald Trump? When President Clinton helped to pass NAFTA, in hindsight, did he unwittingly prevent his wife from being the first woman president of the US?

Crazy stuff to consider

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

The enactment of NAFTA certainly led to some consequences, intentional and unintentional, in the years since.

It is interesting to consider this: "What would the world be like now, if NAFTA had never been passed?"

Hmm ... well, there would be more manufacturing in the United States, and less in Mexico. Would there be differences in illegal immigration from Mexico to the US -- like more of it, since there would be even fewer jobs in Mexico?

With more jobs and people still working in the rust belt, would Hillary Clinton have been elected president just now, instead of Donald Trump? When President Clinton helped to pass NAFTA, in hindsight, did he unwittingly prevent his wife from being the first woman president of the US?

Crazy stuff to consider

True, there is a butterfly effect to every decision made.
Over all I think we are in a better position that we were on Nov 7th.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I feel that way too.

Time for the pendulum to swing the other way for a bit, methinks!

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I feel that way too.

Time for the pendulum to swing the other way for a bit, methinks!

Got a question, how do we unring the bell. Just put the tariffs on and say there you go?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
NAFTA hasn't done Canada any favors either. For years now, they've had to beg the US auto companies to keep their plants in Ontario open.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

That is an interesting question.

Putting the pre-NAFTA tariffs into place all at once would cause significant dislocations in the markets, and would hurt real people on both sides of the borders.

The first shock would be losses for the shippers and manufacturers that have been without tariffs for so long. This would trickle down the supply train then, as the movement of goods across borders may slow or stop for a bit, leading to downstream shortages for the consumers in the US particularly.

This would all happen before new manufacturing sources could come online in the US, certainly, because that is a slower process.

There are some articles on the web about this, which I have read a little, but most of them talk about the legalities of repeal. Here is one that tries to consider some of the consequences:

money.cnn.com...

Unringing the bell hah ... well, there will be pain first, if that is done, before there can be gain later. I am betting if it can be done and is done, it will happen slowly, in a planned manner over time, and not all at once.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I apologize for not acknowledging Canada too ... sorry.

I should have said 'all sides of the borders' ... and also, I forgot to mention the sectors that would have job losses, like the manufacturing sector in Mexico, and cross border transportation sectors, etc..

It would be a big deal if NAFTA was repealed.

But ... it would be more equitable for all in the end result.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

It would be a big deal if NAFTA was repealed.

But ... it would be more equitable for all in the end result.

The people who work in those factories in Mexico are dirt poor, I mean d i r t poor. The $ is going to the top. As a country we shouldn't be using labor from third world countries with out then having the benefit of a min. wage.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Well he is going to have to work with both if he wants to get anything done.

Also I think some people forget how great NAFTA was for all the American companies that wanted it to pass so they could move their factories there. You know so they could outsource their labor and make more money.

Seems that part gets ignored in all of this.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well he is going to have to work with both if he wants to get anything done.

Also I think some people forget how great NAFTA was for all the American companies that wanted it to pass so they could move their factories there. You know so they could outsource their labor and make more money.

Seems that part gets ignored in all of this.

I just bought 4 new tires. Dunlop is made in Mexico- 114$ a tire- kelly US made 104$ a tire- Kumho 119$ Korean there was a list of 75$ and I have never heard of them. There is very little advantage to buy these foreign product if there is a US made sub.
NAFTA is all about making the corps $$$$$. That is it, do you think the CEO wants to live in that part of the world, hell no. Those people making the Dunlop tire are POOOOOR. And the CEO is a genius for moving the plant to Mexico. I will do my bet to buy US made stuff. I avoid China and MExico when I can.

top topics

join