It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio goes down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
thinkprogress.org...

Sheriff Joe Arpaio goes down

PHOENIX, ARIZONA — A scream rose from the crowd gathered at Grant Park on the south side of Phoenix when the Associated Press announced that Joe Arpaio’s 23-year tenure as Maricopa County Sheriff had come to an end.

There were hugs, high-fives, and chants of “Si se puede, si se pudo” — “Yes we can, yes we did.”

“It’s going to be a new day for Arizona,” 30-year-old realtor Dulce Matuz told ThinkProgress. “We’re not just going to be known as the state that passed anti-immigrant laws. We’re going to be the state that voted against hate and xenophobia. We can finally move on and be a state that celebrates diversity.”

Given that today is arguably the biggest day in US history, I am not surprised this has flown under the radar. It's about bloody time Arpaio was shown the door. At least there is SOME silver lining to the events of the last 24 hours.

Arpaio ran for another term in office despite the federal charges looming over him. In December, he will stand trial for criminal contempt because he allegedly violated a judge’s order to stop illegally racially profiling Latinos. He also faces possible charges for obstruction of justice and perjury. If convicted, he could face up to six months in jail.

Arpaio, who Matuz called “our mini Donald Trump,” was unseated Tuesday by Democrat Paul Penzone. This past weekend, Penzone stopped by the local offices of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union to thank the dozens of high school activists who mobilized for months to register and turn out voters of color against Arpaio.

“I’ll never be able to repay you, other than by doing the job the right way so that your families are safe and you are respected,” Penzone told them. “This will be about how you hold me accountable, how you work with me, and how we fight together to ensure that everyone — no matter your ethnicity, your race, where you come from or what you believe in — when someone in law enforcement interacts with you, they’re respectful, professional, and just.”

Matuz assured ThinkProgress that she and other members of the Bazta Arpaio movement will have no qualms about protesting against Penzone should he fall short in these promises like other Democrats before him.

“For us, it’s not about Democrats or Republicans,” she said. “Republicans have done a really good job alienating Latinos, but the Democratic Party doesn’t have a strong backbone and doesn’t protect our communities.”

“We’ve had millions of deportations under a Democrat,” she added, referring to President Obama. “But regardless of the results, we’ve already won, because we are no longer in fear. We have mobilized. We’ve empowered ourselves. For me, that’s already victory.”

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Trump will put him on his staff. He actually will get a big promotion. Maybe sheriff of the wall buillders city.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Trump will put him on his staff. He actually will get a big promotion. Maybe sheriff of the wall buillders city.

head of the FBI.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Sad day for law, order, and peace, in Maricopa.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Joe may have been somewhat racist, but He did do some good's in His years there...
I think Your Avatar is Awesome BTW!!

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Great... Now Joe, who only cared about Joe, is replaced with an establishment lapdog.

This is NOT a win. Penzone works for George Soros...

Soro s Backed

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Good riddance. He should have been locked away years ago. Instead he just cost the citizens of Maricopa County millions of dollars. Here's hoping he'll actually have to pay out of his own pocket when he's found guilty in December.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Sheriff Joe will be on Trump's Cabinet - Looking forward to Law & Order.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak

I think Your Avatar is Awesome BTW!!

Thanks

I actually put a lot of thought into my avatars. My previous one was a hit too.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

head of the FBI.

Well, they could certainly do with a new one.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Good riddance. He should have been locked away years ago. Instead he just cost the citizens of Maricopa County millions of dollars. Here's hoping he'll actually have to pay out of his own pocket when he's found guilty in December.

Lets hope Trump doesn't somehow get his charges dropped and elevate him to the White House or something. This man needs to pay for his crimes.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Lets hope Trump doesn't somehow get his charges dropped and elevate him to the White House or something. This man needs to pay for his crimes.

What crimes? Enforcing the laws the federal government should have been doing? Head of the FBI sounds good or Attorney General Arpaio sounds good too.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is all pretty strange to hear,because Joe Arpaio wasn't a Trump supporter,I doubt we will hear from him anymore,Obama is gone,the charges will be dropped

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Really? I kinda thought he was a Trump supporter. Admittedly I didn't really care enough about it to check that, I think I just automatically assumed he was.

To be honest if he faded into obscurity that would be enough. I do think the man is a monster, but at least he's gone now.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
This is all pretty strange to hear,because Joe Arpaio wasn't a Trump supporter,I doubt we will hear from him anymore,Obama is gone,the charges will be dropped
Wrong, Arpio is a big Trump supporter and has opened rallies for Trump here in Arizona.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Wait you guys were all about rooting out corruption in the government and now you are talking about placing someone who is looking at federal contempt of court charges as well as some corruption related charges like perjury into the government? Wow...

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I'm gonna miss him he was a good man. I'm sure whoever they elect next will completely screw up border security, until Trump's staff gets a hold of him or her.
edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum because: Edited for editing.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This thread is so full of hypocrites.

Most pro Joe Arpaio memebers here are the first to bitch and whine when Obama breaks the the constitrution

But when Joe Arpaio does breaks the 4th and 5th Amendments it is ok? And yes the Bill of rights does have more than 2 amendendments.

I guess it is a case of breaking the constitution is ok if it is your "man".
edit on 9-11-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Since Arpaio is facing federal charges, President Trump can grant him a full pardon if he wants him on his staff.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Didn't realize that Joe had influence in Australia.

Isn't that the place that said no to gay unions?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join