It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dialect of a dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Not sure if this should be in this section, feel free to move it.

If a dog from, lets say Japan, were to meet a dog from, lets say, England, could they hold a conversation using the the medium of bark.

What about Dolphins? or maybe not, as I believe they use sonar, which is believed to create imagery of some sort.

OK birds of a feather, would they tweet and still understand each others song?

Am I making sense?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well, I guess no one here understands my dialect.

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Koka]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You got a good question there mate, but to be honest, I seriously dont know, someone will probably be able to ''enlighten'' us though.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Dogs can only understand that a bark means either "Get out of my way!" or "Lets fight!" at least thats how I understand it.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I have hispanic friends and the dog they have is very sweet but only answers to Spanish spoken commands. So this dog 'speaks' spanish I guess, but it gets alonf famously with the English speaking dogs of the neigborhood...so Im thinking dogs comunicate on a levell all theyre own.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Since im studying bioology at the university, and have just read a book on evolution and animal behavior, ill try to give my views on the subject.

Originally posted by Koka
If a dog from, lets say Japan, were to meet a dog from, lets say, England, could they hold a conversation using the the medium of bark.ü

I guess they could'nt. In some way I would expect dogs to evolve different dialects which over time would turn into different 'dog languages'. On the other hand, I dont know how 'mature'/evolved/developed the dogs vocal chord is, when compared to humans.. Maybe they arent able to develop a dialect of some sort since their vocal chord cant make such different sounds?

What about Dolphins? or maybe not, as I believe they use sonar, which is believed to create imagery of some sort.

Dolphins use sonar to navigate, not primary communication. They make high pitched sounds for this.
Think of bats, they also use sonar for navigation, but sounds for communication.

I would expect them to be able to detect another dolphins soundwaves though, but not get any other information than 'theres a dolphin'.

OK birds of a feather, would they tweet and still understand each others song?

Yes, birds do understand each other of the same species. They are born with a basic crude knowledge of how their species song is, but perfectionize it by listening to others of the same species' song.

But if you mean understand each other between kontinents, I have same opinions as with the dogs.

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I have hispanic friends and the dog they have is very sweet but only answers to Spanish spoken commands. So this dog 'speaks' spanish I guess, but it gets alonf famously with the English speaking dogs of the neigborhood...so Im thinking dogs comunicate on a levell all theyre own.

I would expect that to be because the dog has learned that 'casa' means 'house' and so on, not that it 'speaks' spanish. You yourself confirm this by saying it gets along just fine with english dogs. This again both contradicts but also confirms my initial opinions. (See top of this post)

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
LMAO thats funny, does a japanese dog say flow wow, ha ha velly flunny!

Apparently animals have accents though

www.animalsentience.com...
www.unknowncountry.com...
www.mdx.ac.uk...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies people, but as yet have not really got an answer.

Regional dialects maybe a possibility but I think its hard to confirm without knowing the language to begin with.

Understanding the language of its owner is a learning process most pets go through, and obviously the animal reponds to those sounds/words it has learnt, but as for its own language....?

I assume experiments have to have taken place but have yet to find that particular info.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
BAD DOGGIE... BAD DOGGIE

You'ved messed on the floor again and Im going to have to put your NOSE IN IT!

I've only heard dogs bark!! Some say they can smell the pharamones people in FEAR put out!!

I guess we'll have to ask a dog?!

Here PRINCie PRINCie!!!

top topics

join