It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 years of Clinton, 30 years skyrocketing debt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Kinda wonder why people would vote for a politician who has overseen 30 years of sky rocketing debt
Seems the longer she has been in, the higher she climbs the worse the debt gets

Anyway, it's always a persons opinion th vote as they see fit
I kinda understand why people don't like Trump

But why complain about debt and those issues and place someone in to power who has overseen it for 30 years

30 years of the same old same old, why go around again with that same old?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I heard that Barack Obama has increased our debt to China and other nations, more than ALL previous Presidents COMBINED. Is that true? If so, voters need to stop this, for the good of our children and their children!

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

(Facepalm) Republicans controlled both chambers of Congress for 6 of the 8 years Clinton was President; 6 of the 8 years Bush was President; and have split power with Democrats during Obama's administration. But of course it's simple the Clinton family's fault.

Congress are the ones who actually pass the budgets, so why aren't they getting the blame for this? Or are we supposed to forget how many times Republicans constantly cut taxes and slash other sources of federal revenue, which directly leads to an increase in the deficit? Republican administrations LOVE federal deficits, which you can see for yourself if you look at Reagan and the first Bush's deficits.

And ironically, the last 2 years of Pres Bill Clinton's administration saw a budget surplus. But guess what ended that? You guessed it, the Dubya Bush tax cuts and the massive "War on Terror" defense spending obliterated those surpluses and replaced them with federal deficits. And something like 82% of the Bush tax cuts were made permanent, which has kept the deficits in place.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Im afraid the issue of debt is far more complex than that. This bloke explains why all countries are in debt and why it will get worse it about it. This bloke explains it about as good as can be done.

Link

cheers

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Its a perpetual cycle, inherit the dept and spend more.

No one wants a government that will tighten the belt! They wont last 1 term!

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Nixon opened the door to China, mismanaged Iran, and took us off gold without a commodity based dollar, Carter deregulated industry causing disasters and the beginning of the S and L crisis, Reagan made the S and L crisis 10x worse and tanked the economy, Bush 2 grew government like his hero was fdr.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

And yet old Bill still added 1.396 trillion in debt. www.thebalance.com...

In case you were wondering. None of them are innocent when it comes to the debt. That is why we need to drain the swamp. Get a good third party candidate in that knows how to spend a dollar. The dems and reps don't have a clue.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

If we're going to blame presidents, while also paying attention to raw debt numbers, rather than something sensible like Debt:GDP, then yes, Obama added more to the debt than all presidents combined (116% increase).

George W Bush added nearly as much as all past presidents combined, and Ronald Reagan added nearly 1.5x as much as all past presidents combined.

It's a nonsensical way of looking at it though, as it completely ignores GDP growth. It's kind of like saying I paid 30x as much for my house than my grandparents did. Yes, I did, but my income at the time of purchase was 50x higher.

ETA: Debt:GDP is currently around the same rate it was around 2000 and 1955. It's been higher, its been lower. It's certainly not critical by any stretch, and it's definitely not the work of Her Royal Evilness, Hillary Rod-Ham Clinton.

edit on 11/6/2016 by dogstar23 because: Added more

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It seems the establishment, the same old same old have
been doing nothing to stop debt, either party

Time to cut the deadwood out, to change what is broken and has been for a long time

The issue is the same crap politicians either party, who have done nothing for decades

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

The debt is kind of irrelevant. At least you can solace the people who are holding the debt are probably not ever going to get it back.

It's important to have some math literacy around the debt. The debt as a percentage of GDP is useful relative measure but even that isn't that meaningful. Besides, I'm not sure the way the Federal Reserve fiat money system works where money is created with interest payments that our country will ever be out of debt. The money system is designed so we will always be in debt.

Why is debt important? It's not. What is important is the top 1% keep getting an ever increasing share of the total wealth. Wealth inequality is at all time highs in this country. So having debt is good. The top 1% is crushing the middle class deeper into poverty wages. What more could you want?

Unless, you are some kind of communist and you think wealth inequality is bad. In that case, debt doesn't matter either. Middle class wages are not only affected by federal taxes but also the cost of living. So if raising the middle class out of poverty wages in important to you then the debt really doesn't matter either.

On personal level, it doesn't matter what you pay taxes. What does matter is the purchasing power of your take home pay after taxes. If the cartels and monopolies are charging so much at the company store then then middle class will continue to be driven deeper and deeper into poverty wages. You can't talk about taxes without talking about the cost of living. Math literacy is very important in these equations. You can't just talk about one term in the equation and say anything meaningful.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think skyrocketing debt is important or even matters? How do you think it affects your life? Because I bet when you look at your reasons more closely it has nothing to do with excessive government spending.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

If we're going to blame presidents, while also paying attention to raw debt numbers, rather than something sensible like Debt:GDP, then yes, Obama added more to the debt than all presidents combined (116% increase).

George W Bush added nearly as much as all past presidents combined, and Ronald Reagan added nearly 1.5x as much as all past presidents combined.

It's a nonsensical way of looking at it though, as it completely ignores GDP growth. It's kind of like saying I paid 30x as much for my house than my grandparents did. Yes, I did, but my income at the time of purchase was 50x higher.

ETA: Debt:GDP is currently around the same rate it was around 2000 and 1955. It's been higher, its been lower. It's certainly not critical by any stretch, and it's definitely not the work of Her Royal Evilness, Hillary Rod-Ham Clinton.

I love this post. Math illiteracy in this country is truly stunning.

People like to be spitting mad for no reason. It's really weird. It's like they just want to blame "liberals", "immigrants", or whoever but they never really say what they really want. If they did say what they really wanted, then maybe it's not the "liberals", "immigrants" or whoever preventing them from having it. The politics of this country are insane. I think people just want to riot and hurt people. This country is a powder keg. Why people even care about national debt is just example of the insanity.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Kinda wonder why people would vote for a politician who has overseen 30 years of sky rocketing debt
Seems the longer she has been in, the higher she climbs the worse the debt gets

Anyway, it's always a persons opinion th vote as they see fit
I kinda understand why people don't like Trump

But why complain about debt and those issues and place someone in to power who has overseen it for 30 years

30 years of the same old same old, why go around again with that same old?

You seriously, seriously don't wonder why there is a phrase called Reagonomics? It's not meant in a flattering way, it's when the US economy effectively decided to go down.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

In case you were wondering. None of them are innocent when it comes to the debt. That is why we need to drain the swamp. Get a good third party candidate in that knows how to spend a dollar. The dems and reps don't have a clue.

But the OP's blaming the Clintons for 30 years of federal deficits, even though Bill's the only President in that time frame who ran a budget surplus. Although like I'd mentioned earlier, Congress passes the spending bills and budgets, not the president. So he technically shouldn't get the credit for the surplus, either.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Sounds like a content parasite
You are using other people's money to live your opulent lifestyle

I hope that when the correction comes the people who have trod others down to take what they havnt earned have to recompense

Spending other people's money and asking why it matters, greed is good

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

But the OP's blaming the Clintons for 30 years of federal deficits, even though Bill's the only President in that time frame who ran a budget surplus. Although like I'd mentioned earlier, Congress passes the spending bills and budgets, not the president. So he technically shouldn't get the credit for the surplus, either.

Triple facepalm there boy
I am not blaming the clintons
I am blaming 30 years of corruption and stupid greedy politicians who have become a machine that is constantly broken

You have Clinton on the brain.
30 years of politicians doing the same crap, not just clintons greed, crimes and stupidity
30 years of broken politicians carrying out a broken system

Time for new ideas, vote for a minor party, vote different

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

And yet old Bill still added 1.396 trillion in debt.

Less than the previous bush and like 4x less than jr. bush...

There's also a 84.7% cumulative inflation rating from 1990...

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Said better than I did. I like to point to debt:GDP, because i hope that in its simplicity possibly some will begin to understand the silliness of considering debt alone. At the risk of sounding like we're scratching each other's backs, great post yourself!

I believe a lot of people understand this, but have become frustrated by people refusing to see the obvious.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
#edited to be nice
edit on 6-11-2016 by MrThortan because: fail post

new topics

top topics

join