It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's First Wave Power Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I wonder who will be the first to build a wave power station that works. The chinese claim they will build one in 2005. I know the norwegians are in process of making one also and they have worked on it for years. Are there any other countries making one? I hope the norwegians will be first (I´m norwegian). This is a very interesting power source and whenever they make one that works, it will be a revolutionary invention.

Link to the chinese claim:
Xinhuanet: China to build world's first wave power station

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Its about time, why hasn't this been done before? Now check these out.. very interesting theories being put forward here. The moon is useful for more things then we realize and I hope I live to see this happend (probably not).

www.spacer.com...

www.space.com...

www.chron.com...

It's amazing what's being thought up these days...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
There has been a test facility in Denmark for some time now. You can read more about it and see pictures/videos here: www.wavedragon.net...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
We've alreadly bet them to it! The first commercial-scale wave generator in the world has been running on the coast of Islay in Scotland since 2000. It's maybe not on the scale the Chinese are talking about but it works.

www.wavegen.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Too bad the danish one was damaged in the storm January 8th...

This is an interesting project norwegians are involved in:

Ocean Power Delivery Ltd has developed a novel offshore wave energy converter called Pelamis. Building on technology developed for the offshore industry, the Pelamis has a similar output to a modern wind turbine. The first full-scale pre-production prototype has been built and is being tested at the European Marine Energy Centre in Orkney.

It is anticipated that future `wave farm' projects would consist of an arrangement of interlinked multi-machines connected to shore by a single subsea cable. A typical 30MW installation would occupy a square kilometre of ocean and provide sufficient electricity for 20,000 homes. Twenty of these farms could power a city such as Edinburgh.

edit:
There is a detailed thread about the Pelamis project here:
World's First Commercial Wave Farm - Pelamis

[edit on 2006/4/30 by Hellmutt]

top topics

join