It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Latest Blow To US, Malaysia Will Buy Navy Vessels From China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
In the old days it was called the Domino effect where one country would lean or fall into a certain sphere of influence and others would follow. SO...We had the Philippines basically saying Yankee go home during the first of October and declaring its' divorce from the USA's foreign policies.... Now it is said Malaysia will start buying their coastal patrol boats from ..... wait for it.... CHINA !!!!! ... Which would be funny if not for the loss of American jobs and influence in the area.. I have posted more than one thread at ATS on how these last few years of our state department shenanigans and inept dealings with foreign nations and governments has turned into a basket of worms not suitable for fishing... So another one seems to want to cut the ties... Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand are already more in the China camp than the USA's. That leaves Vietnam which is still in the USA's camp due to a past history of conflict with China more than anything else IMO..

Having largely lost long-time ally Philippines as an anchor to US foreign policy in the Pacific rim, a loss which comes at a critical time for the US just as China is aggressively expanding its territorial ambitions in the South China Sea, Washington is set to lose another key ally, and a critical one at that: as Reuters reports, in a "blow to the US", Malaysia's corrupt Prime Minister Najib Razak, whose involvement in the 1MBD scandal has been extensively reported by the WSJ for over a year now, will sign a contract to purchase Littoral Mission Ships from China when he visits Beijing next week, according to a Facebook posting by the country's Ministry of Defense.

Confirming the strategic rationale behind the move, Lam Choong Wah added that "the truth is we could have bought these from a number of countries. But China is the only country that has provided political support for Malaysia during the 1MDB scandal. This is payback for that political support."

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
It's one thing buying chappy plastic things of the Chinese but warships.. Lol.. Lucky Malaysia patrol close to their border, wouldn't fancy taking one of those out into the deep ocean..

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I tend to agree with Misterlondon...

The Chinese probably created plastic warships to save on costs. Their warships probably don't shoot anything but fake bullets made of cheap plastics and should America actually buy their crap, they would lose the next war hands down.

Not Worth It.
edit on 30-10-2016 by Encryptor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

It's one thing buying chappy plastic things of the Chinese but warships.. Lol.. Lucky Malaysia patrol close to their border, wouldn't fancy taking one of those out into the deep ocean..

Hmmm I remember hearing this argument about Japanese cars, then Korean, now they have taken over the Australian market (no more Aussie made cars)

Giving them the opportunity, maybe 1 or 2 batches of rubbish warships but it wont them long to refine the trade.

Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand are already more in the China camp than the USA's. That leaves Vietnam which is still in the USA's camp due to a past history of conflict with China more than anything else IMO..

This is a good thing, they have alot more in common with each other than the west, plus it will help stabilise the region, with the USA influence the area was a powder keg (South China sea).

LET ASIA LOOK AFTER ASIA

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The Chinese have taken so many US jobs it's unbelievable, exporting steel to the world, secondary industry like no other in the world.
Yet we still hear those in the US saying they do things better, well the US doesn't do things better anymore, they just don't get the jobs, opportunity anymore
Stop parroting the party line of "we the US are better" and start asking yourselves " why arnt we relevant anymore"

China, better product or worse has taken and will take your jobs and leave you floundering, time to stop the " we are better than you" crap and wake up to the fact you are not relevant

30 years of crap governments and this is what you get, big talk and no action

Me, I would happily buy some Chinese made products over US products, I have seen some of the foreign owned factories, better than there western counterparts
China has awoken and the US are living of past glories, it's to late when the "we are better than you attitude" isn't relevant to the customer

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
From the viewpoint of the countries close to China, being friendly with China makes good sense. Preferable to being threatened. It might well take the heat out of the situation in the South China sea, which they could settle amongst themselves if China allowed the others some of the crumbs.
This is likely to become the geopolitical trend in the area.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
The Chinese have taken so many US jobs it's unbelievable, exporting steel to the world, secondary industry like no other in the world.
Yet we still hear those in the US saying they do things better, well the US doesn't do things better anymore, they just don't get the jobs, opportunity anymore
Stop parroting the party line of "we the US are better" and start asking yourselves " why arnt we relevant anymore"

China, better product or worse has taken and will take your jobs and leave you floundering, time to stop the " we are better than you" crap and wake up to the fact you are not relevant

30 years of crap governments and this is what you get, big talk and no action

Me, I would happily buy some Chinese made products over US products, I have seen some of the foreign owned factories, better than there western counterparts
China has awoken and the US are living of past glories, it's to late when the "we are better than you attitude" isn't relevant to the customer

where do you think their technology came from? China ahahhahaha no no no awww drying my eyes.
Our tech has been suppressed for awhile now due to oil corporations getting in the way and pushing gas hogs. American companies have been towing a line for like 20 or 30 years and suppressing what they found. The same with tech and the same with other industries because they want to maximize the amount of money they can make by progressing at stages. If we started building factories and making our own stuff the suppression would stop. Wonder why? Because china and other foriegn countries couldn't steal the plans and just make it them selves they would have to reverse engineer it. I'm not saying that in all industries we would dominate but if it was done all at once it would crush chinas economy.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It's a fool's move to underestimate another state's military based solely on the propaganda from your own state.
A bigger fool is those that parrot that propaganda.

China's military has always 'looked' weak.. that's an integral part of their art, and they have been waging wars far longer than the U.S.A. and successfully.. just not in recent times, and that's lulled everyone into thinking they are not to be taken seriously.. when in fact that's the worst chess move you can play with China.

But hey.. i studied past conflicts and understand warfare.. so carry on with your chest beating, while us smart folks watch the supply lines get reinforced while you shout your slogans at each other.

It changes little, what we think, anyway. No one person here could stop anything if it started.. wich is why it's rather painful to watch some of you fight a war (propaganda) that honestly doesn't exist.. it's only purpose is to keep you pacified while the real crooks benefit from war and hate.. by the time you all work that out though.. most of us will be ashes.
edit on 30-10-2016 by Xarian6 because: .

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

The US was never in competition for the naval contract. A US company all ready has a contract to sell them patrol boats.so does the French and Japan just completed delivery of 12 new ones as well. the Philippines wants to buy 100 total. 27 which can patrol there interests further out to sea and 73 for shore patrol. Of course they are going to get those 73 from China there cheaper than the French US and Russia. This article is nothing more than a propaganda piece since the countries they were considering didn't include the US for these ships. the competition was between Russia and China for these crafts. But truth be told China was the only choice they were the cheapest. And the Philippine Navy doesn't get a lot of money. Its so bad the US and south Korea have actually donated ships to them just so they have some craft that can patrol the south China sea. This is also the reason they didn't want China to build those craft that had the capability to enter that area. Since frankly they would likely come up against Chinese patrol boats.

The Philippines claims they want these to catch poachers but truth is its to protect there territorial waters including in the disputed area. If zero hedge thinks China is going to make friends in that area they need to stop making claims on other nations territory. What other country could get Vietnam and Japan to work together in a defense pact.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Absurd notion that China cannot supply quality, the issues with the regular joe customers is they want the world yet only want to pay a tuppence, yet China in many industry's can and often does pull off working items for a unrealistic low price.

Imagine what can be done with a Governments Military budget, The Philippines situation has indeed caused a domino effect as noe the U.S. has lost its biggest aircraft carrier in the region.. It seems more and more countries may be motioning to the fact that the US is finished from economics to social issues to any future world conflict. China and the East seem to have more pulling power than the once mighty US of A..

RA
edit on 30-10-2016 by slider1982 because: Sp

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

Irrespective
China has taken your jobs and is taking more
Your government has let you down and your economy is collapsing

China are winning the economic war, they are doing the work and you are offering more excuses, more vague explanations, more of anything but what's in front of your eyes

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encryptor

I tend to agree with Misterlondon...

The Chinese probably created plastic warships to save on costs. Their warships probably don't shoot anything but fake bullets made of cheap plastics and should America actually buy their crap, they would lose the next war hands down.

Not Worth It.

Not sure I agree with that statement, the Chinese are known to copy and refine.
From a common export perspective they copied basic goods and refined it to sell more and spend less ( that's good business practice ) It's our own damn fault we keep buying it to save a buck.

claiming the same goes for the military research/development... I don't think so.
Again, they copy and refine

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Belgianbeer

Incorrect. They copy ONLY. If refining was part of it, we would see quality parts. As of now, we do not.
Infact, recently Amazon was fined for allowing tons of cheap chinese knockoffs onto their site and claiming authetic.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xarian6

Oh? Studied past conflicts? So your an expert? No.

China is an old civilization, looking for lost glory. It won't happen and only two nations have been stiring the pot. Japan on the other hand is the solution to the south china sea, along with S.korea and Austrailia, you're a fool to think that china will ever get the south china sea.
Plus. Their isn't any art you speak of, metaphorically or not, the chinese are weak, no current wartime experience, no navy.
As always, there is always going to be a communist chinese symptathizer who believes the world would be in better hands, you folks bragged about that sinced I first joined and what has happened? Nothing.
Infact, when trump wins, say goodbye to all the current trade deals, they will be re worked. Recently China tried to acquire a tech firm from Europe, germany said, NOPE. China can't compete with US and Germany tech industry, so its goal is to buy them all up, however the same can't be reciprocated. The US and Europe are waking up, finally, to this revelation. With the current slowing of their economy and Xi fighting corruption, your faith in your chinese saviours is waning.
Good try though.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: Belgianbeer

Incorrect. They copy ONLY. If refining was part of it, we would see quality parts. As of now, we do not.
Infact, recently Amazon was fined for allowing tons of cheap chinese knockoffs onto their site and claiming authetic.

Yes China know how to knock off expensive items and sell them cheap, that doesn't mean they don't know how to make quality
It's unbelievable that you think you are so superior, that attitude will cost you dearly

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

No no no, you got it all wrong. I believe in HUMANITY, therefore it would be stupid to think the chinese are not capable of crafting some high quality items. All nations and cultures can, our history is an example.
But to sit there and say, they copy and refine, no they don't. There is a reason we buy cheap, to save a few bucks, it breaks, meh I'll buy another one. Thats akin to driving all the way across town for gas TWO cents cheaper. If anything, they refined the ability to craft parts cheaply, sure, but thats assumed and an afterthought. What business doesnt? You just come off as all things china touches are "REFINED BEYOND GLORY PRAISE BE THESE ITEMS" attitude.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: Raggedyman

No no no, you got it all wrong. I believe in HUMANITY, therefore it would be stupid to think the chinese are not capable of crafting some high quality items. All nations and cultures can, our history is an example.
But to sit there and say, they copy and refine, no they don't. There is a reason we buy cheap, to save a few bucks, it breaks, meh I'll buy another one. Thats akin to driving all the way across town for gas TWO cents cheaper. If anything, they refined the ability to craft parts cheaply, sure, but thats assumed and an afterthought. What business doesnt? You just come off as all things china touches are "REFINED BEYOND GLORY PRAISE BE THESE ITEMS" attitude.

My issue was with the "we are superior attitude" I am hearing from a few posters
You as a nation were, maybe still are, but losing ground very quickly
I don't think it's a good thing to live on past glory
I think it's time the people recognized there are issues and changed policies that are not serving the people
How? I don't know

China making plastic boats, China are now making war ships for Malaysia. That means China have got their act together and offered more for less than any other country has offered, including the US and Europe
Things are changing and the arrogance from many in the US needs to stop and be replaced by an attitude a little more serious
Your government is self serving and you are losing industry, that should cause serious concern

Anyway, yes they copy with cheap parts, they do refine as well, but not the way I made it sound, they change some designs, make them different
I have an iPhone, I prefer the Chinese made iPhone charger, it's thicker and longer and cheaper, better (refined) probably not

new topics

top topics

join