It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Fermi 2 Nuclear Plant in MI on Alert Status after Leak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This is a breaking story and few details are available. The Fermi II plant has been shut down to investigate a radioactive coolant leak within the containment area. Coolant was escaping at the rate of 50-75 gallons per minute. There are no reports of a radiation release as of yet and officials do not believe there will be a significant danger posed by the leak. The plant has gone to Alert status, indicating they expect some damage occurred but that there was no radiation danger.

www.detnow.com
State and county safety officials were called to the Fermi II nuclear plant in Monroe early Monday evening to investigate a coolant leak situation.

Michigan, Wayne and Monroe County authorities responded to what they called a "situation" within the plant around 6:00 p.m.

Minutes later, DTE officials confirmed that there were indications that there had been a leak of reactor coolant into the containment area. There were no evacuations at the plant, and there were no signs of any release of radiation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The shutdown occured at around 6 PM local time. No evacuations were required.

The cause is still under investigation.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Monroe County emergency teams report there is a small leak inside the Fermi II plant Monday afternoon.

The leak reportedly involves a coolant fluid that keeps the reactors cool.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says there is no immediate threat to the public.

The plant has been shut down, but there are no evacuations.
Leak

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I'm familiar with the CANDU system, where the coolant is heavy water.
The coolant is used in the transfer of heat to light water to make the steam. Leaks can happen in a variety of ways, and I've been involved in many over the 30 years I've worked with nuclear power, but it really is not the life threatening situation one would assume.
Fermi 2 is a different system than the one I know...what type do they have?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The situation is in other news no?

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Infact that thread started at 11ish. There was a rumour that the plant was evacuated, but it wasn't.

www.freep.com...
The reactor at the Fermi 2 nuclear power plant was shut down Monday evening after a coolant leak was detected, officials said. [...] the Monroe County plant was not evacuated and the leak posed no danger to the health or safety of plant workers or the public. [...] the plant was shut down without complications and nonessential workers were allowed to leave for the day.[...]
She added that the leaked coolant, which is mostly water, was not released into the environment.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just to make live easier, I'll make the other topic a link.
Make live a little nicer for the folks at ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well, it appears that once again, we have FredT copping other member's topics for ATSNN topics.

WTF...right?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I would have submitted it, but couldnt find a story yet. By the time my backgammon tourney was done, it was too late. lol

new topics

top topics

join