It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A.I leaders?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
As human political leaders have not done very good jobs running the world in some way or another in our history. Do you think it would be a good idea for A.I computerized leaders to rule and run our world? Is that what MicroSoft is trying to build, an A.I system that rules the world? Would we have a better run world under an A.I leader system? Would you trust and liked to be run under an A.I leader?

What are your thoughts on this?

Ps. A.I stands for Artificial intelligence (if you don't know)

[edit on 24-1-2005 by Coolbreeze]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You played all of DeusEx's endings by any chance?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust a machine especially if Microsoft had anything to do with it

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust anything without emotions.And what if he wakes up one morning and decides that us humans are just too dumb so he's gonna replace us with other A.Is like himself.Afterall, every creature fights for the continuance of it species.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nibiru
I wouldn't trust a machine especially if Microsoft had anything to do with it

Ha ha yeah I don't blame ya. What about Sony? They seem to be good at the A.I robot thing would ya trust them?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Why would we put something on AI ??? That is like someone putting something really really interesting on the internet. Even the governments know that the internet is not safe. Why do you think that they kept the access to internet to only government use for so long. That is what mainly the internet was used for if anything else I am not sure what it would have been. But now the internet is completely, rediculous. Anyone can do anything, that they want whether it is making a web page or looking something up, it is completely useless for DISERNING INFORMATION from places like this. How do you know what information is good for what ? Unfortunately our brains take in every bit of information that is recieves.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Coolbreeze
Ha ha yeah I don't blame ya. What about Sony? They seem to be good at the A.I robot thing would ya trust them?

If Sony produced AI that run the country then what would happen every christmas when they run out of stock like the PS2?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
In 50 years time the biggest legal issue on the planet will be protecting the rights of machines.

In less than 100 years time there will be little on which to differentiate a "mosh" (bag of skin and bones) from a cyberentity for the purposes of assessing what it is that needs to be led and by whom.

Of course there will be machines in positions of leadership. There already are today. The Bush-Bin Laden-Diebold franchise is on a growth curve.

Also, refer the Kree's Supreme Intelligence, best portrayed in Captain Marvel (Marvel not DC), for conceptual drawings.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Many here have seen the movie I-Robot. A.I. may take a similar stance on protecting the human species. Short term would really suck, long term may not. But would you want to be one of the lotto drawings or have you name chosen because of health to be eliminated becasue of over population? If anyone stands a chance at creating A.I. I think it would definately be Microsoft. Not a world I would want to live in. Humans need the final say so no matter what. A.I would have an advantage of calculting millions of scenarios where we, or a think tank, would postulate only several hundred or so. We would be on the loosing end no matter how you look at it.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwscc
If anyone stands a chance at creating A.I. I think it would definately be Microsoft.

What are you talking about?

A.I. exists in every field of human endeavor in every technologically advanced country.

Microsoft has not created that. Microsoft sells consumer and business oriented packages and tools that periodically add new bells and whistles as sales gimmicks.

Anyway the topic may benefit from a broader definition of A.I. - it doesn't have to be about humanoid robots in adaptations of Asimov books.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
As long as there are programs to keep it from wiping out cat-kind all I can say is, Vote 011100011001011000101 for president.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Please google the word 'Luddism' then hand me a crash axe.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
opps, sry wroung button

[edit on 1/24/2005 by TKainZero]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
In 50 years time the biggest legal issue on the planet will be protecting the rights of machines.

In less than 100 years time there will be little on which to differentiate a "mosh" (bag of skin and bones) from a cyberentity for the purposes of assessing what it is that needs to be led and by whom.

I also believe that in the future the difference between man and machine will be purely academic. In alot of respects we will be the machines humans will have many different types of implants/nanotech in body and brains that will help blur the line between man and machine.

Computers and Robots are evolving a million times faster then humans its only a matter of time before they are our equals but they wont stop there. Some people estimate that by 2025 machines will be near a human level of computing power and by 2050 a million times more powerful.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Someone has been watching too many sci-fi movies, especially I, Robot.

For those who haven't seen the movie, in that movie AI gets sick of all the killings therefore takes over the humans so that they would be protected.

In order for safety, they had to give up their freedom and leadership rights.

As you might have guessed already, the hero Will Smith kills the robot saves the world and all.

My point is that if we can't trust a man to do a job right, how can we trust a machine created by man to do the man's job right?

Surf

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Humans are the ones that have already proven they cant be trusted with power time and time again. Machines on the other hand have showed no such thing. Over and over movies and books portray A.I as evil and out to get humanity, but thats just fiction. A.I that does it job and doesn't harm anyone makes boring movies I guess. Humans are prone to make mistakes its psrt of our humanity Machines do not share this flaw. If they do make a mistake it can be traced back to its human designers.

Just what till Machines are designed and created by Machines.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
They weren't proven unreliable because they were never reliable to be relied upon in the first place.

True that is only fiction, but remember fiction are the first step toward reality.

For God's sake they can't even parallel process. They are still in step by step processing mode, albeit very fast step by step processing mode.

Surf

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I, Robot is a series of nine short stories written in the 1940s by Isaac Asimov. That's when the three laws of robots were written. 1940s, that is. Three decades before Will Smith "the hero" in the Hollywood adaptation was born.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
First off, that is a horrible idea. Like in I, Robot, the A.I. could develop a higher meaning to those laws that we would program into it. Second, I am sure someone would eventually be able to get in and turn off those laws.And if you read asimov's original books, then it states that an intelligent robot would consider itself superior to human beings if the laws were turned off or the equivalent. Third, the whole idea is absolutely ludacris. There is only one major difference between a human brain and a computer chip. And I highly doubt that any of you posting here know it. Human's major power is in their ability to spot patterns. That is all that reading is. Or recognizing a face, even. If you gave a robot a simple mathematical progression, such as exponential growth, the chance is extremely small that it would be able to find that pattern. If we could develop a code that allowed computers to identify patterns, then we would most likely already have a true A.I. That is what happens often-times when a person has a stroke. They lose the ability to distinguish patterns. And besides, Sun Microsystems would be more likely than Microsoft to develop the first true A.I.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Competition

Its more then a governing philosophy of capitalism and sports, its part of what makes us humans. Humans are arrogant creatures we love to show up the other guy, be it making more money, having a faster car,having more power then the other guy. Its one of the things that separates use from robots. This is one reason I think robots would never try to take over the world. They will simply never be able to emote on a level that includes that form of competition. They may function on a level of survival but not fear based survival that would inspire them to compete for space with us carbon water bags.

new topics

top topics

join