It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study into the Genetics of Autism Offers New Clues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Interesting news regarding directional selection and Autism Spectrum Disorder-linked genes.

The full title is "Study into the Genetics of Autism Offers New Clues, as well as More Questions"

This information comes from the medical journal Behavior Genetics, self-described as

... the leading journal concerned with the genetic analysis of complex traits - is published in cooperation with the Behavior Genetics Association.

Researchers from an Israeli university, Ben-Gurion University of Negev produced some interesting findings:

One unexpected aspect of genes associated with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is their exceptional genomic length -- 65 percent longer than the genes of other related diseases, such as Alzheimer’s and schizophrenia. The genes were also found to have evolved from a process called negative selection: this is an evolutionary process where disruptive mutations are negated, and wind up being removed from the gene pool.

Researchers also tried to find any evidence that ASD-linked genes could have been formed through the process of positive selection (where traits are spread throughout the population), but did not find any evidence of this:

"While this kind of mechanism could explain the prevalence of autism in the human population, we found no indications of positive selection acting on autism genes. Thus, while autism susceptibility mutations are in the human genome, they only present as an autism disorder when combined with other genetic, non-genetic or environmental factors.

Our findings suggest that ASD genes have evolved under complex evolutionary forces, which have left a unique signature that can be used to identify new ASD candidate genes." - Dr. Idan Menashe (a member of the BGU Department of Public Health in the Faculty of Health Sciences)

This is fascinating to me. Somewhat recently geneticists have identified genes related to Autism, however these findings show that these specific genes are only one piece of the puzzle.

Article

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am with the camp.... vaccines are the reason for the rise in autism. My nephew has autism.

If the Rockefeller Foundation didn't own everything and control everything I would say it's on the rise because more people living today than ever before recorded history.

Because the Rockefeller and Rothschild do own the majority of our reality I blame it all on them.

The fledgling American Medical Association, formed by John D. Rockefeller just a few years earlier, was worried. Business was sagging. Profits from vaccines and drugs were spiraling. Something had to be done, and done immediately. False, faux epidemics of smallpox were created to solve the problem, and keep the Medical Mafia’s cash registers ringing.
eboladeception.com...

Mr. John D... created the empire we live in today. Like or not.. it's the way it is.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Thanks for posting - I was shocked when the article cited the CDC saying that now 1 in 50 American children are affected by autism. Just recently I remember it being 1 in 63, which was already alarmingly high! It's getting worse and worse... and the Rockefeller's and Rothschilds certainly have their grubby paws in so many things, and profit off of destruction and harm that I would not be surprised by what you said!

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

When you follow the money it becomes as plain as day. Read this site.... there is a wealth of information at our fingertips for free!!

vactruth.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

PCBs in the environment (even though banned in the 1970's) have been strongly implicated as an environmental "trigger" for autism in a genetically vulnerable population.

Genetics is only one component, as you noted. The environmental factors are difficult to pinpoint. There is no "one thing" for every child. It could be one thing for child X and another for child Y. It could be multiple environmental or other factors all at once too, which is most likely.

Thanks for posting! (Sorry, I know I should provide links but I can't right now. )

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
WebMDa reply to: AboveBoard

Mercola

drexel.edu...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Abstract Non–dioxin-like (NDL) polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are widespread environmental contaminants linked to neuropsychological dysfunction in children. NDL PCBs increase spontaneous Ca2+ oscillations in neurons by stabilizing ryanodine receptor (RyR) calcium release channels in the open configuration, which results in CREB-dependent dendritic outgrowth. In this study, we address the question of whether activation of CREB by NDL PCBs also triggers dendritic spine formation. Nanomolar concentrations of PCB 95, a NDL congener with potent RyR activity, significantly increased spine density and the frequency of miniature EPSCs in primary dissociated rat hippocampal cultures coincident with upregulation of miR132. Inhibition of RyR, CREB, or miR132 as well as expression of a mutant p250GAP cDNA construct that is not suppressed by miR132 blocked PCB 95 effects on spines and miniature EPSCs.

PCB 95 also induced spine formation via RyR- and miR132-dependent mechanisms in hippocampal slice cultures. These data demonstrate a novel mechanism of PCB developmental neurotoxicity whereby RyR sensitization modulates spine formation and synaptogenesis via CREB-mediated miR132 upregulation, which in turn suppresses the translation of p250GAP, a negative regulator of synaptogenesis. In light of recent evidence implicating miR132 dysregulation in Rett syndrome and schizophrenia, these findings identify NDL PCBs as potential environmental risk factors for neurodevelopmental disorders.

Keywords: CREB, dendritic spines, developmental neurotoxicity, microRNA, polychlorinated biphenyls, synaptogenesis Go to:

Introduction Dendritic spines are the primary site of excitatory synaptic input, and their formation is critical for normal neural function (Segal, 2005). Abnormalities in the density or shape of dendritic spines are associated with many neurodevelopmental disorders, including mental retardation, autism spectrum disorders (ASDs), and schizophrenia (Fukuda et al., 2005; Penzes et al., 2008; Bourgeron, 2009; Garey, 2010; Svitkina et al., 2010).

edit on 18-10-2016 by FamCore because: Fix Drexel Link

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Autism and schizophrenia share many chromosomal anomalies; but where schizophrenia has disruptions, autism has a doubling. Bernard Crespi's research is where I first stumbled upon a connection.

Among their findings, data from studies of head and brain size “phenotypes” -the physical or biochemical characteristics of organisms as determined by genetics and the environment - show that autism is commonly associated with developmentally enhanced brain growth, while schizophrenia is characterized by reduced brain growth.

Link

Another article that kind of distills some of the research he is involved in.

Link

He has a large body of work, but you may have to hunt for it.

My daughter and myself (I am female) are both on the autistic spectrum, and on my side there is a family history of schizophrenia (exclusively in the women oddly enough), so his ideas fit snugly into my own experience and world view. All of which of course means I am biased toward this perspective I admit.

To everyone else, while the genetic and environmental pressures that may contribute to ASD are certainly complex, I think that ASD, and even schizophrenia, are written into our genetic code by necessity. Sometimes things go awry and you get someone who may not be particularly functional but sometimes people that think differently are a catalyst for innovation or even social change that may be necessary for our survival in the long term. My daughter and I are not broken, stupid, unhappy or even impaired; we are admittedly weird though.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

This is Gold redhorse, thank you for sharing. I had no idea there was such a link, this is quite telling..

Great input. thank you for contributing such valuable info to this thread- much appreciated

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ

When you follow the money it becomes as plain as day. Read this site.... there is a wealth of information at our fingertips for free!!

vactruth.com...

So in spite of the evidence the OP has posted it's still "no, vaccines did it?".
And you wonder why anti-vaxxers are seen as scientific imbeciles.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?

vactruth.com...

So in spite of the evidence the OP has posted it's still "no, vaccines did it?".

The evidence does not disprove vaccines cause autism (aside from vaccines given to pregnant women) as it was not designed to do so. It merely studied fetuses. The study wasn't designed to address regression after birth so using it to argue that point is not logical.

And please stop using the term "antivaxxers". It has long been used by nasty newspapers to slander innocent people.. we should be able to discuss it with some civility.
edit on 19-10-2016 by riley because: fixing bad grammar

(post by GetHyped removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: riley

vactruth.com...

The evidence does not disprove vaccines cause autism (aside from vaccines given to pregnant women) as it was not designed to do so. It merely studied fetuses. The study wasn't designed to address regression after birth so using it to argue that point is not logical.

And please stop using the term "antivaxxers". It has long been used by nasty newspapers to slander innocent people.. we should be able to discuss it with some civility.

The evidence proves there's no causal association with vaccines and autism.
That means vaccines have nothing to do with autism at all, at any age and any stage of development.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
iaomt.org...
www.ruvzca.sk...

I haven't a clue what study you're referring to regarding foetuses.
Can you link it please.

And no, I will not stop using the term anti-vaxxers because it describes them perfectly (for an example see post #2 above).
The real fact is that there's really no discussion to be had, the science is perfectly clear but since it falls outside of the anti-vax belief system they fabricate "discussion".

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: riley

vactruth.com...

The evidence proves there's no causal association with vaccines and autism.
That means vaccines have nothing to do with autism at all, at any age and any stage of development.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
iaomt.org...
www.ruvzca.sk...

I haven't a clue what study you're referring to regarding foetuses.
Can you link it please.

And no, I will not stop using the term anti-vaxxers because it describes them perfectly (for an example see post #2 above).
The real fact is that there's really no discussion to be had, the science is perfectly clear but since it falls outside of the anti-vax belief system they fabricate "discussion".

Just realised you're saying the OP's evidence doesn't disprove any link.
You're right it doesn't but neither does it suggest one so when an anti-vaxxer jumps in with the very tired and very disproved *vaccines cause autism" trope it gets my back up.
The OP's link suggests a possible genetic pathway which may form part of the overall puzzle but the second poster effectively dismisses it with "vaccines did it".
Site decorum prohibits me from actually calling people like that what I would like to, they're getting off lightly with being called anti-vaxxers.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Some researchers say schizophrenia is also linked to psychic abilities.

My nephew who is autistic is an absolute genius.

His mother is also with the camp vaccines cause autism.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Always interesting to read about this topic.

I was diagnosed on the spectrum as an adult though I estimate I would have been earlier had visibility of this topic been more prevalent 20 years ago.

I've also heard that autism is much more likely to affect males for whatever reason.

Here's hoping they find out more in the future.

top topics

join