It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Evidence for Fluoridated Water to Result in Less Cavities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The Cochrane Collaboration, which releases comprehensive reviews regarded as the gold standard in assessing public health policies, found water fluoridation may not prevent cavities.

In a review of every fluoridation study they could find, only three since 1975 looked at the effectiveness of water fluoridation at reducing tooth decay among the general population and had high enough quality to be included.

The studies found fluoridation does not reduce cavities to a statistically significant degree in permanent teeth.6 Further, in the two studies since 1975 that examined the effectiveness of fluoridation in reducing cavities in baby teeth, no significant reduction was noted there either. Study co-author Anne-Marie Glenny, a health science researcher at Manchester University in the United Kingdom, told Newsweek:

“From the review, we’re unable to determine whether water fluoridation has an impact on caries [cavity] levels in adults.” While they couldn’t prove that water fluoridation is beneficial, they did find that it causes harm. About 12 percent of those living in fluoridated areas had dental fluorosis that was an “aesthetic concern.”

Dental fluorosis is a condition in which your tooth enamel becomes progressively discolored and mottled, and it’s one of the first signs of over-exposure to fluoride. Eventually, it can result in badly damaged teeth and, worse, it can also be an indication the rest of your body, such as your bones and internal organs, including your brain, have been overexposed to fluoride as well. It is not only an aesthetic concern.
articles.mercola.com...

People seem to argue whether chemicals used to fluoridate drinking water are safe or not. This topic is whether it has any benefits or if the harmful effects outweigh the benefits. Do you think it effectively prevents cavities?

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It probably doesn't do much to prevent cavities when you drink ten times as much Mountain Dew as you do water, which seems to be common where I live.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

So, more fluoride then?

If its not helping they should give us more of it. Maybe they could have injections at the local grocer...

/sarc

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

For higher doses dentists offer fluoride rinses. I wouldn't recommend it but you can argue that I am not a dentist either. I asked my dentist how effective it is and he said he doesn't know.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Sodium Fluoride is classified as a neurotoxin.

a report from the world’s oldest and most prestigious medical journal, The Lancet, has officially classified fluoride as a neurotoxin — in the same category as arsenic, lead and mercury.

wakingscience

Thing is, like every other toxin its declared 'safe' in smallish quantities, lol.

edit on 14-10-2016 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: BiffWellington
It probably doesn't do much to prevent cavities when you drink ten times as much Mountain Dew as you do water, which seems to be common where I live.

Its probably not effective enough to withstand one 20oz mountain dew.

But a groundbreaking study published in the journal Langmuir uncovered that the fluorapatite layer formed on your teeth from fluoride is a mere six nanometers thick. To understand just how thin this is, you'd need 10,000 of these layers to get the width of a strand of your hair!

Scientists now question whether this ultra-thin layer can actually protect your enamel and provide any discernible benefit, considering the fact that it is quickly eliminated by simple chewing.
articles.mercola.com...

edit on 14-10-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
put the flouride... in the soda.

NOT in my water. I have to drink that stuff, you know.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

No worries. Its in the soda too

new topics

top topics

join