It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Really Scary Stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Some of you may have seen this, but below is a Vice News story about glaciers melting in Iceland. I encourage everyone on ATS to watch this video if you have not seen it already. The Iceland story is about 15 mins. long.

Whether you believe in climate change or not, this is happening and it's reality. This is going to have a profound impact on several layers of our lives. To be honest, what worries my the most is that wars over resources and land in on the horizon if we continue at our current. Right now, these issues are isolated to 3rd world countries, it will eventually spill over to 1st world countries where me, you, and your children will be impacted by this.

youtu.be...
edit on 4-10-2016 by SeekingAlpha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SeekingAlpha

Here ya go:

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: WilburnRoach

Thanks

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I could be wrong cause i'm not a scientist but I think I heard that there's extreme melting in the Arctic and extreme freezing in the Antarctic. I don't know what this will do to the Earth's equilibrium but I don't think it will be very good. Add in the fact that we've broken heat records consecutively since 2012 and the picture isn't so pretty for our future.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I have some friends from Greenland who visit Denmark every summer, they are hunters.

What they tell is, the perma frost is melting making their hunting ground impossible to traverse, southern Greenland has become a swamp from melting water, each year becoming worse, animals are migrating further north for the same reason getting hard to reach.

They are struggling to survive, that's straight from the source.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Why are you scared by this?

These changes have happened all throughout Earth's history. It would be strange if the Earth weren't changing...THAT might be scary.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeekingAlpha
about glaciers melting
So you make a thread about glaciers melting and somehow manage to not mention glaciers melting in the thread title? This is an example of "How to make a failed thread title that avoids mentioning the topic of the thread".

Yes glaciers are melting, but why does that scare you? Did you buy or build a house 1 meter above sea level? If so, you shouldn't have done that.

When the ice melts, what do they find underneath it? In some arctic regions they have found remains of wildlife and lush forests.

Ancient Greenland Was Actually Green

“We have shown for the first time that southern Greenland … was once very different to the Greenland we see today,” said study leader Eske Willerslev of the University of Copenhagen.

Less glacial cover in ancient Greenland means the global ocean was probably between three and six feet higher during that time compared to current levels, the scientists say.

“To get this site ice free you would’ve had to remove the ice cover from about the southern third of Greenland,” study team member Martin Sharp, a glaciologist at the University of Alberta, Canada, told LiveScience.

So it's returning to the state it used to be in before, why should I be scared by that? My house is 440 feet above sea level and I wouldn't buy or build a house that's too close to sea level. So that's the other problem with your thread title, not only do you not even mention the subject, but what you decide to put instead isn't even the slightest bit true, it's not scary at all, not to me, and probably not to the scientists who are reporting that all the ice that's melting wasn't there before.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

These changes have happened all throughout Earth's history. It would be strange if the Earth weren't changing...THAT might be scary.

This.

It has happened before, but the carbon tax pushers would have you believe this is happening for the first time and we are to blame for it.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

sorry to be asking this...arent you in the AGW camp...and shouldnt you be screaming about all this ?

I seem to remember you being scientific minded...and melting glaciers is one of the scientific motherships of AGW theory ?

Sorry If I got you mixed up with somebody

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

The rate at which it's occurring is the alarming part.

Climate change isn't an idea anymore or a hypothesis, it's real. And weather or NOT are responsible for it, we have a responsibility to try and do something about it - one way or another.

That narrative, of protecting the planet, is valid from any ideological standpoint, be it religious, secular, conservative or liberal.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I heard third hand from uncredited sources that the sea level is not rising.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I though ice melted in the summer? like it does every year? From what I have read from my news feeds, the Arctic ice is not melting as quickly as it's supposed to this year.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Climate change isn't an idea anymore or a hypothesis, it's real. And weather or NOT are responsible for it, we have a responsibility to try and do something about it - one way or another.

That narrative, of protecting the planet, is valid from any ideological standpoint, be it religious, secular, conservative or liberal.

~Tenth

Why is the rate alarming? We don't know how fast it melted nor how often in the last several million years. Everything is speculation at this point...or fear mongering. The fact is, most people believe in climate change. It's the cause of climate change and to what degree mankind is responsible which seems to be the argument of the day. There are many things the earth is in control of which we can do absolutely nothing about. There is no need to protect earth from itself. Man has done enough invasive damage trying to control mother nature.
edit on 5-10-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Why is the rate alarming? We don't know how fast it melted nor how often in the last several million years. Everything is speculation at this point...or fear mongering.

Yes, we can calculate what it was like back then vs now. That's what Climate Science is.

The fact is, most people believe in climate change. It's the cause of climate change and to what degree mankind is responsible which seems to be the argument of the day. There are many things the earth is in control of which we can do absolutely nothing about.

That argument doesn't hold much water. " I don't think we can do anything about it, so let's just not do anything about it, lets not even worry about making it better or worse in some little increment, let's just forgot about it all together.

I don't subscribe to man made climate change either just so you know, but I do know that as humans, we have this incredible ability to invent things and do things that change the world around us. This challenge is a perfect example of how humans could come together and help make a huge crisis somewhat better.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have been saying for years this is a natural phenomenon due to scientific studies however the consensus is changing stating it's more anthropogenic than it is natural.

Although natural factors have always influenced the state of Arctic sea ice, research strongly suggests that today's decline is driven by the novel influence of anthropogenic CO2 we've added to the atmosphere and thus is unique in Earth's history.
www.skepticalscience.com...

What will we do about it? Change our comfy way of life? Pay to the big guys to buy bigger houses?

Also is there a reason why they are drilling in the arctic?? Oh yeah.. we will go at any length to rape the earth of her resources! It's pathetic really.

The people and animals that live in the Arctic depend on its unique ecosystem to survive. Yet major companies like Shell and Exxon are making aggressive moves to usher in a new “oil rush” in the Arctic Ocean. In some places it has already begun. Russian oil giant Gazprom has already begun producing small amounts oil from the Arctic in the ocean north of Russia.
www.greenpeace.org...

Foreign Countries as well as the US cannot wait for it to melt!! We pay carbon tax and they pay to break the ice with ice-breakers.

‘In the Arctic a new ocean is opening before our eyes, promising access to resources and opportunities once thought impossible’, remarked Vice Admiral Peter Neffenger, as he discussed how these economic incentives are transforming maritime activity and impacting US Coast Guard operations in the region.1 The acknowledgment that human activity will drastically intensify over the next decade as sea ice recedes prompted the US government to release in May 2013 the National Strategy for the Arctic Region in an effort to better position the United States to meet the challenges and emerging opportunities that lie ahead.2 The need to ensure that maritime activity in the Arctic Ocean is conducted in a ‘safe, secure and environmentally responsible’ manner motivated the US Coast Guard to follow suit and articulate the strategic objectives for the service’s engagement in the region.3
link.springer.com...

If they are melting and people are concerned including our Governments then why are there ice-breakers helping melt the ice? Just doesnt make sense to me.

This is emblematic of the disparity between Russian and U.S. capabilities in the strategically important Arctic. Russia has launched as many icebreakers in June as the U.S. Coast Guard has launched in the past 40 years. With the Arktika and the Ilya Muromets, the Russian government now possesses 24 icebreakers. Nineteen more are operated by Russian companies. The U.S. sails two. Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Paul Zukunft acknowledged, “We’re not even in the same league as Russia right now” in the Arctic. To make matters worse, the Polar Star just celebrated its 40th birthday and is now operating far beyond its intended lifespan. It is set to be decommissioned in 2022 with no replacement for at least several years. That would leave the Coast Guard with only one active icebreaker, the Healy, which cannot operate in the Arctic during the colder months. Thankfully, the U.S. government is beginning to take this gap seriously. The Coast Guard finally requested a sizeable amount of funding for the icebreaker program this year after President Barack Obama made it a personal priority in his September 2015 trip to the U.S. Arctic. The Senate recently added $1 billion for the program to the 2017 defense appropriations bill, though this legislation is still being considered by Congress. Even if the Coast Guard receives this robust funding, it is only the first step in rebuilding its Arctic capabilities. The service has held that it needs three heavy and three medium polar icebreakers to fulfill all its mission requirements. Zukunft’s predecessor and current Department of State special representative for the Arctic, Adm. Robert J. Papp, argued earlier this year that the U.S. might even require eight icebreakers. There are actions the government can take to accelerate this revitalization. First, the Coast Guard should consider procuring foreign-built icebreakers. As these foreign companies are already producing the ships, they would be able to build them for the Coast Guard more quickly. They could also be significantly less expensive.

dailysignal.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

There is no need to protect earth from itself. Man has done enough invasive damage trying to control mother nature.

I totally agree. If we would take care of the Earth it would still go through changes but with all the raping and pillaging it cannot be "natural" for the Earth and has to have consequences. Look at what we have done to the seas. It wont get any better and the Earth will have to clean herself in a way that will indeed be scary when she revolts.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

We certainly do have a responsibility to care for the planet. But...

Imagine a car that's starting to run sluggishly. While the mechanics are on their way, a shaman shows up and proclaims that evil demons are hurting the car and must be exorcised. Others join him and they all stand around chanting. The mechanics show up but they can't even get close enough to raise the hood for all the chanters. Then the chanters notice the mechanics aren't chanting and attack them for not listening to 'reason.'

That's a pretty good metaphor for what I see happening to the planet. There's a lot that needs to be addressed: expanding landfills containing a mix of indestructible plastics, hazardous waste, and compost; deforestation; radiation leaking into the Pacific from Fukushima; islands of plastic waste; smog; ad infinitum. But we don't concentrate on those... we stand around chanting some crazy theory about carbon dioxide. Nothing gets fixed.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

We should indeed do something about it, although I doubt we could ever make a significant impact on Earth's climate. But taxing our carbon footprint is not the way to go about it, that just serves to make the elite richer and help fuel their private jets.

edit on 5-10-2016 by BlueShaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeekingAlpha
a Vice News story about glaciers melting in Iceland.

did you watch your own video? its greenland not iceland...
big difference

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

~Tenth

Why is the rate alarming? We don't know how fast it melted nor how often in the last several million years. Everything is speculation at this point...or fear mongering. The fact is, most people believe in climate change. It's the cause of climate change and to what degree mankind is responsible which seems to be the argument of the day. There are many things the earth is in control of which we can do absolutely nothing about. There is no need to protect earth from itself. Man has done enough invasive damage trying to control mother nature.

yes, we do know how fast it's melting, and yes, we do know how often over that last several million of years...why?.....scientific study over decades, something you dismiss entirely....YOU don't know, or don't care...don't include your ignorance, with the collective pronoun "we"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join