It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolute Zero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
absolute zero is -497 correct me if im wrong but at that temperature even atoms stop i was wondering if there was a way to get colder than that what would

• would space time not exist?
  • happen would we create anti-matter?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Isn't absolute zero, 0 degrees Kelvin? Which is -273.15 degrees Celcius. There is speculation that it is possible to get colder than 0 degrees Kelvin, but I think it is still very debatable whether it is actually possible or not. There have been recent topics here discussing exactly this topic... Do a search... you will find plenty of info here to answer your questions...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by klain
absolute zero is -497 correct me if im wrong but at that temperature even atoms stop i was wondering if there was a way to get colder than that what would

• would space time not exist?
  • happen would we create anti-matter?

Absolute Zero en.wikipedia.org...
It can be shown from the laws of thermodynamics that the temperature can never be exactly absolute zero; this is the same principle that ensures no system may be 100% efficient, although it is possible to achieve temperatures arbitrarily close to it. At very low temperatures in the vicinity of absolute zero, matter exhibits many unusual properties including superconductivity, superfluidity, and Bose-Einstein condensation.

Bose-Einstein condensate en.wikipedia.org...

A Bose-Einstein condensate is a gaseous superfluid phase formed by atoms cooled to temperatures very near to absolute zero. Under such conditions, a large fraction of the atoms collapse into the lowest quantum state, producing a superfluid known as Bose condensation or Bose-Einstein condensation.

Bose-Einstein condensates are extremely fragile. The slightest interaction with the outside world can be enough to warm them past the condensation threshold, causing them to break back down into individual atoms again; it will likely be some time before any practical applications are developed for them. However, several interesting properties have already been observed in experiments.

-Bose-Einstein condensates can be made to have an extremely high gradient in the optical densities, resulting in extremely low measured speed of light within it; some condensates have slowed beams of light down to mere meters per second, slower than a human can move on a bicycle.

-A rotating Bose-Einstein condensate could be used as a model black hole, allowing light to enter but not to escape.

-Condensates could also be used to "freeze" pulses of light, to be released again when the condensate breaks down. Research in this field is still young and ongoing.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
yeh ive heard of this

Bose-Einstein condensates

rhey said that titan is so cold that this is whats there

top topics

join