It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate overwhelmingly votes to override Obama veto on 9/11 bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

But after an intense, lengthy push by 9/11 survivors and families of victims who want to sue Saudi Arabia based on claims the country played a role in the 2001 terror attack, even Obama’s Democratic allies on Capitol Hill voted to override his veto. The final vote tally was 97-1. Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-.Nev., cast the sole vote against override.

"In our polarized politics of today, this is pretty much close to a miraculous occurrence," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas. Democrats and Republicans in both chambers have agreed, he said, that the bill "gives the victims of the terrorist attack on our own soil an opportunity to seek the justice they deserve.".

www.usatoday.com...

Time will tell how the Saudis react to lawsuits.

Didn't the US government pay families after 9-11?

Given the wealth of SA, this shouldn't be a big deal except ego wise.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
WOW congrats to the senate on finally finding a way to work TOGETHER.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This makes it look as though SA was behind the attack instead of some random citizens.

But if this opens the door for persons to sue countries, the US is in for many lawsuits. Maybe someone here has some background on suits against countries based on citizen actions.

link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I believe this opens quite a can of worms. There will be lawsuits against the US because of it. Think "drone strike" and you can see a bunch of lawyers lining up to take the US to court for damages. Not saying that shouldn't happen - but I guarantee there will be remorse in the Senate over this decision down the road.

- AB

link   
Harry Reid was the lone dissenter. Big surprise!

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

To bad it's not something to help fix the US problems.

link   
I'm still not entirely sure this is a good idea... I feel like it has a good chance to undermine our treaties. While I'm not a big fan of being allied with Saudi Arabia, and highly distrust them I think I'd prefer them as allies rather then enemies.

link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Yes, it takes away international protections that have been in place a very long time. I'm not sure why they want to go there but they did. I think it was an "optics" issue - you don't want to be seen as doing anything that might harm the 9/11 survivors.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'd love to know why Harry Reid voted no. The world will be a better place once that old fool is finally out of office.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Didn't the US government hand out some fairly large checks after 9-11.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I'm still not entirely sure this is a good idea... I feel like it has a good chance to undermine our treaties. While I'm not a big fan of being allied with Saudi Arabia, and highly distrust them I think I'd prefer them as allies rather then enemies.

With "friends" like the Saudis, who needs enemies?

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The bane of most so called democratic societies has been the insistence on party before politics.

The sad fact is that party affiliation has become so entrenched that members almost always vote the party line, regardless of whether that is actually a good or a bad thing for the country as a whole.

I hate this, and believe it must change.

Congrats to the senate in this case.

This is not simply an American problem, it happens in all so called democracies bar a few notable exceptions.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I don't even wanna think about the bill the U.S. will owe Japan...

link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

The sad fact is that party affiliation has become so entrenched that members almost always vote the party line, regardless of whether that is actually a good or a bad thing for the country as a whole.

That's the number issue with the US Congress followed closely by lobby money to effect legislation.
edit on 9/28/2016 by roadgravel because: typo

link   
I get the principle of this bill, and in a vacuum I agree with its passing but I do agree this opens a can of worms.

But we will see what happens.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

For what? Repairing Hawaii after the pearl harbor attack?

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

By itself, I applaud the Senate.

But nothing ever happens in a vacuum. There will be repercussions from this decision. Remains to be seen what they will be.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Let's open this can of worms and maybe the powers that be will straighten their # up.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

All in all I think this is good news. We will see what comes of it.. and if the Obama Administration has any comments

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
I get the principle of this bill, and in a vacuum I agree with its passing but I do agree this opens a can of worms.

But we will see what happens.

If all you have to eat is rotten meat, a can of worms could be a healthy change I guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join