It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danville, Virginia: Police opening car hoods to block their own dash cams.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Plus, I wasn't drug tested the entire 6.5 years I was there except for in the very beginning. I know for a fact that some of the guys were taking illegal steroids to 'get their swole on'. So roid rage may very well come into play on some of these excessive force deals.

Part of the reason I was fired was because I had a really bad reaction to prescription steroids. That sh*t can make you batsh*t crazy (don't worry, absolutely nothing happened ON duty, just a lot of crazy talk off duty). But they wouldn't even consider that I had a valid reason for behaving how I did. I was also fired for 'being involved in a disturbance'. When I went to the ER for medical treatment I was tackled off a gurney and choked by a male EMT literally a foot taller and 200 lbs heavier than me, even though I was sitting there in my underwear. So I'm the victim of an assault off duty, but I'm fired for 'being involved in a disturbance'. Riiiiiiggghhhhttt.

Drug tests and zero tolerance for steroids would probably help a lot. Not firing right away, but serious treatment and desk duty until you're fit for the street again. But everyone is afraid to seek treatment for mental illness or drug abuse because they're afraid they'll lose their job if they admit to it.

Speaking of mental illness: I wanted to see a therapist a couple of years before I was fired (not for anything major- because I had recently had a baby on my own and wanted some tips on the best ways to explain our unconventional family to her in a way that she didn't feel bad about not having a dad). I had to go round with the insurance company to get approval for mental health related visits. Then, I still hadn't covered the yearly deductible so I had to pay out of pocket. $300 for the first visit and $150 for each subsequent visit. Maybe if mental health treatment were readily available- if not required- officers would be in a better state of mind as well. It is a seriously stressful job. That's why lots of officers are alcoholics- trying to come 'down' after being on a shift of 'up up up'. And if cannabis was legal that would help A LOT. Officers being medicated with cannabis once they get off their shift would be far better than self medicating with alcohol or even being prescribed pills.

* The mental health would have to be totally independent of the department. The joke about that is 'speak into the mic'. No officer trusts the department.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

Wow sounds like a nightmare....thx for sharing your experience....

I really am at a loss as to how this kind of systemic bullying and corruption was able to infiltrate the police department.....it makes me suspicious that these things have been going on since the dawn of policing it is only recently that a lot of details are being made public, and obviously the improvements in technology and recording devices helps expose some of it.....

I agree drug testing would certainly help, i also believe some sort of help for a police officers mental state should be mandatory, it is quite clear that police get burnt out quickly as it is such a stressful job....

<< 3  4  5   >>

join